Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Futaba 12 FG
10.70%
Spektrum DX7
27.68%
Extreme Link Modules
23.25%
Spektrum Modules
9.23%
Futaba Modules
29.15%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

How are you going 2.4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
porscheaddiction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How are you going 2.4?

I already made my choice when the Dx-7 first came out. I'm happy with it so far.
Chris.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Vinnie6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would really like to see a Spektrum 9 channel 2.4 and a Futaba 9 channel 2.4. From reading the posts in this thread, it looks like many people want a 9C 2.4. I hope the companies come through for us. I wish modules were much, much cheaper. The Spektrum modules just do not seem worth it when you can get a radio with servos for a little more. Xtreme link is less, I know, but not an option for me. Maybe Futaba modules will be less $. For now, I am waiting to see what's coming.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 AM
v8mini

have just started out flying and have gone straight for the DX7, feels good and the guys at the field like it, a few are in the process of converting over
Old 04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

better add JR in there now
Old 04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Flip and Fly

Oh I really am hoping that Futaba comes out with the 9C on 2.4 SOON! JR is out with there 9 Channel setup and a little competition will bring the prices down
Old 04-13-2007, 08:02 AM
JRexA

I am waiting for the Nomadio Solution.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Flip and Fly

Nomadio looks very interesting, but when? Not even a little clue[&o]

I guess they have been rocking the car radio world, is that fact?

At this time I think I am leaning towards the Futaba complete system. A 9 Channel would be best and I am willing to wait for it. Let the saga unfold a little.

Why, Futaba has been at this for a long time, it will be interesting to see how well the FASST system works once the masses get on to it.

In the end it all gets very personal, overall 2.4 is far better than 72MHz.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:20 PM
smacfe

Although I have been a Futaba user since converting from Pro-Line years ago, dealing with the PEOPLE at Horizon has been a breath of fresh air compared to the arrogance which had been growing at Futaba/Hobbico/Great Planes. If this whole episode serves as a wakeup call to them to value their customers more, then I stick with Futaba. However, if you still are treated like dirt unless you fly a 47% Extra, then Spektrum here I come.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
saitofreak

Good point. Hope Futaba take note. Spektrum has gained a lot of points for being the first commercial aero 2.4G provider.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Got the XtremeLink Hitec/Futaba and 8 channel. Would love to try it but will be a while if the weatherman is right.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:38 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

I myself is looking at the extremelink for my 9c super. I have followed them for a long time and have very good points on they technology. Right now seems a lot of people are getting a little annoyed with them since Toledo. So far i still have my eye on extremelink. The option for incorporating telemetry amazing.

- T-minus 92 posts to go -
Old 04-15-2007, 08:24 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've not had one single glitch on my DX7. As a matter of fact, I've never had a glitch on my 10X Tx with the selectable frequency module and 2000 scan select Rx. I must be a new technology freak as I plan to switch to the 12X when available. In the interim, I may use the AR9000 RX and Spektrum TX module with my 10X. This way I hope to stay compatable with the tons of $ I have tied up in JR equipment. Besides I've always had great service with Horizon. At this point, it's too early to tell if there is an advantage of one 2.4GHz system vs. another.

Steve
Old 04-15-2007, 03:19 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

x link all the way talked to them at Toledo bought 2 sets for my 9C went with the 10 CH found out you can link the extra ch. would like to order 6 more receivers how long before you can buy them Rich
Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 PM
alpinestar

12FG. When??? how much moolah???? I really like my 6ex and have 3 rec's for it so far. No probs in a t-rex, lil banchee, and a hog bipe on floats. Have maxed out my 9c on bigger scale projects so the 12 would be nice.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:43 PM
DKflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Spektrum/JR for now. Should be an interesting year though, can't wait to see all the new products when they finally make it to market.

DK
Old 05-04-2007, 10:37 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Extremelink module for my 9C (just shipped apparently). I just bought a 12Z two weeks ago after considering waiting on the FG, but decided to pull the trigger now on the Z after seeing and feeling it; and will be putting a Futaba 2.4 module in that when it becomes available this summer.

George

P.S. You do not allow for multiple choices, so the results may be skewed as I could only vote for one (Futaba Modules), when in fact I'm doing two.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Anomie

I am going backwards. My likely choice will be an older 9Z, adapted for surface use. I see no reason to go beyond the original PCM, and have no desire to go into 2.4 [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 05-07-2007, 04:13 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For some reason you left the Spektrum DX6 off the survery. Based on what I read on the forums, the DX6 is still selling well to the small plane market, so you are overlooking a bunch of people.

Likewise JR is missing from your Survey. JR has their own line now based on Spektrum technology. They should be added.

Right now I am most likely to go with XPS or Spektrum modules so that I can use multiple brands of transmitters with my planes. I have a 9C and a Hitec Prism 7X. Someday I might want a JR. Who knows?

If I go with a Futaba module for my 9C, or a Futaba 12 2.4, then I can only fly my planes with Futaba. If I ever want to make a change to Hitec or JR or something else, I am out of luck. This would be similar to having all Futaba PCM receivers, it locks me into Futaba. I have 14 receivers but only one is PCM.

If I go with Spektrum modules I could use a Futaba, JR or Spektrum transmitter and eventually a Hitec transmitter too. Spektrum has the most proven track record, so that weighs heavily in their favor. And the fact that JR has adopted the technology AND that Horizon is backing all this REALLY weighs in their favor.

If I use XPS I can use those plus Airtronics or Multiplex, so I am watching the reports on XPS. So far they look good too. If their one piece recievers can stand the range test for sailplanes, I might prefer this route as the two part Spektrum could be hard for me to install.

I don't know what my next transmitter will be, so I want to stay flexible. So far, XPS offers me the greatest flexibility with Spektrum right behind.

I am not likely go get a Futaba module or a Futaba 2.4 GHz system to avoid the lock-in.

Whatever I do, it will probably Santa who will get the request.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Eric.Henderson

Finally I have settled on a 2.4 GHz plan for myself.

To para-quote Spektrum, the Air Module Systems utilize the existing PPM output of your existing radio to build the secure DSM2 link.

- The number of usable channels is determined by the number of channels output by your radio’s PPM stream. For JR users, this translates into a maximum of 9 channels, while Futaba® radios output a maximum of 8 channels via the PPM stream.

- The Spektrum Air Modules are compatible with DSM2 receivers from Spektrum, including the AR6100, AR7000, and AR9000.

This is really great for me! I have a bunch of transmitters that can be set to FM (PPM) and will physically accept the module.

My 9CAP’s will get a Futaba TX module. My 10X and 10SX-II family will get the JR TX module. I can then buy any of their receivers and use them with any of my transmitters.

I will try the JR TX module in my 347, 388, 873, 8103 collection, just for the fun of it. They are all pretty close to retirement and heading for combat planes etc.

With this plan I can fly almost all of my planes with my either my Futaba or JR transmitters.

It appears that I will also be compatible with the announced, dedicated JR 2.4 radios coming out soon.

The beauty of havening a plan is that you have some direction and it can be improved as you go.

I also saw that they have a wireless connection for the FS One RC Flight Simulator from Hangar 9. Once the adapter is bound to a Spektrum DX6 or DX7 radio users can operate the sim~ wirelessly. It also allows users to take advantage of the software in the transmitter and eliminates the hassle of any wires. I like the idea of hooking up my PC to the S-video input of my big screen, and “sofa-flying” through the winter unencumbered by the “short” PC to TX lead. I am guessing that my other radios will drive the sim~ up to the first 7 channels. :-)

I took a bath moving from 27 mHz to 35 mHz and then another moving to the USA and 72 mHz, and then 1991 receivers etc. None of them had the benefits of 2.4 GHz.

Sometimes things get better

Regards,
Eric.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: Eric.Henderson

My 9CAP’s will get a Futaba TX module. My 10X and 10SX-II family will get the JR TX module. I can then buy any of their receivers and use them with any of my transmitters.

Sometimes things get better

Regards,
Eric.
Note that hte AR6000 does not work with the modules. A disappointment to me since I find that one most attractive for its better range and dual receiver design as compared to the AR6100.

Just be aware.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

- The number of usable channels is determined by the number of channels output by your radio’s PPM stream. For JR users, this translates into a maximum of 9 channels, while Futaba® radios output a maximum of 8 channels via the PPM stream.
FYI, on the 14MZ you do have 12 channels in PPM mode.

DKjens
Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Eric.Henderson

Quite right.

I was cutting and pasting some of the text, to get it right, from their web site. If I had typed the sentence it would have said "For JR "10" users, this translates into a maximum of 9 channels, while the Spektrum module for the Futaba® 9C radios will output a maximum of 8 channels via the PPM stream."

I have had a long discussion, elsewhere, about the loss of the "10th" channel. So far I have yet to use it as a channel. Most of the time I have it dissabled as a pot-channel (Code 17 INH) and programmed as a base-channel or "switch" to give a starting point for my various trim mixes such as an extra trim on a twin throttle or setting the landing trim in-flight on a flap prior to more permanent mixing. In these cases it does not use the output channel but still has a function within the TX.

One thing I am sure about is that my Specktrum mode-1 TX's 2.4 upgrades will drive the airplanes that I build and test fly for folks and then let me put the program on their 2.4 mode-2 equivalent radios.

I still believe that the futaba and JR servo channels will stay different. e.g. Ch-1 = Ail-fut and Thro=JR.

Regards,

Eric.

ORIGINAL: DKjens

FYI, on the 14MZ you do have 12 channels in PPM mode.

DKjens
Old 05-11-2007, 04:21 PM
aeajr

Can anyone explain why transmitters have fewer channels in PPM then they do in PCM?

I thought this was an annomoly with my 9C but I see that is not the case.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:36 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Can anyone explain why transmitters have fewer channels in PPM then they do in PCM?

I thought this was an annomoly with my 9C but I see that is not the case.
The following is my WAG on this. The transmitter has to get ALL of the data out to the RX within a certain amout of time (frame) before the next frame starts with the next round of new data. PCM simply takes more of that time per channel to be encoded than PPM does. It simply runs out of time.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 PM
RCMustang

I put my money into Xtremelink. I like the technology the best. I bought both JR and Futaba modules, since I'm converting a 9303 and a pair of 7UAFS systems. So far the Xtremelinks have been flawless in both radios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.