Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
 Antennas breaking off the Spectrum small receivers >

Antennas breaking off the Spectrum small receivers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Antennas breaking off the Spectrum small receivers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Antennas breaking off the Spectrum small receivers

We have had a couple problems with what looked like interference with guys and their spectrum radios in mid size electrics. It turns out the the antennas are breaking off the PC board. One of the Heli guys commented "yeh, they break all the time" I don't fly them, but thought it would be good to give a heads up. The little receiver one guy showed me this morning had the wires broked right at the PC board. It looks line there is not strain relief and the viberation is causing them to break. Just a guess, but I'd bet money on it. I think it would be a good thing to look closely at where the wires are attaching the PC board, tug on them lightly and see if they are OK. Another of the electric guys checked his this morning after the first reported his find and the second guys antenna popped right off in his fingers when he toughed it. At least he didn't loose a plane as a result.

Don
Old 09-24-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Antennas breaking off the Spectrum small receivers

The new receivers have the base of the antennaes reinforced with shrink tubing. I don't think there will be any more problems.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:31 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spotted that as a potential problem at first sight. I put a drop of hot glue where the antennas (antennii ?) exit the RX case.

So far so good.

JD
Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JD, good idea. We had talked about using RTV, but one of the guys catutioned that some of it may cause corrosion. The hot glue should work OK. I'll pass it on to the guys.

Don
Old 09-26-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jerdavis

I spotted that as a potential problem at first sight. I put a drop of hot glue where the antennas (antennii ?) exit the RX case.

So far so good.

JD
FYI - Another simple fix is to use the air line tubing from retracts systems. It pushes on easily and really protects the antenna wire. I use it on all of my R7000 and R9000 receivers. Not sure if the smaller ones have that little stub of support that I push the tubing over?

Regards,

Eric.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ez fix?
a little blob of RC56- I did this on first series of 6100-/ 7000 -for some reason --one antenna on each rx had one "short" insulation
RC56 is effectively inert.
the 6200 had the small "support tubes as original parts