Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:56 PM
allr
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Hello,

I am reading alot and hearing about a heat problems with futuba problems. Is there any problems with the JR/Specktrum?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:26 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: allr

Hello,

I am reading alot and hearing about a heat problems with futuba problems. Is there any problems with the JR/Specktrum?
no, and Do Not Buy any Futaba equipment, it will burn down your house and planes..STAY AWAY!

honestly, just follow the guidelines and you'll have no issues.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: summerwind

ORIGINAL: allr

Hello,

no, and Do Not Buy any Futaba equipment, it will burn down your house and planes..STAY AWAY!

honestly, just follow the guidelines and you'll have no issues.
Well I've never experienced the Santa Anna winds, until now
ROFLAMO,
Pete
Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

hi,

my meat thermometer say's 160 degrees is medium done.

I certainly don't want to be on the flightline when the temperature of my receiver equals the temperature of my roast beef dinner!

Phil
Old 07-08-2008, 11:40 PM
summerwind

i think of my 6014 as a mini microwave.............my wife and i will never have to worry about a cold meal..................Futaba always provides

here in Fresno, we are being treated to some severe temps over the next few days............i'm betting i will not have any problems.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 PM
summerwind

well gee wizz guys.......it's the early part of summer and the temps here are 111* and will be 113* tomorrow....................surely someone with a Fasst system is gonna report a crash right?
it's really funny that ever since this thread started, how many reports of heat issues and crashes have been reported?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe two or three? We sure do have lots of experts on the subject though, although it seems many of them don't even have FASST radios. Odd.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Maybe two or three? We sure do have lots of experts on the subject though, although it seems many of them don't even have FASST radios. Odd.
Zactly...........................i just thought it was funny how long this thread has gone on, and no crash reports........only vigurous and torturing of equipment by some.

anyways, i'm glad that no one has actually lost their model due to heat.
nothing worse than losing a toy for unforeseen circumstances.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Over on FG I believe there were a few reports of models lost due to heat issues. Not a lot, but a few.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

........and just how did they know that it was heat that crashed their plane. Planes crash for other reasons. I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know since I have a 10C FASST. I would think most giant scale planes tend to cool off as they become airborne due to a little circulation in the fuselage. I will make sure that mine has a little ventilation through the cabin.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

........and just how did they know that it was heat that crashed their plane. Planes crash for other reasons. I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know since I have a 10C FASST. I would think most giant scale planes tend to cool off as they become airborne due to a little circulation in the fuselage. I will make sure that mine has a little ventilation through the cabin.

Ken.I have a R6014FS 2.4 in my 33% Waco. I placed the reciver in the rear cockpit area so as to get some air around it during flight. ( that is a very big hole that rear cockpit area.) A week or so ago it was 113F out my way. I took the Waco out and flew it about 1.5 hours totel that day. ( no problems with the gear) After each flight I would roll the plane back under the patio area during down time. But like I said no problems with the radio at all. This was not the case however for the pilot (me) that type of heat is just too much for me to be outside for very long. I did not measure any heat values on the plane even though I had my thermometer with me. Maybe if I get real stupid again and go flying in that type of heat again I will take some temps just to see what I come up with.

My point is.........just use a little common sence when mounting the reciver and pay attention to Futabas guide lines on the operation heat value for its recivers and you should be fine.

And don't wrap those 2.4 receviers in foam, that will get the internal temps up quick. I just use a piece of velcro to hold the thing down. These new 2.4 recivers are really strong and don't need so much viberation protection as some of the 72 recievers.My engine is a RCS 215 so there is almost on viberation anyways.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Big_Bird

Steve, I don't know how you can take that kind of heat at the field. 95* is about my limit. I really don't have any worries about the 6014. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That is why those of us who think sensibly through these issue need to stay on point whenever a whiner raises a new bogey man theory. Of course there can be real issues with RC equipment, been around this hobby a long time, but the alarmists distort facts to assuage their lack of knowledge/experience and want 'it's not my fault' soothing for their problem.

Notice most of the original bashers are gone from this and other threads because they don't get the 'poor, pitiful you' response or kissing of feet because they are the unwashed RC'ers savior.

As political operatives learned years ago, disinformation is more effective then fact. BS is more fun to digest, facts can be boring.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Tinman!

ORIGINAL: Woketman

Over on FG I believe there were a few reports of models lost due to heat issues. Not a lot, but a few.
I believe that those reports in the FG thread begin with "a friend was flying..." I don't think there were any first-hand accounts (of crashes).

The one report that may have been true (still third-hand info) seemed odd too. Guy claimed his friend was taxiing out while another flier was landing when the plane suddenly went WOT. That does not seem like failsafe to me.

I live in Lake Havasu City, AZ, and let me tell you the weather here is HOT. I have FASST in three planes and have never once had any of the receivers fail. Several times I deliberately left the canopies open, exposing the receivers to brutally hot sun for a good 30-45 minutes. Still could not make the receivers fail. (And I wouldn't normally leave my planes exposed to hot sun like that.)

The three planes are a 27% H9 Extra 260, 40% Comp-ARF MX-2, and a 35% Aeroworks Extra 260. Two of the receivers are 617s, and one is a 607 (got each receiver separately, and from different vendors, so they aren't likely close in production runs). Will be getting a 10C soon, and will then try the 6014.

If anything, I suspect this issue might boil down to a very limited number of receivers failing at around 130 degrees F, instead of 160 F. I tend to think it's not 6014-related because all FASST receivers use essentially the same chips and are rated at the same temp.

I also think common-sense precautions should be taken (don't place receiver in greenhouse-like canopy, keep plane covered, keep receiver covered if it's exposed to sunlight at all, etc.).

Regardless, FASST has so far handled the hottest part of our summer and I'm talking 110-120 F ambient. It's already 95 degrees by 6 AM; about the time I am ready for my first flight. In case anyone is wondering, "how the heck can you fly in that heat?", it's not too bad if the wind is up. I stay in the shade till ready to fly, use a mister/fan water bottle, cool-down neckties, and guzzle some cold water before heading to the flight line. Heck, I need more help in the heat than my planes!

Mike

Old 07-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm more curious as to how the heck you can wake up that early to fly RC. Ouch
Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
pilotpete2

Well, now we have a good use for those "fan fold" car window thingies (an oddity here in Vermont), They make a nice tented sunshade for the fuselage if it has to sit in the sun for any extended amount of time.
Pete
Old 07-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Tinman!

I'm more curious as to how the heck you can wake up that early to fly RC. Ouch
LOL. I basically change my schedule in the heat of summer so that I am up by 4 AM. This gives me a lot of time do stuff before the temp get super hot. The good thing is that I can fly just about every single day (i.e., during weekdays I can fly 2-4 flights, bring the equipment home, and still make it to work on time). I often have a flight in before 5:30 AM (to beat the sun).

Back to FASST, It's nice to see this thread is rather balanced. The one on FG seems to draw people in that assume it's a horrible, and of course widespread, disaster. I mean we are well into summer now and if it was trully that bad I would assume the reportsinvolving crasheswould be literally flying in (no pun intended! ).

Mike

Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 AM
allr
My Feedback: (49)

I have been reading this thread over the past few days and it is interesting the number of opinions about FASST. I will only say this. My flying buddy just received his new Futuba FASST receiver. Reading the paper work that came with it, I found it was interesting that it states a heat problem under certain conditions and mentions that Futuba system are not compatibly with other systems like servos ie.

So the bottome line is that there is a problem with the FASST system.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 AM
pilotpete2

I think you need to take a course in reading comprehension
Would you please post exactly what you read that makes you think the FASST system has a "problem"?
Pete
Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

I think you need to take a course in reading comprehension
Would you please post exactly what you read that makes you think the FASST system has a "problem"?
Pete
[sm=lol.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=idea.gif][sm=idea.gif][sm=idea.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Silent-AV8R

I think I can help.

Hitec makes servos that do not work with some Futaba radios. Clearly Futaba's fault!! What other possible explanation could there be.

Some people who have installed and operated their 6014 FASST RXs beyond what Futaba recommends (in high heat environments) have had spurious issues. Again, clearly Futaba's fault. Any equipment problem is ALWAYS the fault of equipment itself and NEVER the fault of the person using it.

Perhaps it is you who needs help in understanding simple basic modeler logic??
Old 07-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Big_Bird

I have an ancient 80" w.s. Rookie with an A&M 2.4 cuin gasoline engine. It is my expendable airplane used for receiver testing. It has a mix of old Airtronics, Futaba, and Hitec servos, all analog. Saturday I flew my 10C FASST with 6014 receiver without a sign of a glitch. The temperature was about 97*. Prior to flying I did a range test with/without the engine running. The manual says that I should have at least 100' of range in the transmitter power down mode. I must have walked over 300' in both cases without a glitch. I didn't walk further because I was having a hard time seeing the surfaces.

This receiver will go in a multi thousand dollar 42% plane with a DA-150 in the nose. I trust the receiver. I will also be using reasonable precautions for keeping it cool as I do with all of my other planes. I will be using a Smart Fly Power Expander and all digital Futaba servos. Pete, from what you said, you probably won't buy one.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 AM
summerwind

i tested my 6014 and 1 of my 608's this weekend, on the range test i got tired of walking and had the plane almost OOS as i walked 150 paces trying to find it dead spot......nice thing about the new firmware in the 12Z is that i can restart the RT, which i did 3 times.
very solid radio/Rx's.........not at all what i use to experience before knocking off back in 92.

seriously, the radio use to be the one thing i never had a 100% trust in, but these new 2.4 systems have made the sport so much more fun..............only other thing that makes the radios fun is reading all the stupid hoopla that is posted here
Old 07-14-2008, 12:00 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I think I can help.

Hitec makes servos that do not work with some Futaba radios. Clearly Futaba's fault!! What other possible explanation could there be.

Some people who have installed and operated their 6014 FASST RXs beyond what Futaba recommends (in high heat environments) have had spurious issues. Again, clearly Futaba's fault. Any equipment problem is ALWAYS the fault of equipment itself and NEVER the fault of the person using it.

Perhaps it is you who needs help in understanding simple basic modeler logic??
Silent-AV8R,
Let me understand this correctly, you mean if a chainsaw chops off some morons leg because he was using it improperly it is NOT his fault, but the fault of the chainsaw and the chainsaw manufacturer or if I am driving 100 miles an hour down the freeway in rush hour traffic its not my fault if I get into an accident. I have to say thanks for clearing that up I went through life using common sense now I can stop because I can go ahead and behave like a senseless idiot and blame all of it on the equipment and manufacturer.

Once again common sense here rules. Futaba is not to blame if you guys use your equipment beyond what they say. Rule of thumb should be, if it is too hot for a person to be standing in the sun you should not leave your equipment in the sun.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Inside_Line

Just so you guys know, the airplane/Heli FASST systems are not the only ones having problems. The truggy and buggy race guys are also experiencing some issues with the first version 2.4Ghz Fasst receivers going into thermal protection. I think they are fixing the problem so I've read. I hope they aren't selling those receivers with the new 4PK 2.4 system. I want one of those radios... so nice...[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.