Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 ghz Jammers

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 PM
RCGeckoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 ghz Jammers

ORIGINAL: DanMacMurray

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Well, we are talking about possibility/easiness to get a jamming device for a particular band.

Is it the case the ones for 2.4Ghz band are more readily available? I could not find a 72mhz jamming product, unless it is our own 72mhz radio. U have to realize 2.4ghz is not purely a RC band and hence the incentive to make such a jammer oversea. This is not the case with 72 mhz RC band.

is it because of the digital nature of 2.4 that would make it easier to jam then an FM RC transmitter ?

you couldn't easily or cheaply jam the entire FM band we use for RC could you ?

yup...it is just as easy....and just as cheap. Make a 'dirty' tx with aoubt 5W output and goodbye radios.....remember CB and 27Mhxz???

Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The readily available 2.4 jammers is a concern. One may purchase it for a different purpose and turn it on near a flight site.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Dan M
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RCGeckoman

Well, we are talking about possibility/easiness to get a jamming device for a particular band.

Is it the case the ones for 2.4Ghz band are more readily available? I could not find a 72mhz jamming product, unless it is our own 72mhz radio. U have to realize 2.4ghz is not purely a RC band and hence the incentive to make such a jammer oversea. This is not the case with 72 mhz RC band.

is it because of the digital nature of 2.4 that would make it easier to jam then an FM RC transmitter ?

yup...it is just as easy....and just as cheap. Make a 'dirty' tx with aoubt 5W output and goodbye radios.....remember CB and 27Mhxz???

but that would only affect the one channel the radio was on , not all the FM RC channels , right ?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 PM
tadawson

72 would be trivial to jam, but you would step on the commercial users in between our channels, and most likely get a very serious reaming from the FCC if it happened on a regular basis - and considering the nature of the other things in 72, I think they would be a *lot* more upset than interfering with the riff-raff type of stuff that we share 2.4 with . . .

- Tim

Old 09-04-2009, 06:51 AM
pilotpete2

You don't need to "jam" 72Mhz. All you need is a "dial a crash" Tx and a cheap little freq checker to cause havoc at a flying site from a half mile away[:-]
Pete
Old 09-04-2009, 06:55 AM
BobMaine

I would think a jamming signal would be easy to detect. If one had a "detector" with a directional antenna that indicated the azimuth of the jamming signal and if the jammer had to be, say closer than a mile from the flying field it wouldn't by hard to find him/her and take the "appropriate corrective measures". Actually, chances are he/she would want to be close enough to view the carnage they were creating so it might be a short walk.

You might want to add "baseball bat" to your field box equipment...
Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
RCGeckoman

We recently had a problem at our field where a misconfigured radio tx was shooting down planes every now and then...that was an accident...it can easily be done on purpose by purchasing any Tx in the rough area of 72Mhz and detuning it to 72Mhz...just as easy as buying one ready made. I did not find anything for 72 Mhz BUT it is easy enough to do if one is pissed off enough with the RC world...
Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCGeckoman

We recently had a problem at our field where a misconfigured radio tx was shooting down planes every now and then...that was an accident...it can easily be done on purpose by purchasing any Tx in the rough area of 72Mhz and detuning it to 72Mhz...just as easy as buying one ready made. I did not find anything for 72 Mhz BUT it is easy enough to do if one is pissed off enough with the RC world...
Right. Jamming 72mhz can be done via RC radios.

That it is rare to see such incidents on 72mhz does not mean we could pay no attention to potential interference on the 2.4. Those devices are out there and the RC community was not warned about them until very recently. I think this is the point of this discussion thread.

If the current 2.4 radios were on dedicated non-2.4Ghz frequency band and with the same protocol of conflict avoidance, the chance of getting a hit probably will be the same as for 72 MHZ. This is not the case with the current situation.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Dan M

my question still has not been answered .

i don't think that you could jam all of the FM RC frequency's via a single transmitter , it would probably have to be a truck mounted unit to do that .

you could , i suppose , jam one channel at a time and even change the channel via a freq. changing module , but by the time you found the freq. a plane was on by using a tiny screwdriver to change channels over and over on the module , the flight would be done , it does not seem to be a practical way to shoot down RC aircraft .

so can anyone tell me if the difference is this ....... you can jam the ENTIRE 2.4 spectrum with one of these devices and make it impossible to fly ANY 2.4 RC setup (that is in range) with one of these simple and cheap , very small , jammers ?

thanks

Dan

edit :: please do NOT think that i am looking for reasons to badmouth 2.4 or fm , i am not , i own and fly both , and i like them both , this thread has nothing to do with the usual boring arguments about which one is "better" .

my concern is that since the jammers for 2.4 are digital , it would be impossible to know if the signal was being impeded by a jammer or where it was coming from , until it was to late .

unlike the traditional FM problems which could be traced to the source by directional antenna .
Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 PM
conexn

I would have to say if you are in range of the small pocket size jammers you could be effected by it yes (2.4 jammer). To get any range it would have to be setup with a amp like the one I have which extends the range from any where from a mile to maybe 15 depending on the layout (tree's, mountains, other factors, etc...). To jam the 72 mhz you can do it with a single transmitter but you would have to have one you can change the frequency's on, best thing to do would to buy 50 cheap transmitters off Ebay for little to nothing almost. Since 2.4 came out people are selling their old transmitters cheap to get rid of them.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Dan M

ORIGINAL: conexn

I would have to say if you are in range of the small pocket size jammers you could be effected by it yes (2.4 jammer). To get any range it would have to be setup with a amp like the one I have which extends the range from any where from a mile to maybe 15 depending on the layout (tree's, mountains, other factors, etc...). To jam the 72 mhz you can do it with a single transmitter but you would have to have one you can change the frequency's on, best thing to do would to buy 50 cheap transmitters off Ebay for little to nothing almost. Since 2.4 came out people are selling their old transmitters cheap to get rid of them.
thanks ?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:38 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

my question still has not been answered .

i don't think that you could jam all of the FM RC frequency's via a single transmitter , it would probably have to be a truck mounted unit to do that .

you could , i suppose , jam one channel at a time and even change the channel via a freq. changing module , but by the time you found the freq. a plane was on by using a tiny screwdriver to change channels over and over on the module , the flight would be done , it does not seem to be a practical way to shoot down RC aircraft .

so can anyone tell me if the difference is this ....... you can jam the ENTIRE 2.4 spectrum with one of these devices and make it impossible to fly ANY 2.4 RC setup (that is in range) with one of these simple and cheap , very small , jammers ?

thanks

Dan

edit :: please do NOT think that i am looking for reasons to badmouth 2.4 or fm , i am not , i own and fly both , and i like them both , this thread has nothing to do with the usual boring arguments about which one is ''better'' .

my concern is that since the jammers for 2.4 are digital , it would be impossible to know if the signal was being impeded by a jammer or where it was coming from , until it was to late .

unlike the traditional FM problems which could be traced to the source by directional antenna .
All of the 72mhz frequencies are within 1mhz of each other. The 2.4ghz band is 85mhz wide. It would take a far more powerful jammer to cover the 2.4ghz band than it would to cover the 72mhz frequencies.
RF jammers on any frequency may be located with directional antennas. Being digital has nothing to do with it.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:08 PM
tadawson

i don't think that you could jam all of the FM RC frequency's via a single transmitter
Not with an RC transmitter, but to modify something to do so would not be that hard. Considering that from a radios point of view (in the RF sense) there are no such things as channels, simply a center frequency and a bandwidth, it would simply require a TX with a center frequency in the middle of the 72MHz band, and a 5 MHz bandwidth, which would cover all channels. Current technologies can easily handle this kind of bandwidth with no problems at all (heck, even an RC TX module will do the whole band pretty well with no tuning . . . ), so not that hard at all.

Truck mounted? Dude, this isn't 1954 . . . . try the size of a walkie-talkie or smaller . . . I have handheld HAM gear that runs in that frequency range that can do 6+ watts in that area that are no more than 1x2x3 inches or so . . .
- Tim
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
TracyZ

I have heard that the cell phone jammer kit is illegal .But we use it at school and library......It is hard to say!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: TracyZ

I have heard that the cell phone jammer kit is illegal .But we use it at school and library......It is hard to say!

Nothing hard to say about it at all. Jammers of any kind are absolutely illegal in the USA. The FCC regulations are crystal clear.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Public_Notices/DA-05-1776A1.html
Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 AM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: Dirtnaper

Well, my family member who is in corporate security enlightened me to the new art of jamming 2.4 ghz. Its actually becoming popular however I'm not sure how legal. They have installed a new 2.4 ghz and cell phone jammer in thier office. It blocks the entire 2.4 spectrum and all cell phone bands. The range is adjustable but the power seems to be quite a bit more than advertised. I guess they are becoming more popular for corporate security because they had a 3mo wait to get the unit which is about the size of a car stereo amp with a few antennas. It also controls personal cell/txt usage amongst cube rats. Wouldnt mind having one at home....When Dad says your grounded from it he means it! Fore more research just search for 2.4 ghz jammers.

Anyway for those who fly electric in and near industrial parks, look out. (it stomps out a JR pretty easy at low power way across a huge parking lot)

This is very illegal and will subject the jammer to FCC enforcement actions, and some VERY expensive ones at that. It is highly illegal to jam cell phone, land line, wireless communications in the USA. It is not legal to jam someones cell phone under ANY circumstances, although there may be an exception for military / police to do so.

If you don't believe me go to the FCC website and look through some of thier enforcement actions ans see how many thousands of dollars this can cost.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 AM
aydin3

ORIGINAL: HunkaJunk

Well, my family member who is in corporate security enlightened me to the new art of jamming 2.4 ghz. Its actually becoming popular however I'm not sure how legal. They have installed a new 2.4 ghz and cell phone jammer in thier office. It blocks the entire 2.4 spectrum and all cell phone bands. The range is adjustable but the power seems to be quite a bit more than advertised. I guess they are becoming more popular for corporate security because they had a 3mo wait to get the unit which is about the size of a car stereo amp with a few antennas. It also controls personal cell/txt usage amongst cube rats. Wouldnt mind having one at home....When Dad says your grounded from it he means it! Fore more research just search for 2.4 ghz jammers.

Anyway for those who fly electric in and near industrial parks, look out. (it stomps out a JR pretty easy at low power way across a huge parking lot)

This is very illegal and will subject the jammer to FCC enforcement actions, and some VERY expensive ones at that. It is highly illegal to jam cell phone, land line, wireless communications in the USA. It is not legal to jam someones cell phone under ANY circumstances, although there may be an exception for military / police to do so.

If you don't believe me go to the FCC website and look through some of thier enforcement actions ans see how many thousands of dollars this can cost.

yup...but you have to be caught first and th4 looks on the faces of ignorant people when their connnection drops is a joy to behold
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: aydin3

yup...but you have to be caught first and th4 looks on the faces of ignorant people when their connnection drops is a joy to behold
Yup, as someone who reported the user of one of these devices (a local business), it only takes 1 person to get you caught. The funny part was the business was located about 4 blocks away from the Federal Center here, the FCC officer probably checked it out on his way to lunch

Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
tadawson

Legalities aside, I, for one, find it sad that we must tolerate the rude, ignorant, self-serving behaviour of these phone-tards that think that their petty little phone calls/messages are far more important than what everyone else is in the room for. Yeah, it would be an RF free for all to make jamming legal, but I really feel that there should be some way to easily enforce the proper manners that are not already in place in these folks . . .

- Tim
Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 PM
aydin3

ORIGINAL: tadawson

Legalities aside, I, for one, find it sad that we must tolerate the rude, ignorant, self-serving behaviour of these phone-tards that think that their petty little phone calls/messages are far more important than what everyone else is in the room for. Yeah, it would be an RF free for all to make jamming legal, but I really feel that there should be some way to easily enforce the proper manners that are not already in place in these folks . . .

- Tim
I Agree. In UK a lot of the trains are not fitter with a faraday cage...makes for some real sweet looks as the yuppies cannot talk to anyone but themselves for an hour or so

as to legalities...stuff them. I have a jammer and will use it whenever Ifeel it is required. Like I said..youhave to be caught to get fined and in most cases that is harder than is being made out.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Silent-AV8R

as to legalities...stuff them. I have a jammer and will use it whenever I feel it is required. Like I said..youhave to be caught to get fined and in most cases that is harder than is being made out.
I am curious what other laws you apply the "screw them they need to catch me first" logic to.

Speed laws?

Stop signs?

Assault?

Murder?

Where's the line?

Silly? Perhaps, but it fascinates me how willing people are to not only ignore the law but flaunt it openly on an internet forum.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
aydin3

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

as to legalities...stuff them. I have a jammer and will use it whenever Ifeel it is required. Like I said..youhave to be caught to get fined and in most cases that is harder than is being made out.
I am curious what other laws you apply the "screw them they need to catch me first" logic to.

Speed laws?

Stop signs?

Assault?

Murder?

Where's the line?

Silly? Perhaps, but it fascinates me how willing people are to not only ignore the law but flaunt it openly on an internet forum.
yes to all of them if the needs dictate it.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM
HunkaJunk

Speed laws?

Stop signs?

Assault?

Murder?

Where's the line?

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, for example, murder is a legally defined term, different from any other form of killing someone. There is no scenario in which murder would be justified.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
aydin3

Speed laws?

Stop signs?

Assault?

Murder?

Where's the line?

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, for example, murder is a legally defined term, different from any other form of killing someone. There is no scenario in which murder would be justified.
of course there is!!it all depends on WHO is doing the justification. If you REALLYthought it though you would see that,but as with most pepole, you only see what is legal and illegal.

case #1. someone is coming to kill you. No reason foir it other than they want to. You fnd out and decide that attack is the best method of defense so kill hi,/her before they get to do it to you BUT without them actually attacking you first. Is that murder? Of course it is. Is it justified? Of COURSEit is..or it would be lying in the pool of blood.

justification is in the eyes of the beholder. Laws are made by man for the protection of those who cannot protect themselves. Laws are generally flawed due to having to take into account of all things and being unable to do so.

and of courrse one would also have to be caught before anything would actually be done, so we are back to my first statement...have fun untangling the knots
Old 09-03-2010, 05:35 PM
tadawson

without them actually attacking you first
That's a trip to death row . . . you CANNOT know for certain what is going to happen, until it begins to happen!

A lot of folks are blowhards, and never do 1% of the spew that comes out of their mouths.

This is undoubtedly NOT an example of justification!

or it would be lying in the pool of blood.
Or use a wee bit more brain, and just make a point of being elsewhere, or getting the appropriate law enforcement person(s)
involved . . .

- Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.