Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
SManMTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

ORIGINAL: xcellheli

SManMTB,
I think the point is your manual was written before Futaba knew they had a problem. It is not in your manual and there is no way of you knowing there was a heat spec before buying it. I would argue even if it was in the manual you most likely would not have known you had a problem since I doubt you have taken temp data of the radio box on your car before. Everyone agrees that you unfortunately got hit by this specification. Many have offered advice toward a solution. We all know how you feel about Futaba, now get over it. It sucks, but life goes on. If you fix your issue, post your solution. Otherwise just drop the complaining. It is not constructive.

This thread has reached the point of being worthless.

It's worth complaining until the manufacturer does right, and it seems they started to do so with the 10C.

Peace and good luck flying.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:49 PM
xcellheli
My Feedback: (1)

SManMTB
Best I can tell, Futaba has admitted there is a problem. They admit the Engineers in Japan are working on it. I assume when they are satisfied they have improved the situation they will make an anouncment. In the mean time Futaba has given mounting suggestions to help avoid the problem all together. And now they are updating literature to let the consumer know the temperature the equipment should safely be operated in.

I assume they have read your failure and have noted it.

What else are they not doing that you think they should?

I am not trying to bash you, but so far I am satisfied with the progress Futaba is making (Of course I am not happy the problem exists at all), but you don't seem to be satisfied. I am just curious.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:53 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm not sure what Futaba is suppose to do at this point.
if one realizes that the cutoff temps in a normal installation are occuring, then either that person is capable of surviving Moonwalks without a protection suit, or they just don't have the sense to come in out of the rain either.
if as you say that the competition car circuit has been able to produce ledgeable issues under normal operating conditions, then i would agree that Futaba has some work to do..............what documentated issues have been presented to Futaba to show them that their equipment is bunk?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: summerwind
or they just don't have the sense to come in out of the rain either.
This may be true since most all of the manuals for Futaba radios clearly state not to operate the radio in the rain.

I wonder if somebody went out a flew in a pouring rain and then crashed if we would be ready extended threads about how Futaba has failed to engineer their radios to work in the environment that the pilot chose to fly in.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 PM
SManMTB

i'm not sure what Futaba is suppose to do at this point.
if one realizes that the cutoff temps in a normal installation are occuring, then either that person is capable of surviving Moonwalks without a protection suit, or they just don't have the sense to come in out of the rain either.
if as you say that the competition car circuit has been able to produce ledgeable issues under normal operating conditions, then i would agree that Futaba has some work to do..............what documentated issues have been presented to Futaba to show them that their equipment is bunk?
Beats me. I just assume the ones having this issue have said something. We'll see what happens.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

This may be true since most all of the manuals for Futaba radios clearly state not to operate the radio in the rain.

I wonder if somebody went out a flew in a pouring rain and then crashed if we would be ready extended threads about how Futaba has failed to engineer their radios to work in the environment that the pilot chose to fly in.
Sorry, but your attempt at being funny or use logic failed miserably.
But maybe you're right!? Maybe an IP rating for the radio would be good too. LOL
Old 07-17-2008, 08:27 PM
dilled
My Feedback: (2)

I'm not sure what Fubuta should do but I know what I can do. Last mouth when I received my new 10C I sent it back. With all the problems being talked about it just didn't make sence to keep it. It does not make sence to sell a 14C RX with a 10C TX radio.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

If the 72 Meg versions of Futaba (and there was no mention of it in the specs) & all of the other manufacturers radios could be used in the pouring rain, then I'd have to say "YES", there would be a justified thread about it!!![X(]
Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: dilled

I'm not sure what Fubuta should do but I know what I can do. Last mouth when I received my new 10C I sent it back. With all the problems being talked about it just didn't make sence to keep it. It does not make sence to sell a 14C RX with a 10C TX radio.
You made a decision to do what is comfortable for you and I never have an issue with a persons choice. I have used Futaba gear for 20+years with no failures of any kind in sport planes, helis and 33% gassers. This includes FASST equipment since it's introduction right up through a 14MZ FASST update and recently a 10C. No issues, temperature or otherwise.

So I am as comfortable with my choice as you are with yours and I am completely satisfied with Futaba's position on the issues tossed about on these threads, real or perceived.

However I will say you are missing an outstanding value in the 10C and you may want to revisit when the 10 channel FASST receiver becomes available, or just stay with 72mhz PCM. Although 2.4ghz is trendy right now it is emerging technology within our hobby and may not fit all of our wants nor be wrinkle free. I switch between the two thus utilizing all of my equipment, new and past, that has proven 100% reliable for me.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
tkilwein

I have tested my stuff out and found one of my BECs failed before the rx.
HOLLY CRAP I don't even get to go into failsafe, the power source to the rx died.
Lets start a big long thread on the BEC manufacturer.
I have a power expander and it has temp rating also.
My rx's work to 157F with soak time.
Ran out of time for more testing.

As the technology of the silicon used in the IC's advances, we must keep up with it also.
This means unless we use mil spec stuff we need to be more aware of thermal and voltage concerns.

WE the CUSTOMER want inexpensive stuff and one way to get it is not go with
Mil spec stuff but use commercial stuff(much cheaper and lower temp ratings).
I see threads complaining on prices and the manufacturer has to cut costs somewhere
to keep the costs down. In some ways we are our worst enemy.

Still continue to fly my 14MZ 72/2.4 with confidence. For me the lower temp range is not a problem.
I still find it amazing with this and another long thread there is not more reports of problems.
I too am concerned with the temps we can encounter, thats why I tested mine to see limits.
I have a eagle tree logger for in the planes and check parameters when new setups that I have a concern with or just
want to know the data/info.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35222.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	992727  
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: tkilwein

My rx's work to 157F with soak time.

I still find it amazing with this and another long thread there is not more reports of problems.
Your personal tests (and others that have posted results) indicates properly operating equipment performs above Futaba's top of +50C. That tells me their high end published number is conservative.

In my opinion we don't get more reports of problems because there arent' many. There can be real problems with new equipment and technology but it is the hypothetical or rarity that gets over hyped and bloated by a noisy few. Until there are forty or fifty consistent valid complaints about a product I discount it and chalk it up to the occasional manufacturing defect.

Futaba's position, and their equipment, is fine with me.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:56 AM
SManMTB

Spoken like a true Futaba representative.

If 10% of all RC'ers read RCU (like you said) we are already up to 40 or 50 consistent reports.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:50 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me get this right, if someone speaks their opinion and you don't like it, that makes them a company rep?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:16 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Let me get this right, if someone speaks their opinion and you don't like it, that makes them a company rep?
Company rep or as they say over at Fl*ing Gia*ts a FAN BOY

Don't worry 'bout it
Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

talk about beating a dead horse to a bloody PULP........this thread is a must read for those who enjoy comicals...................i think the real problem here and has been all along is user error.
it seems that every product on earth can and will be used by someone who is basically a common MORON, and will indeed figure out a way to shoot their own Toe off and then cry FOUL...............which will then post a "Buyer Beware" topic somewhere on the net to which all other included Morons of the same category will jump in with all fins flappin'.........funny stuff
Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 AM
SManMTB

Let's set everything straight. When I speak my opinion Mr Dick Fanboi doesn't like it and becomes childish. Where is the difference here.

Why are you defending a blowhard like that. Are you his associated dingleberries without a mind of your own.

This thread is pure comedy.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:09 AM
SManMTB

talk about beating a dead horse to a bloody PULP........this thread is a must read for those who enjoy comicals...................i think the real problem here and has been all along is user error.
it seems that every product on earth can and will be used by someone who is basically a common MORON, and will indeed figure out a way to shoot their own Toe off and then cry FOUL...............which will then post a "Buyer Beware" topic somewhere on the net to which all other included Morons of the same category will jump in with all fins flappin'.........funny stuff

It is really funny. That's why this country has so many stupid lawsuits too. It is also the reason manufacturers specifies how to use their stuff. No fun being sued is it?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 AM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

I am amazed.
After more than 300 postings...
This thread started because some flyers discovered that their 6014 will malfunction at high temperatures.
Some people, over time, reported no problems.
Eventually Futaba, by means of a Baxter posting, gave 1/4 of a answer describing how to set the receiver in the plane. I think implicitcly admitting that there was a problem.
Futaba itself has not acknowledged the problem or have stated clearly that there is no problem. I must here recall the famous poisoned Tylenol scare of many years back: the company reacted promptly and removed the product from the shelves. Tylenol is still selling today, very well I think. The way the case was handled by Tylenol was quoted for years in business publications: better to act than to let it fester.

Another Futaba faux-pas was the admission that the signal voltage in those receivers was lower than habitual.... after they have sold many of them, not before. And the recommendation was to use... a power expander.

And now, the result of all this is that we, the flyers, the users of the product, are biting and snarling to each opther instead of concentrating in the reported problem and lobbying for a definite answer from the manufacturer.

It is also somewhat possible that problem reporting in some products, be it Futaba, JR, Spektrum or whatever are marketing campaigns by competitors. The Internet is fantastic in creating a community of people with the same interests but not very good at separating the grain from the chaff.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM
SManMTB

Pretty well put.
[8D]
Old 07-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Flyfalcons

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

Don't worry 'bout it
Ah, I see. Can't argue with facts so you start calling names. Got it.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

Don't worry 'bout it
Ah, I see. Can't argue with facts so you start calling names. Got it.
Inspired by another user here I guess. LOL
Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Flyfalcons

You car guys make no sense.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
SManMTB

You flyers makes no sense either. Just go back and read. Keyword: Dick.T
Old 07-18-2008, 12:56 PM
DougV

This is one useless thread.

Doug.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:09 PM
SManMTB

It went to sh*t.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.