Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Problem with throttle on Spektrum DX6i!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:23 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with throttle on Spektrum DX6i!!!

Hi,

I just noticed something that doesn't seem right with my new Spektrum DX6i radio...When I advancing my throttle, the servo stops moving with about an 1/8" left of throttle stick movement. I checked it out with several receivers, and several servos, just to make sure, and it does the same thing every time. I even switched to a new, never used, model number in the radio to make sure that it wasn't something I inadvertently programmed into the radio. This makes me think the problem is in the radio.

To describe what's happening in better detail...If I'm at idle, and start to advance the throttle upward, the servo arm will start to move the moment I start to move the throttle stick, and continue moving along as I move the stick upward. Now, if I'm at full throttle (throttle stick all the way up), and start to reduce the throttle downward, the servo arm will not start moving until I move the stick almost a full dash downward (the little white calibration marks to the left of the stick). There seems to be a dead band at the top of my throttle sticks movement where the servo doesn't move.

Does anybody else have this problem with their Spektrum DX6i?

I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust this dead band out, either mechanically, a pot, or something else?

Please let me know if others are experiencing this dead band at the top of their throttle stick movement, and if so, what can I do about it?

Thank You,

Mark
Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Problem with throttle on Spektrum DX6i!!!

Hi!
Have you checked " Travel adjustment"! It should be 100% both up and down at factory setting.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:18 AM
3D Romeo

Thanks for the reply Jan.

I checked everything possible...there is no settings in the radio causing it, and it's not a problem with either the servo, or receiver. The problem is definitely in the radio, or just the throttle stick itself.

Besides, 'Travel Adjustment' would only limit the amount the servo travels. It wouldn't cause the servo to stop moving while the throttle stick is still moving upward. On my radio, I can wiggle the throttle stick up and down at the top of it's movement, and the servo won't move until it's been lowered about 1/8" (from the top calibration mark, to the left of the stick, almost to the next mark under it).

I've never seen this before, and was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem, or know of anything I can do to fix it?

Mark
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd contact horizon's customer service people and ask them. The pot in the throttle stick may be a little out of whack, running out of pot before you run out of stick travel.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
3D Romeo

fizzwater2,

I was thinking the same thing...If it's the pot, is this something that you think could be fixed by simply re-adjusting it, or would the pot need to be replaced?

I did email Spektrum (Horizon Hobbies) yesterday about it...I'm still waiting for a reply though (they say it could take a few days).

Mark
Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not that uncommon- seen it in other radios - It harms nothing
it certainly will not affect motor or engine power
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First try a different servo in the throttle channel with the receiver being powered by a seperate 4 or 5 cell battery (no BEC or speed controll connected). If the servo now tracks the throttle stick over the full range, it is NOT the radio. If you have access to a scope, look at the pulse width out of the throttle channel. If it follows (changes continiously as the stick is moved) from 1 to 3 milliseconds, it is not the reciever or transmitter. If it stops changing as you reach the point you now think gives you trouble (something less than 3 milliseconds but greater than 1.5 milliseconds) , it is the pot in the transmitter not working properly.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 PM
3D Romeo

Dick,

I know it wont effect engine power, or performance. I just don't like the fact that jamming the throttle all the way up is no longer full throttle. Full throttle is now achieved at only 7/8 the way up, and the other 1/8 is just wasted stick movement. Now if I jam the throttle all the way up, and need to cut the throttle quickly (like say a baby walks in front of the turning propeller) the engine will not slow down immediately. The stick will have to go down an 1/8 of the way before the engine will start to slow down. So for the sake of my flying, and any baby that should happen to walk in front of my turning propeller, I'd like my engine to start slowing down the moment I start reducing throttle...not whenever it happens to feel like it somewhere between idle, and full throttle.

Rodney,

If you read me first post, I already tried several servos, and several receivers, to make sure that this wasn't the cause of the problem. We're pretty sure that the problem is in the pot right now. So I plan on pulling apart my transmitter soon to have a better look at it. I think I already voided my warranty when I reversed the charging wires, anyway LOL.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
rmh

Well - throttles simply don't work that way -
You will lfind -in time that 99% of throttle response occurs in 70% of throttle stick travel
Old 07-31-2008, 09:02 PM
3D Romeo

That would mean the poor baby doesn't stand a chance!!!

If the top 30% of the throttle curve is doing nothing, as you say, and you add to that the 12% that my transmitter isn't using...that would mean that I'd have to reduce my throttle over 42%...just to START the engine decelerating! Or better put, you're saying that I'd have to go to almost 1/2 throttle before I'd even notice a reduction in power?

I don't know how you are setting up your throttles, but every engine I've ever set up has had a much broader range of throttle response than that.

..Besides, I didn't start this thread to discuss power curves. I started it to find out if others where having similar problems with there DX6i's, and if so, how to FIX it. Because even if YOU wouldn't mind using a transmitter with a throttle stick that doesn't work...I do.

Mark
Old 08-01-2008, 08:44 AM
rmh

Oh well
Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would bet you have some type setup problem. One thing you can do is go to page 31 of your manual. Look at the monitor function. See if your throttle indicator is moving in the area that you think is not working. If it is, as stated above, it is more likely a servo or travel adjust problem.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:37 PM
3D Romeo

airbusdrvr,

I would bet I DON'T have some type of setup problem. As I said a couple times already...I've tried several servos, and every one of them does the same exact thing. The servos are not in an airplane. They are sitting on a table. So there is no setup in the airplane to influence the travel of the servo. I also stated that I switched to a brand new never used model number in my DX6i radio, to make sure that there weren't any settings that I inadvertently changed without realizing it. So every setting is at it's stock setting.

...and I don't "think" it is not working...It isn't working! The problem is definitely in the radio somewhere. Whether it's the pot, something in the programming, or something I'm totally unaware of. The problem is definitely in the radio somewhere.

Thanks for trying to help me out though. You never know, sometimes we overlook the simplest of answers, and immediately start looking for other solutions.

Mark

P.S. - By the way, I did check out the monitor function in the radio, and the little arrow moves happily along...right up to the point where the servo stops moving. Then it just sits there wondering why I'm still moving the stick another 17% LOL! Yep, that's right! The actual percentage of dead stick movement is 17%, not 12%. The 12% was just a guess on my part, but while I was checking out the monitor function I actually counted the number of increment lines to the left of the throttle stick, and there are only 6 from idle to full throttle. I'm not getting movement from the 5th line to the 6th line. So my servo is actually not moving for 1/6 of the travel of the stick (or 17% of the movement).
Old 08-01-2008, 02:16 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Mine in monitor travels the full stick travel. Why not spend a nickel and call Horizon. They will more than liely tell you to send it in.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:03 PM
3D Romeo

I don't have a long distance service provider for my phone...So I can't simply call Horizon up. Unless they have a toll free number?

I did however email them a couple days ago concerning this problem, but I haven't heard back from them yet. []

Mark
Old 08-01-2008, 04:00 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
When you go to "Monitor" on your DX6i radio ...what do see then?? Can you see the arrow moving ? It should be able to move over 4 of those 6 marks on the monitor...from second mark to the 6th ...left to right.
If it does your transmitter is OK!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 PM
3D Romeo

jan,

If you read my post#12, I mention that the arrow in the monitor mode moves along with the throttle stick movement, and stops at the same time the servo stops moving. Both the arrow, and servo, DO NOT move for the last 17% of the stick movement.

So once again...the transmitter is not OK, and needs to be either recalibrated, or serviced.

I finally had a look at the pots for the gimbles, and noticed that they aren't adjustable. []

Mark
Old 08-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Horizon Hobby Service can fix this problem for you.

I suggest you send the system in for service. Obviously the stick calibration was not competed properly at the factory. HH service department has the tools and ability to do this for you.

This can actually be a common problem on older systems as the stick pots wear. The end points will change slight and the stick will need to be re-calibrated and zeroed out.

The monitor screen is the tool to know if the the TX input or if the output is the problem. From the looks of it you have found this out.

The monitor pointer stops at the same point the servo, and this stop is before the end of the stick travel.

They will fix you up in short order.

Contact them at:

1-877-504-0233
Spektrum Service
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822

When sending in your system for this repair just reference the problem and that the system is new. They will fix it for you under warranty.

Also include your Name, address, and a daytime phone number so they can call you.

The folks at Horizon Hobby and Spektrum will fix you up.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 08-01-2008, 06:39 PM
3D Romeo

Thanks Troy...Is that 877 number a toll free number? There are so many different area codes these days it's hard tell anymore.

Mark
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it is toll free.
The area code for Champaign IL, is (217)

This the number I pulled off the Spektrum RC website

If you have trouble PM me back and will get you to the correct place.

Troy Newman
Team JR