Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

However, it is important to point out the idea that all systems have limitations and potential design flaws, and that we should all realize that no matter what we are flying, it isn't bulletproof.
100% correct and I agree

I have been flying DSM2 with no issues but crap happens
Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 PM
mrjetpilot

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

ORIGINAL: mrjetpilot

But it would have to be working before it can warm itself up.
AHA! but then if it did not work -you could not even start the flight
a failsafe setup

Much like the Futaba's that have quit due to being too hot. Each of the ones that's done it has been on the ground, prior to flight. None have been reported to have crashed due to this issue, so like you say...."a failsafe setup".

In reality, if you look hard enough at anything used in our airplanes, you'll find failures. 99.9% or more of the Futaba FASST or JR/Spektrum users haven't had any issues. Modern radio systems are very reliable, and most crashes caused by "radio failure" are due to the user neglecting something, or just plane pilot/user error.

It's already been shown that there are other manufactures that have equipment with similar temp ranges, so the key is to simply keep your equipment from getting that hot.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:23 PM
superdave01

My Jr/Spektrums dont loose bind but i also actually check my batteries too, "Batteris are charged" never flies with me"

RTK is the smartest one in here, 60C is 140F .............

Flyfalcons..... JR/Spektrum will not bind or unbind if the power is already on, signal wire going to the charge jack only makes binding easier, dont have to remove the wing.

Do we still not have a second report of heat issue on the Futaba stuff???????? Im really thinking it was just a lemon or made up but a heat problem can and does happen with all types of electronics, RC isnt special.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm certainly not saying that Josey. In fact I am holding off on purchasing any 6014s until Futaba makes a statement on the issue. However, it is important to point out the idea that all systems have limitations and potential design flaws, and that we should all realize that no matter what we are flying, it isn't bulletproof.
IMO Futaba not saying anything does say something because it only takes a couple
days to check out their receivers and verfiy if there is any validty to the heat claims.

Me thinks if there was no problem they would have said something by now
Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ira d

I'm certainly not saying that Josey. In fact I am holding off on purchasing any 6014s until Futaba makes a statement on the issue. However, it is important to point out the idea that all systems have limitations and potential design flaws, and that we should all realize that no matter what we are flying, it isn't bulletproof.
IMO Futaba not saying anything does say something because it only takes a couple
days to check out their receivers and verfiy if there is any validty to the heat claims.

oh there's a problem allright...........but i think Futaba is trying to justify why modelers are content to put their Rx's in a posistion under a canopy like they do..........might as well throw them in a toaster.
i subjected one of my model setups to heat by putting the plane inside my Black Silverado directly in the sun a couple weeks back when temps here popped over a 100*.
an hour later everything was good and hot.....................no shutdown.
i do believe that if there is a real problem found, Futaba will make it right.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 PM
ira d

Well the question I have is this I have been this hobby for 15yrs but why is it that
the Futaba fasst receiver are the first that seem to have a problem with heat?
After all people have been mounting receivers the same way for years and also
leaving there planes in the sun on hot days too, But I never have heard of any
heat related issues before the Futaba fasst issue came to light.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 AM
Hirobofly

Well the question I have is this I have been this hobby for 15yrs but why is it that
Hehe, I also started with this hobby for 15 years ago, back then with a glider and a 4ch radio. Now I fly 30% acroplanes, and is it reasonable to expect that I can mount my radio-gear in the same way as back then in my 30% Extra? If not, it must be a defect in the radio-gear...... It does not make it correct today even tho I have been doing a thing in a certain way for years.

People have different motivation to tell all sorts of stories about this "heat-issue", but it all boils down to the fact that they like to bash Futaba.
-Because where is the fun in telling that most radio-gears will fail in extreme temperatures, and not only Futaba FASST?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

One of the interesting things is that there MAY have been issues related to heat before but.... who knew? We attributed our Rx problems to other things for the most part. Interference, some one turning on.. etc. Now that we have a new product we have a new diagnosis for the problem.. maybe its a cause and maybe not. Not so easy to find out acutally.
Given what goes on in the manufacturing process there may be a problem with SOME Rx's (if theres a problem at all), NO Rx's (yet to be determined) or ALL Rx's. OR any mix of those depending on the Manufacturing date etx. Not as simple as it sounds.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Julez

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

ORIGINAL: mrjetpilot

The heat generated by the chip itself is minimal...maybe 5C or so.
MRJETPILOT, MR. Hanson and DougV……

Shame on you guys for presenting facts that don’t coincide with Julez crusade against the evil Futaba empire. Tsk, tsk…one isn’t supposed to question the “official†messiah.
Well, mrjetpilot just supported my case. As mrjetpilot just said, the temp of the chip will be about 5°C higher than ambient. Actually, tests showed that the reciever case itself will be 5°C over ambient, and the chip must be hotter than that, but lets leave it at that.

When a component is 5°C above ambient, and the ambient is 60°C, at which temperature will the component be?
Dick T? Any ideas? Come on boy, I know you can do it!

By the way, what makes you think Futaba is an evil empire?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat and electronics.

Isn't it common knowledge that all commercial integrated circuits (Chips non military grade) begin to fail sporadically after reaching 130/140 F? Seems like wishful thinking to expect anything other than random failure at elevated temperature, any radio or computer or other commercial product.

Bill
Old 06-03-2008, 10:56 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

New technology, new parameters, new methods. I don't do things in this hobby the way I did 30+ years ago. With new technology we have to do things differently, that's all.
Keep your planes in the shade or covered, don't expose rx to direct sun light, assure proper ventilation and all should be fine.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If there is a problem Futaba will issue an advisory just as they did for the GUID issue. If they responded to every moron who feels he is smarter than their engineers, the demands for answers to every silly question would be endless.

Logically, their current advisory at this point covers the issue. If someone feels their receiver is more sensitive than the outlined specs, send it in for a service check. If it doesn't meet specs it will be fixed under the warranty.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Julez

When a component is 5°C above ambient, and the ambient is 60°C, at which temperature will the component be?
Dick T? Any ideas? Come on boy, I know you can do it!

By the way, what makes you think Futaba is an evil empire?
65°C....TADA! Do I get a gold star?

However, what dipstick in their right mind would let their equipment get to 60°C?

Futaba is not an evil empire but your selective, innuendo filled crusades imply it.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 PM
d_wheel

When a component is 5°C above ambient, and the ambient is 60°C

Wow! Global warming must worse than Al Gore thought . People are actually flying when the ambient temperature is 60c (140f)?

Later;

D.W.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
skorp_jon

I don't know where you live. I don't fly when is over 35 C, because it's just too hot for me. I can't stand to be hours on 35 C and when sun is shining. I always wait a little and go fly when is cooler.

It's not just safer for your plane. Is also safer for you.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
ira d

ORIGINAL: RTK

New technology, new parameters, new methods. I don't do things in this hobby the way I did 30+ years ago. With new technology we have to do things differently, that's all.
Keep your planes in the shade or covered, don't expose rx to direct sun light, assure proper ventilation and all should be fine.

I think most people understand that new technology can be different
but if it is then the manufactor needs let people know, as I said before
this has not been a problem in the past.

Of course this may not be all the faast 6014 receivers but just a few.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Julez

No, but you get the chance to explain, why 65°C is a safe temperature for a chip, which is rated only to 60°C according to the manufacturers specifications.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1894928
Old 06-03-2008, 04:58 PM
mrjetpilot

No, but you get the chance to explain, why 65°C is a safe temperature for a chip, which is rated only to 60°C according to the manufacturers specifications.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1894928

Who said anything about 65C being safe? Lets be honest with ourselves. Futaba's not the first company to use parts that are limited to 60C. It's already been shown that Hitech and Weatronic have radio equipment that's similar. I'm willing to bet JR, Airtronics, and others do as well.

Just because people may have been getting away with it in the past doesn't mean that they always will. Perhaps there are other items from other manufacturers (or even from Futaba) that would've failed in similar circumstances?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Julez

Who said anything about 65C being safe?
Futaba did.

According to them, 60°C is ok. According to you, the chip will be at 65°C at this ambient temperature. According to the manufacturer, 65°C is NOT ok.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Dick T.

According to them, 60°C is ok. According to you, the chip will be at 65°C at this ambient temperature. According to the manufacturer, 65°C is NOT ok.
Gads! I've never seen anyone so selectively anal over something so trivial.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who said anything about 65C being safe?
Futaba did.

Ach Du Leiber !! the type face is getting larger and larger as the discussion goes on
Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
mrjetpilot

I think there's a language/terminolgy barrier here. Yes, it has been said that if a chip increased 5C over ambient, and the ambient was 60C, that the chip would then be at 65C. Nowhere did anybody "say" that in that situation it was safe, not even Futaba.

I'm still trying to figure out why Futaba's such an evil empire for doing what other companies have done (using equipment limited to 60C).

I encourage anybody to prove to me that JR and others have never produced any item with a 60C limit on it without publishing it.

I've still only heard of issues coming from a couple people in Arizona, flying giant scale airplanes with the receivers exposed under a large clear canopy, in which the airplanes were left out in the sun. I have yet to hear of a problem in any other normal operating situations, whether it be tinted/painted canopies, airplanes kept under shade, cooler ambient temps, ect.

Is there really a problem here?.....or....Is it operator neglect for letting their receivers sit baking in the sunlight?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM
ira d

If there is a problem Futaba will issue an advisory just as they did for the GUID issue. If they responded to every moron who feels he is smarter than their engineers, the demands for answers to every silly question would be endless.

Logically, their current advisory at this point covers the issue. If someone feels their receiver is more sensitive than the outlined specs, send it in for a service check. If it doesn't meet specs it will be fixed under the warranty.

I have not seen a service advisory that covers the heat issue where did you find it?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Silent-AV8R

I do not think of it as neglect. Rather to me it is just the discovery of an operational limit that was not previously known. I do not agree that this means there is a design deficiency. It is just different.

I concur with the idea that there have likely been other heat related issues that were not identified as such due to the different nature of the equipment. And I grew up flying in Phoenix, so what do I know about the heat. Oh, and I also lived in Tucson for several years while going to college, and flying RC there as well. All I know is in the olden days we were much less hardy than people are today. We rarely flew past mid-morning in the summer. Just too damn hot!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 PM
superdave01

I emailed Futaba today on the supposed "Heat problem".

Here's what i said:

I hear of heat problems with some Fasst recievers????

and here's there reply:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Futaba Japan is checking it to that. When we hear something back from them it will be posted.

Sincerely,
John G.
Product Support Lead Technician
Futaba Programming Technician
Great Planes Model Distributors
www.realflight.com
NO AUTORESPONDER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.