Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 608FS reciever locout/failure due to heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 608FS reciever locout/failure due to heat

ORIGINAL: DougV

ORIGINAL: Hog78

Friends plane had a 72 mhx RX living in the same spot as his "new one" for around 1 year with no ill effects. I guess trying to get the info out you all let us "vent" at my Bros loss. Didnt find any heat posts for JR or Spectrum. LOL little brand war levity Thanks Hog
Don't think that way, this is new technology, I tried to use the same battery 4.8 that I always use with 72Mhz when I went with Spektrum, real quickly (Lock-out) I learn that the new system needed more power, lots of pilots learn that lesson the hard way.

How much you want for those 608's? I'm ordering four this week.

Doug.
Doug,

don't forget to order additional cooling fan/icepack upgrade option with the 608's.......it's listed under "Summer package special"
Old 06-22-2008, 08:51 AM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DougV

Friends plane had a 72 mhx RX living in the same spot as his "new one" for around 1 year with no ill effects. I guess trying to get the info out you all let us "vent" at my Bros loss. Didnt find any heat posts for JR or Spectrum. LOL little brand war levity Thanks Hog
Don't think that way, this is new technology, I tried to use the same battery 4.8 that I always use with 72Mhz when I went with Spektrum, real quickly (Lock-out) I learn that the new system needed more power, lots of pilots learn that lesson the hard way.

How much you want for those 608's? I'm ordering four this week.

Doug.
I will take 120.00 shipped at my expense. If you are interested PM me and i will email you some pictures
Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 AM
summerwind

Craig, the pictures you are reffering to, are they of the crash, or the Rx's?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:09 AM
victorzamora

Hey guys, I've read through SEVERAL threads in the past couple hours and have been wondering only one thing about this situation. If the way I say this doesn't come off as understanding, then I'd like to say that I really don't mean to sound accusatory. Is it possible that it DID go to failsafe, but his failsafe was set to +100% throttle? I've never used failsafe (too cheap to buy PCM receivers, and too cheap to buy planes nice enough to need them), but I know that I've accidently messed up servo travel in mixes as well as simply for aircraft set-up. In fact, I've started an engine with the throttle reversed, only for it to go full-throttle on me. I left the engine running when I reversed the servo, and it went full-throttle on me again. That happened to me, and I've always considered myself to be a very cautious person. If any of the other servos didn't do anything, couldn't it be that he had the failsafe set at 100% instead of -100% or something like that?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:34 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

Hey guys, I've read through SEVERAL threads in the past couple hours and have been wondering only one thing about this situation. If the way I say this doesn't come off as understanding, then I'd like to say that I really don't mean to sound accusatory. Is it possible that it DID go to failsafe, but his failsafe was set to +100% throttle? I've never used failsafe (too cheap to buy PCM receivers, and too cheap to buy planes nice enough to need them), but I know that I've accidently messed up servo travel in mixes as well as simply for aircraft set-up. In fact, I've started an engine with the throttle reversed, only for it to go full-throttle on me. I left the engine running when I reversed the servo, and it went full-throttle on me again. That happened to me, and I've always considered myself to be a very cautious person. If any of the other servos didn't do anything, couldn't it be that he had the failsafe set at 100% instead of -100% or something like that?
ask Craig.........obviously he ain't talkin to me now[]

but be careful, doubt his words and the door gets slammed.
wish we could see pictures of the mayhem...it does add a lot to enforce the claim.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
victorzamora

....and they're a lot of fun to look at. It sucks that it happened, don't get me wrong!! The pain of crashing sucks, definitely....but there's something about havoc and mayhem that is intriguing!! I know I'm going to be burnt for saying it, but you know that everyone else was thinking it.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 AM
summerwind

myself i would just like to see the evidence.
too many people will post some bogus topics just to stir things up, that you never know what the truth is.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:24 AM
craigteffe

I have asked my friend to post the pictures of of his plane and the layout of the inside of the fuse. he said he would do so as soon as he can, as you can imagine he is very busy trying to get all the parts together and get another plane flying with his old PCM reciever.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 AM
craigteffe

This plane had 1 flight on it with the new reciever earlier in the day when the heat was down flew great. He staarted the plane for the 2nd flight and all was good he started to taxi out to the runway when this happened. When a reciever fails you have no fail safe, In most cases the surfaces will either do what they want or stay locked in that same position.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Hog78
My Feedback: (36)

Craig, I sure am glad we didnt hurt his burgen intrepid helo with that rx' on it must have been the big fan over the top of the rx keeping it cool. That gasser chopper is awsome see you next week when I get home, BTW I wonder do these guys want to see carnage in the pictures ar really want to see Alans electrical lay-out? I still say go JR! LOL later Hog
Old 06-22-2008, 06:54 PM
dilled
My Feedback: (2)

I received my new 10C Friday and after reading all the story about over heating and low voltage I think I'll just send it back and get my money back.

Pat
Old 06-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Hog78

Doug, I use 2 battery's with 6v regulators. if you are using a 4.8v with the spectrum you are flirting with disaster. I really like to hear the "malarky" from the 20 year vets of this insane hobby. Oh ya I guess i need to "find another agenda" LOL Hog
Old 06-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Hog78

ORIGINAL: summerwind

myself i would just like to see the evidence.
too many people will post some bogus topics just to stir things up, that you never know what the truth is.
AAh the conspiracy theroy!!! ya thats the real reason. you funny guy.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 PM
DougV

Doug, I use 2 battery's with 6v regulators. if you are using a 4.8v with the spectrum you are flirting with disaster. I really like to hear the "malarky" from the 20 year vets of this insane hobby. Oh ya I guess i need to "find another agenda" LOL Hog
Yeah... it was my bad!!! for using the battery that came with the DX7 on a little 4 servo Avistar.[]

Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Hog78

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

Why get pis*y, didn't say you were lying. Another fellows post mentioned A&P, confused his malarky with yours, sorry.

Sounds like he had a defective receiver. Either heat sensitive or some other component failure causing the temperature rise (stalled servos, defect in power expander, high current drain somewhere heating up the receiver or just a bad receiver). Doesn't mean the whole series is bad as you want to claim.

By all means, send your stuff back to Tower and move on. There are plenty of guys waiting on backorder status.

And as far as this statement:
ORIGINAL: craigteffe
Futaba has been selling a product that has no place in our hobby. Had I gotten hit by this airplane I would be suing Futaba. They need to recall these recievers and and refund all of us our money or fix the problem.
You're the expert, I'm sure.
DICK, A little "malarky " for you I only mention A&P to you to for a little maintenance background. I like reading your Malarky. Hog
Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

I have a Futaba 12FG and one 6014 and one 608. As yet in 90 degree heat under my huge Sukhoi canopy I have had no heat problem since installing. I did cover my receiver with white vinyl tape knowing it would keep the receiver under the canopy from seeing much heat gain.

Since the actual number of these failures seems to be small (several at best) this could all be attributed to new component failure. When I go buy computers for my company, it is typical if one is to fail, it will be within the first 30 days. There is a certain number that will do this regardless of all the testing that is done before shipping. Its the nature of electronic equipment.

We tend to forget that these incidents are actually few and far between in the grand scheme of things. They tend to get reported and blown out of proportion more today with the availability of these types of forums. Years ago, if you had a receiver, servo, etc., failure, only you and your flying buddies ever heard about them.

I remember back in the late 60's we had nicad battery failures somewhat regularly because it was new technology. When a single cell died, you crashed because the radios of the day weren't tolerant of the low voltage, much like the Spektrum systems when they first arrived.

I have in the recent past had several JR, Hitec and Airtronics servos fail out of box in the first couple of hours. No one reports these kinds of incidents because they aren't new. The only reason we are hearing so much about these radio failures is because it is new technology.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dilled

I received my new 10C Friday and after reading all the story about over heating and low voltage I think I'll just send it back and get my money back.

Pat
Pat, Spektrum is the one with low voltage problems, not Futaba, so be sure not to get one of those either.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

DICK, A little "malarky " for you I only mention A&P to you to for a little maintenance background. I like reading your Malarky. Hog
I happy to have enlightened you!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: nxtdoor

I have a Futaba 12FG and one 6014 and one 608. As yet in 90 degree heat under my huge Sukhoi canopy I have had no heat problem since installing. I did cover my receiver with white vinyl tape knowing it would keep the receiver under the canopy from seeing much heat gain.

Since the actual number of these failures seems to be small (several at best) this could all be attributed to new component failure. When I go buy computers for my company, it is typical if one is to fail, it will be within the first 30 days. There is a certain number that will do this regardless of all the testing that is done before shipping. Its the nature of electronic equipment.

We tend to forget that these incidents are actually few and far between in the grand scheme of things. They tend to get reported and blown out of proportion more today with the availability of these types of forums. Years ago, if you had a receiver, servo, etc., failure, only you and your flying buddies ever heard about them.

I remember back in the late 60's we had nicad battery failures somewhat regularly because it was new technology. When a single cell died, you crashed because the radios of the day weren't tolerant of the low voltage, much like the Spektrum systems when they first arrived.

I have in the recent past had several JR, Hitec and Airtronics servos fail out of box in the first couple of hours. No one reports these kinds of incidents because they aren't new. The only reason we are hearing so much about these radio failures is because it is new technology.

Excellent comments and perspective, thank you.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:10 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: nxtdoor

You are right when say if it wasnt for forums like this we would not here of problems
but im glad we have these forums to help us stay informed. But as for as the issue
with the heat being few and far between I dont think we can really say that because
we just dont know.

Im sure there are some that have had problems that dont come on these forums and
Futaba is sure not going to tell us how many reports of problems they know about or
how many units have been returned.

But I think what ever the problem turns out to be it will get taken care of sooner
because of these forums
Old 06-23-2008, 12:18 AM
DrV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe no one has caught this as of yet!!! I'm pretty excited that I'm the first one to point this out actually!

The receiver was mounted on top of a power expander
Please read hint #3 on this thread, posted by Bax: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7606959/tm.htm]Guidelines[/link]
One more thing, how do I make the quote thingy show who I'm quoting? Either way...the quote is from Craig's post in Post #9 above.

Guys, If the OP is describing the power expander made by Smart-Fly, it is designed for the Rx to be mounted on top. This is commonly used in Jets and large gassers. Take a look at

http://smart-fly.com/Products/Expander/expander.htm

In fact, Power Expander 14MZ (We don't know if this product was used) is specifically designed for The Futaba 12FG, 12MZ and 14MZ for the known low signal voltage output from some of 2.4 GHz Futaba Rxs.

Sounds like an isolated defective Rx.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 AM
victorzamora

I believe that all 3 of the radios mentioned in the Ad (the 12Z, 12FG, and 14MZ) were all available in 72MHz versions before becoming available as FASST Transmitters. Also, notice that the picture of the regulator shows a Futaba R5014 G3 (72MHz) receiver. In fact, all of the Rx's on that page are 72MHz.

All I'm trying to say is that if Futaba says that being near a power regulator will cause my Rx to go psycho, I'm not putting my Rx near a reg regardless of what smartfly says!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:04 AM
DrV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that all 3 of the radios mentioned in the Ad (the 12Z, 12FG, and 14MZ) were all available in 72MHz versions before becoming available as FASST Transmitters. Also, notice that the picture of the regulator shows a Futaba R5014 G3 (72MHz) receiver. In fact, all of the Rx's on that page are 72MHz.

All I'm trying to say is that if Futaba says that being near a power regulator will cause my Rx to go psycho, I'm not putting my Rx near a reg regardless of what smartfly says!

You are right; all have been available 72 MHz before FASST was introduced. The pictures have not been upgraded for the new Rxs. We have about 40 jet guys in our club and most of us use Smart-Fly products (power expanders and regulators next to/on top of Rxs) with 72Mhz, 50MHz, 2.4GHz Futaba, JR, and Spectrum Rx in jets without problems.

My point is Power Expander is designed to work with Rx on top of it and has been tested in the field even for Spectrum and FASST Rxs. It is does not have a regulator for the servos thus does not heat up as other linear regulators. It only regulates input to Rx which does not produce any significant heat.

In any case, each person is responsible for their install and to follow manufacturer recommendations. In this case, one can argue that Futaba does not recommend using the FASST Rx near regulators even though it is not a powerful linear regulator for the servos producing a lot of heat. The power expander does not produce any significant heat to cause the Rx to go to 140 degrees as in the OP case. But, you can have a case in court since manufacturer does not recommend it.

Finally we all are speculating on what the cause of the crash was. No one can prove what exactly happened. Heat may or may not have been the problem.

Be Safe, have fun flying.

Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 AM
summerwind

and then again, we've not seen one shred of evidence telling us what is what............only a guy who is a friend of a guy, who had a malfunction and this guy's airplane went berzerk in which it chewed through another guy's airplane that was on final, and then this guy's airplane demolished itself.
yep, i'm sure Futaba has a lot of explaining to do here by golly.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 AM
dilled

If you think back to the times when computer chip makers (AMD) were having so much trouble with heat when they push the chips harder and harder they were generating a lot of heat. One of cures was to lower the voltage to reduce wattage and the heat output, somewhat like what Futaba is doing with the FS6014. You have to ask yourself how hot the transmitter is getting.
Pat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.