Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Stepper controller interface to receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Anomie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stepper controller interface to receiver?

yes, i resurrected this thread because i want to make it work. i've put too much freaking work into this to give it up (plus, i can't find another way to move the steering because of my goofy setup).

if anyone can provide some insight into whether i need a a/d converter or custom closed-loop system, please let me know.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Anomie

So, I now have an [link=http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno]Arduino Uno[/link] processor sending signals to the stepper controller and it in turn is moving the stepper motor. The experiment involves a potentiometer moving the motor as it is turned. So far, it works, albeit slowly. The motor RPM seems limited to ~200 and I need it to turn faster (on the order of 1500RPM). I have addressed this in the forum supporting the Arduino processor and so far a few tips have helped, but still the motor speed is nowhere near where it needs to be.

If anyone has tooled around with this type of interface, please let me know. I'm not pulling my hair out as of yet... but soon!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Anomie

I have also researched using a linear servo that is designed to work with an RC receiver. Expensive, but it would enable me to push and pull the steering without any rotary motion.

Maybe one of these days someone will drop a miracle in my lap and tell me how I can run a standard DC motor or servo that turns more quickly than with its own feedback pot. I thought about trying a servo that has its pot gear-driven off the lead screw. Perhaps that will do it.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Anomie

I am going to continue posting ideas here until something wonderful happens.

The latest idea is to use a high-torque servo and remove the final drive gear so it can turn at a higher rate of speed. Perhaps a Hitec HS-7940TH. That model has lots of torque at 7.4V and it might be enough to turn the lead screw.