Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 401 Gyro + dig servo

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 401 Gyro + dig servo

A couple of questions, I just purchased a 401 and the matched digital servo that came with it. First, I notices that the servo was very LOUD like it was under pressure to center. I could reduce this by lightly turning the head with my finger but the humming never goes away (it did reduce some after being one a while). Is this Normal? (it even does this with no servo arm in place.)

Secound - I have not setup the Gyro yet and I simply do not get it yet. I have built a new SuperTiger V2 30 Heli and now going through the setup. I have never used a "heading hold" gyro and I do not understand the basic concepts this over a normal gyro. I am using a super7 radio and I need better understanding of how this thing is supposed to work. I also can not find an explination of the flashing light sequences in the instructions (did I just miss it?) I resourses you could provide would be helpfull.

Steve
Old 03-11-2003, 04:33 AM

Heading Hold is pretty simple. The gyro has a computer inside that calculates the velocity and distances the tail travels and causes the tail to push in the opposite direction to correct any tail movement. A normal gyro will only try to stop tail movement, it can't correct for how far it's traveled, so it drifts if it moves very slowly.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:45 PM

Default Now I get it.

After reading and rereading the instruction and seeing first hand what was happening.......I get it. It was really throwing me for a loop bacause when the stick is moved even slightly off center in the AVC.. mode, the servo slowly moves to the end point....but now I understand why.

By the way, I did find the explination of the lights in intructions. One more question, when if ever do you want to fly with the heading hold disabaled? (ie, normal gyro mode).

How do you guess at a good starting point for the tail roter center? I added about 5deg. against the main but have no idea if this is too much or too little as a starting point. Any guesses? I will need to set the mechanical center for non-heading hold, normal mode.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:43 PM

I have this combination, and it works well. How do you properly set up the travels. I set the adjustment screw on the gyro for the limits, but now when I move the sticks of my JR 8103, the last 25% in unavailable both ways. Should I reset the gyro to maximum throw and adjust the movement with the travel adjustment on the radio?

Thanks

mark
Old 03-12-2003, 12:31 PM
My Feedback: (2)

MANY modelers never use non-heading hold mode. Many modelers who flew non heading hold for years feel more comfortable using it or at least having it as a safety net, i guess incase the heading hold "freaks out".
Old 03-12-2003, 09:01 PM

The big question is that before the first flight, I would like to get the tail router pitch at least close......But aprox what pitch would be close? I am guessing at 5deg.