Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Ground check problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 04:28 AM
dainjarouz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground check problems?

Well I finished tuning the engine and doing those little things to get the plane ready. Now I just performed the 1000 foot ground check for the Tx and Rx. Well, I was barely about 300-350 feet away when the planes controls were glitching and then they stopped. Both the Tx and Rx batteries were fully charged. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:31 AM
Steve Guinn

Those other guys weren't lying to you.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:05 AM
Giant Scale

Now I just performed the 1000 foot ground check for the Tx and Rx. Well, I was barely about 300-350 feet away when the planes controls were glitching and then they stopped
A 1000 foot ground check? If my math is right thats over 300yds away. How can you even see the control surfaces move at 300 yds? Most ground checks are done between 50 and 100 feet with the transmitter antenna down. Putting this aside is the model glow or gasoline powered? Was the antenna on the transmitter collapses or extended? How did you route the receiver wire? More info is required.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:23 AM
dainjarouz

Originally posted by Steve Guinn
Those other guys weren't lying to you.
Just trying to get as many opinions as I can.

As for my model. Its glow, the antenna was extended. The antenna routing...I took it out of the Rx, wrapped it once with foam rubber, placed the antenna lengthwise on the foam rubber and overlapped it again so the antenna was between two pieces of foam rubber. Then i routed it out through the hole.

As for how I could see the control surfaces at 1000 feet...my dad was controlling the Tx while i was 1/5 mile away
Old 03-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Steve Guinn

You took the antenna out of the Rx? I don't understand.
Anyway, the receiver antenna should be fully extended. It should not be doubled back on itself.
It does not need to be covered in foam.
Many people route the antenna to the top of the vertical stabilizer. I prefer to tack glue (hot melt) in a couple of spots to the bottom of the fuselage.

The Rx should be wrapped in foam, not the antenna.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Steve Guinn

I think I finally understand your description. The antenna is fully extended, but runs between two layers of foam as it exits the receiver.
This should be fine.
Do a range check with the antenna down. Walk 100 ft. away and check your control response. If they work properly, put your antenna up and fly the airplane.
Good luck,
Steve
Old 03-21-2003, 04:27 AM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ground check problems?

Originally posted by dainjarouz
. Well, I was barely about 300-350 feet away when the planes controls were glitching and then they stopped. Both the Tx and Rx batteries were fully charged. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks in advance.
Next time your out with your Dad and he has the TX antenna extended out,
hold the plane over your head.
It seems that you may have place some stress on that RX antenna wire.
No need for all the foam.
Keep it in the clear.
With the TX antenna shoved in you should get an easy 100 feet and if the RX is close to the XTAL frequency you may even get 150 feet.
If you can't get the proper range check then don't fly.
Remember from my last note to you.
When you operate the TX you pull current from the batteries and a bad pack could do just what you have now.
Keep us posted