Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba´s 9252 on 6.0 volts

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:01 PM
PeterDays

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba´s 9252 on 6.0 volts

Hello

I am currently putting together my first jet, I have bought most of my gear from the US but it is very expensive to get here so i decided to get the servos here in my country. The Boomerang does not require High Torque Servos so i was looking for something in the 100 oz range (for ailerons and rudder). Sad to say the servo options are not very wide here also. The LHS had in stock some 9252´s Digital all purpose. They are very conmonly used here by helicopter pilots.

The thing is that Futaba states that they should only be used with Nicads at 4.8 volts and I am planning on using Duralites Lion on 6.0 volts. The Duralite setup with these servos is the norm with the semi large helicopter pilots and they assure they have not had any problems. The LHS owner is a very well respected Heli flyer and he stands by on this choice of servo for the setup.

As you might understand I don´t want to take any chances so I come here for the opinion of the experts in the matter

Thanks in advance for your help

Pedro
Old 10-31-2006, 06:44 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Futaba´s 9252 on 6.0 volts

If Futaba says not to they must have a reason. Go to the manufacturers forum and ask there. Bax should be able to tell you the reason
Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Patrnflier
My Feedback: (1)

I run 9252's but I regulate the 6.0 volts to 5.1 and have never had a failure. Regulating also makes the servos more consistent as the voltage in the battery tapers off. The regulators are so light I would not think weight would be an issue. Also if you use one like the Jaccico (Central Hobbies sells them) with a switch, if it ever would fail, it is wired so the regulator would still be ON.

just my 2 Cents,

Marty
Old 10-31-2006, 09:57 PM
3D Joy

ORIGINAL: Patrnflier

I run 9252's but I regulate the 6.0 volts to 5.1 and have never had a failure. Regulating also makes the servos more consistent as the voltage in the battery tapers off. The regulators are so light I would not think weight would be an issue. Also if you use one like the Jaccico (Central Hobbies sells them) with a switch, if it ever would fail, it is wired so the regulator would still be ON.

just my 2 Cents,

Marty
Well, not really inline with the thread but do you really see a difference between 7.1 volts and 6.2 volts ???
Old 11-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Patrnflier
My Feedback: (1)

I have run both and when regulated there is no difference in the performance of the radio system. There is a difference in weight, normally the 7.1 is Lith Ion or now li poly, the 6 volt packs are normally 5 cell nimh or nicad. It can mean the difference in pattern of making the 11lb weight limit or not.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:20 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

They will run fine on regulated voltage, the warning stems from 2 things.

Early generation NiMH batteries couldn't deliver the amps because the internal resistence was too high and the voltage would drop off when power hungry servos would load down the battery. This isnt an issue with larger NiMHs but you need to make sure you use quality packs with good cells, the Duralite and Fromeco's dont have any problems delivering the power.

Also a fully charged 6v pack can run over 7 volts when hot off the charger, as the voltage goes up the dead band narrows and the servos wear out prematurely because they chatter too much trying to find center, remember digis already have a fairly narrow dead band to begin with.

There's lots of helicopter guys flying those servos on 6v regulated power but personally I use the Duralite 5.3 volt regulators, less wear and tear on the servos and no noticible difference in flight.