Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz modules for Futaba and JR announced

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz modules for Futaba and JR announced

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:56 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz modules for Futaba and JR announced

Yes, the MZ module uses the trainer port to get the PPM signal.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Check your PM's.

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

ORIGINAL: aerobob

DX7 runs at faster rate, supposedly higher than nearly all PCM rates (HUGE thread about "latency" measurements on a heli forum on this subject).

Do you have a link to that heli forum?
Got it, thanks. Very interesting!
Anyone thinking of buying a module system should take a look at that

Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Hello,

Do the Spektrum 2.4 GHz modules for Futaba transmitters consume more power than the native Futaba transmitter? Will there be any need to increase the capacity of the transmitter battery when using a Spektrum 2.4 GHz module?

Thanks,

-Ed
Old 02-23-2007, 12:03 PM
dsnyder

Edit
Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

Thanks, I'll see you there. I have mine on backorder already! But, I'll have my DX7 in my Baby Boomerang.

Regards, Bill
Old 02-23-2007, 12:43 PM
RotorNut

I think the technology of spectrum is great, but the price of these modules are ridiculous. $239 for the module and an AR7000 receiver as opposed to $349 for a DX7 transmitter with 4 DS821 servos and a AR7000 receiver.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
NormS

ORIGINAL: Mike Sieniarecki

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Hi Mike,

can you please comment on whether Futaba's upcoming FHSS based 2.4 ghz aircraft radio systems can interfere (in any way) with SpeKtrum's DSSS systems?

Thanks --qc
nonstoprc,

Great question! Per Futaba’s announcement, their 2.4GHZ FASST system uses Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS); while Spektrum uses Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS). In either case, while Futaba’s system hops from channel to channel within milliseconds, it will not interfere with Spektrum’s system even if it lands on one of the two channals the Spektrum system acquired.

Hope this helps a bit,
Mike, I think everyone agrees that DSSS and FHSS systems work well with each other once they are up and running, but I have read on other forums that frequency hopping systems like Futaba's interfere with Spektrum's ability to find two clear channels and link up the transmitter and the receiver at startup. I have no idea if this is fact or rumor; can you please specifically address this issue?. BTW, if it helps, Futaba's announcement says that their system hops every 2mS. If it uses all 160 channels, does this mean that on average, once every 160mS a single Futaba system will "hit" a Spektrum system on one of its two channels?
Thanks a lot.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

It's important to compare the cost of "conventional" modules and top-of-the-line PCM receivers for those "super" module TX's. I know, until the end of December I had a JR 10X.... a module and 955RX was at least $225.... and to be frank, to "match" the versatility of the Spektrum stuff (frequency-wise), you'd have to use the Synth JR 2000 rx and module, and those are $300....so....it all depends on perspective, and whether it's apples to apples, I think.

ORIGINAL: RotorNut

I think the technology of spectrum is great, but the price of these modules are ridiculous. $239 for the module and an AR7000 receiver as opposed to $349 for a DX7 transmitter with 4 DS821 servos and a AR7000 receiver.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:14 PM
d_wheel

Why did someone delete the answer to my question about the Futaba MZ module? I asked if the module uses the trainer port to input it's ppm information, and was answered by, I'm pretty sure, dsnyder that it indeed does. Why would this message be deleted? If the answer was incorrect, jut pony up and say so.

Since the action was taken, it still leaves the question unanswered. Does the pigtail cable exist or not? Look at this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5462843]picture[/link] and tell me you don't see the shadow of a cable.

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Bob Pastorello

On that other place, the Futaba v.s. Spektrum "conflict" issue was discussed.... the GUID system on the front end of the Spektrum is stated to "ignore signals, even if on the same channel, if the GUID does not match what it is expecting". The GUID is "set" into the RX when you bind it to the DX7 system.

In the module systems, I'm betting that the "model match" feature will NOT be there, and that the front end of the AR9000 will not be rejecting non-GUID match signals.

But I would like to see an answer on this, too, as the coding is important.... of course, the modules may be doing a unique GUID just by nature of their design. Haven't read anything about that yet, myself.

This is all COOL stuff to be learning. I sure appreciate authoritative presence from the manufacturer/distributor on this forum!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Mike Sieniarecki
My Feedback: (3)

[/quote]

Mike, I think everyone agrees that DSSS and FHSS systems work well with each other once they are up and running, but I have read on other forums that frequency hopping systems like Futaba's interfere with Spektrum's ability to find two clear channels and link up the transmitter and the receiver at startup. I have no idea if this is fact or rumor; can you please specifically address this issue?. BTW, if it helps, Futaba's announcement says that their system hops every 2mS. If it uses all 160 channels, does this mean that on average, once every 160mS a single Futaba system will "hit" a Spektrum system on one of its two channels?
Thanks a lot.

[/quote]

NormS,

I’m not sure this is a true rumor; however, I do think sometimes by simply asking the question, it can create unclear answers until someone can help educate on the issue. So, in this case, I will speak to the Spektrum side of the issue to hep clear up the uncertianty.

When the Spektrum radio is turned on, it searches the 80 available channels. As we know Spektrum allocates two of those 80 channels for redundancy. If the scan sees any one of the 80 in use (say a Futaba system or other for example), it will continue to scan until it finds two dedicated, unused channels. If the system is unable to find two dedicated, unused channels when turned on, it will not transmit until two become available. So in essence, the answer specifically to your question is no, there will not be interference from Futaba or other with the Spektrum system.

One more note on this issue, if an FHSS system hops to a Spektrum dedicated channel for the stated 2mS, the signal will not have Spektrum’s patented Global Unique Identifier (GUID) which is required by the receiver to operate; this virtually eliminates the chance of a stray signal from interfering with the Spektrum system.

Does this help, or did I make it more confusing LOL?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:22 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

Danny Snyder,

All radios except DX7 refreshes servo pulses at a very SLOW 40-50 times per second. By using dual aileron servos on channel 2 and 6 for instance, the servo on channel 6 receives its command to move somewhere around 10 mili-seconds after the servo on channel 2. This is regardless of how fast a guy can bang his stick, PPM, PCM, etc.

Are you saying that the DX7 receiver sends out servo signals to channel 2 and 6 simultaneously? I have thought about asking my LHS owner to let me hook up my scope the the servo outputs just to find out. I would be easier if you can answer. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
siwind

I own a 12Z could you anwser the question that d wheel asked?

"Does the Futaba MZ module have a cable that connects to the trainer port of the transmitter, or does it get it's ppm signal directly from the module port? "
Old 02-23-2007, 01:26 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flyingazn, Spektrum has had surface modules available for a few years now. [link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM1114]Here's a link to one of their surface products.[/link]
ORIGINAL: flyinazn10

very exciting news! especially because i was considering selling my tx to get a DX7. im wondering if anyone knows if the same thing will be available for surface transmitters as well? would love to convert my rc car stuff to 2.4ghz as well
Old 02-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Mike Sieniarecki

ORIGINAL: coronabob

Danny Snyder,

All radios except DX7 refreshes servo pulses at a very SLOW 40-50 times per second. By using dual aileron servos on channel 2 and 6 for instance, the servo on channel 6 receives its command to move somewhere around 10 mili-seconds after the servo on channel 2. This is regardless of how fast a guy can bang his stick, PPM, PCM, etc.

Are you saying that the DX7 receiver sends out servo signals to channel 2 and 6 simultaneously? I have thought about asking my LHS owner to let me hook up my scope the the servo outputs just to find out. I would be easier if you can answer. Thank you.
coronabob,

I believe Danny may have been trying to explain ServoSync: a patented feature of the DX7. Essentially when a mix is activated in the programming, the radio simply reallocates the sequence of the signal. Instead of 12345657 your referenced mix would now be 1263457.

Note: since this is a software based feature, the new module systems will not include it.

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2007, 01:35 PM
arobatx

Mike Sieniarecki,

Your quote: One more note on this issue, if an FHSS system hops to a Spektrum dedicated channel for the stated 2mS, the signal will not have Spektrum’s patented Global Unique Identifier (GUID) which is required by the receiver to operate; this virtually eliminates the chance of a stray signal from interfering with the Spektrum system.

It this also true for the module systems regarding the GUID and the way the system ingores stray signals, or is this specific to ground up systems like the DX7?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
arobatx

Quote:

I believe Danny may have been trying to explain ServoSync: a patented feature of the DX7. Essentially when a mix is activated in the programming, the radio simply reallocates the sequence of the signal. Instead of 12345657 your referenced mix would now be 1263457.

Note: since this is a software based feature, the new module systems will not include it.

Thanks,

[/quote]

Guys, would this be something we could perhaps look forward to in a software upgrade should we send our TXs in for service? Danny?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Bob Pastorello

EVERYBODY ---- Please re-read the LAST line of Mike's reply here..... to ME, this is the major (and important) difference between "modularized" and "ground-up" Spektrum systems. There is "neat stuff" happening inside the Spektrum TX that the others just don't have yet (I don't think).... and this channel sequencing is just one of the "biggies"....

I *know* from using a 10X alongside the DX7 that the "sequencing" of mixing of channels is visibly different, and when you combine that with longer latency, it's easy to see the real innovation in the Spektrum design..... IMO

(No - I'm not sponsored by Spektrum, or JR, or ANYBODY.... I just am very enthusiastic about this newest development in our hobby world)

ORIGINAL: Mike Sieniarecki

ORIGINAL: coronabob

Danny Snyder,

coronabob,

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM
dsnyder

I was talking about part of the antenna mount and mistakenly said the trainer port. It was my error.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Mike Sieniarecki

ORIGINAL: arobatx

Mike Sieniarecki,

Your quote: One more note on this issue, if an FHSS system hops to a Spektrum dedicated channel for the stated 2mS, the signal will not have Spektrum’s patented Global Unique Identifier (GUID) which is required by the receiver to operate; this virtually eliminates the chance of a stray signal from interfering with the Spektrum system.

It this also true for the module systems regarding the GUID and the way the system ingores stray signals, or is this specific to ground up systems like the DX7?
arobatx,

The GUID is encoded during the bind process on all Spektrum Air products including the new air module systems. Keep in mind the added Model Match feature included in the DX7 is a software feature, so consequentially the modules will not have Model Match.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:49 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

In the pictures it looks as if the 9000 receiver has 10 ports? Is that correct? Would it be an issue to plug multiple batteries into these ports?

Could two receivers be used in a single application if more than 10 ports are needed?

Under what applications would the additional satellite receiver be recommended?

Also would it be an issue to use a lipo in the transmitter with this module?

Thank you

Rob
Old 02-23-2007, 01:52 PM
arobatx

Though there are tricks within the Spektrum programming, that are not programmable in the module systems, and currently not offered as a program upgrade for computer radios, still we are staring at the same Spektrum system, still equal or faster than our PCM systems, even considering the lack of model match and latency. So for those with decent investments in current computer radios with modules, still a damn good option in the meantime while we look forward to newer releases that are sure to come.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Bob Pastorello

AMEN!!!! Couldn't agree more!!!

ORIGINAL: arobatx

Though there are tricks within the Spektrum programming, that are not programmable in the module systems, and currently not offered as a program upgrade for computer radios, still we are staring at the same Spektrum system, still equal or faster than our PCM systems, even considering the lack of model match and latency. So for those with decent investments in current computer radios with modules, still a damn good option in the meantime while we look forward to newer releases that are sure to come.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Mike Sieniarecki

ORIGINAL: RobT

In the pictures it looks as if the 9000 receiver has 10 ports? Is that correct? Would it be an issue to plug multiple batteries into these ports?

Could two receivers be used in a single application if more than 10 ports are needed?

Under what applications would the additional satellite receiver be recommended?

Also would it be an issue to use a lipo in the transmitter with this module?

Thank you

Rob
RobT

The ports are:
1-9 channels
1 data port (for the flight log)
2 ports for two additional remote antennas (includes one).

The second remote antenna (not included) is not needed, but for big or high dollar aircraft, it can be used to place in another location.

The flight log is the cool component; this is used to view the performance of each receiver after every flight. This gadget is the key to the truth about how well these systems really are. Check out www.spektrumrc.com for more info on that one. This is going to be awesome in our jets!

We are not recommending using a Lipo in the TX.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:14 PM
DCT129

It looks to me,, you can buy a NEW radio for that kind of money!!![]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.