Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 10C???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Karate2Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 10C???

Hi, I am in the market for a new radio, and so far I like the Futaba 10c, is this a good choice or is there something better, and I am not so sure that I want to go 2.4GHz quite yet, but then again I have heard that allot of the big airplane competitions are making it so if you don't have a 2.4GHz radio, you can't fly there, is this true?

Thanks to all!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE: Futaba 10C???

The 10C is a good radio. If this is your first radio it will last you for a long time. Once you get use to the programing, its a sinch toset up any plane from a small electric to a giant scale with a gas engine.
NEDYOB
Old 12-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Karate2Kid

Thank you! It is not my first radio, I am 17 and have been flying for about 4 or 5 years, and now am getting into giant scale aerobatics, and my current radio all of the sudden stopped working, luckily it stopped working before I even tried to fly my new 30% Katana! And I also fly a WWI S.E.5, and just about anything I can get my hands on, other than helis. But would I want the heli vertion of the radio anyway, because I do have an electric variable pitch prop system for one of my foamies. Also, please keep commenting on this thread as I would like allot of opinions, with all of the +'s and -'s. Thank you all again!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
diviatix

The 10c is roughly equivalent to the JR X9303...

They are both solid as platforms.

They both do have they're own idiosyncrasies though.
-JR/Spektrum is known for having a low-voltage cuttoff that causes the receiver to reboot in flight causing loss of control.
-Futaba FASST is known for having their 14ch reciever shut down in flight due to excessive heat causing loss of control.

That said, they are both great radios. I have posted this before, a few times actually. But it is does have valid info for those making the same decision I made. So here it is again...
- - - - -
Both great radios. Used them both. Like them both. However, I prefer the 10c...for these reasons.

1>Modular.
a> I run the Futaba 14ch 2.4 rec on giantscale gasser with power exapander. awesome speed never a twitch.
b> My hitec spectra module plugs right in for using PPM/PCM receivers with DLGs. Very handy.
(**** It is not officially supported obviously, but ppl have been using spectras in the 9 series for years without mishap. I own a 10c and use it regularly for FM with spectra. - PPM or PCM both work btw... but its Futaba PCM you will need not Hitec's QPCM.)
c> The Futaba SPEKTRUM module plugs in for the little foamy and parkfliers. (very inexpensive right now for Futaba version at Horizon, $109 with an AR7000) - so you get all worlds!

2> The switch assignability on the 10c is VERY flexible, and logic switches are ultra useful.

3> The timer activating on throttle stick means no more forgetting to start your timer at the flightline. (important for idiots like me)

With the fact that the 10c is modular it covers everything IMO. It's my first Futaba, owned JR and Hitec previously. My closest flying buddy got the x9303, we have done extensive comparisons....

Even he agrees, the 10 wins. (presuming you are good with hitec digital servos for matched surfaces - which is better than any channel slaving anyways)

Good luck on your choice, you cant lose between those two radios.

For me the nod goes to the 10c.

Cheers,

Andrew.

PS: The Futaba 10c has the lowest latency numbers of any radio on the market. If you need fast, get FASST. This following link shows the real number graphs.
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t172571p1/
Old 12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Karate2Kid

Thank you very much Andrew!!! Also I have started looking at the Futaba 12FGA and the 12Z anyone know anything about those 2 radios, and why is the Z twice as much as the FGA? And would anyone recommend either of those 2 over the 10C???
Old 12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
diviatix

Absolutely!!!! The Futaba 12Z does everything the 14z does. Both have better gimbals than the 10c. Both do more than the 10c. If you can justify the $ go for the most you can... For a fella like me I that does some park flyers and a few giant scale gassers and one DLG the 10c is more than enough, but I know people that feel the price jump is worth it for the expanded programming and better stick gimbals. The only feature I personally would use in the 12 series over the 10c is servo grouping - but then again I use the hitec programmer to match my servos, so I don't need that.

Others will tell you that "software upgrades" and all that are groovy - maybe it is - maybe it isn't. But the 12 series give you that if you feel it's important to you.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Karate2Kid

Thank you again! Also, if you don't mind, what is the difference between the 12FGA and the 12Z, because the 12Z is way more $$$ than the 12FGA, why is that?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 AM
diviatix

Truly, I'm not the guy to ask. There are fellas with way more experience than me that can give you specific strengths and weaknesses. Try hopping over to the Futaba Manufacturers Support forum. Bax and Krysta are very helpful.

As I understand it, the 12z has quad-bearing gimbals, a higher resolution screen, much more robust processors, SD card expandability, software updates, expanded programming etc. I suggest you check out the link below to compare feature by feature, as I'm not sure which features the 12z & 12fg share.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html

Cheers,

Andrew.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Karate2Kid

I went to the hobby shop yesterday and ended up getting the Futaba 12FGH FASST mode 2 (as I don't like the racheted effect on the throttle on a normal airplane radio, even though I fly airplanes not helis), and thank you for your help!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 PM
My Feedback: (30)

That seem like a good choice. I am 16 and I just ordered the 12 fg and am waiting for it to arrive. It seems that the only differences between the two radios, (12fg, 12z), is that the 12z comes with a carrying case, has a more attractive casing, and has a lithium ion battery. I just couldn't believe the difference between prices. I bought mine from tower and I got mine for $570.00 due to the fact that my dad has been a tower member for years. I cant see why anyone would spend $1500.00 for the 12z. Both perform exactly the same. I to was thinking about purchasing the 10c but recently came across some extra funds so I decided to acquire the 12fg.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Karate2Kid

The real reason I went with the 12FGH as apposed to the 10C was....well....partly because it had more channels/features, but also it was sort of a status thing, because everyone out at the field where I fly (all except for about 3 people) are older people and allways have bigger planes than me, and sort of shunt me off to the side because I am "just a kid," so now I have a 30% 3D Hobby Shop Katana with a DL 50cc engine in it (which is as big as anything out there, except one person's WWI planes, but he is nice to me), so I went with the 12 channel radio rather than a 10 channel radio so that way I would have a better radio than anyone out there . And also, I need the 2.4GHz for competition now, as I guess the big competitions are all going 2.4GHz only. And also the people out at the field swear by the Spectrum DX-7 and/or JR, and no offence to anyone who has one or likes that radio, so this way I have a heck of allot more radio than anyone out there [>:]. And by the way 334755, do you by any chance have Realflight G3.5? And just out of curiosity, what do you fly?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 AM
seatec
My Feedback: (1)

Not taking away that the FG is a great radio for the price but you should do a little bit more research before you state that the only thing different between the radios is cosmetic. Now i could go ahead and tell you what the major differences are but i believe in teaching a person how to fish. (not trying to start a fght). As for showing up the "old" folx at the field shunning you to the side. ont pay attention to the grumpy old coots. they are jus jealous that you can afford and fly airplanes while you are so young. lol
Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 AM

Hey karate2kid, I have realflight g4.5 and I fly the extreme flight extra 330,(88.5 in. wingspan).

The realflight simulators have assisted me in my flying ever since i started the sport when i was about 12. They really are great learning tools and because of it I can do almost every move that i can think of, Including rolling harriers.

And as for your plane, that sounds like a great choice. I've heard good things about 3d hobby shop. I've seen their smaller planes fly at my field and all i can say is that they are amazing. I'm not quite finished with my plane yet but i'm getting there. Just waiting on the motor and radio.

BTW, the engine I'm using in my plane is called the area 51 from extreme power. Don't know if you've ever heard of it but from what i hear on the forums on rcuniverse and elsewhere, it's a great motor and has more power than a da 50 and dl 50. Not trying to start a war between engines but just trying to get the name out there so more people can experience this engine.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:54 AM

BTW seatec, I have done extensive research between the two 12 channel radios from Futaba. From what i have read in the magazines, websites, and forums, there is no signifigant differences between the two.
The only difference i can see is that the screen is not as big or back lit, no carrying case, different battery, no charger, no wrenches, and no switch harness. I also see no difference in performance between the two. I have read that many people that have used or owned both radios can see no difference in performance.

If I am missing something due to the fact I have not researched enough, then please, tell me what I am leaving out.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Karate2Kid

Lol, well, me I asked around and did research or the radios, and as for the old folks, it really is fun to mess with them, lol (but they started it, so THEN I chose to just have some fun with it lol)
Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Karate2Kid

ORIGINAL: 334755

BTW seatec, I have done extensive research between the two 12 channel radios from Futaba. From what i have read in the magazines, websites, and forums, there is no signifigant differences between the two.
The only difference i can see is that the screen is not as big or back lit, no carrying case, different battery, no charger, no wrenches, and no switch harness. I also see no difference in performance between the two. I have read that many people that have used or owned both radios can see no difference in performance.

If I am missing something due to the fact I have not researched enough, then please, tell me what I am leaving out.

Well, actually 334755, the 12FG DOES have a charger, and DOES have a switch harness, and it DOES have wrenches that go with it, so I don't know exactly what you were talking about. (I'm not trying to argue with you, 334755, but only pointing some things out.) And I have also heard (I don't know from experience) that the some other differences between the 12Z and 12FG are that they have different programing, and the 12Z has better gimbles.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 PM

As I have said before, I have not received mine yet. Still waiting for it to ship due to the holidays. I am just going by what I have read. I have heard there were differences in the gimbals, but i just don't see how that justifies about $800.00. And as for programing, the only thing that I have heard that's different between the two is the ability to adjust the mixes in flight with the Z. BTW, Karate2Kid, thanks for pointing out the switch harness. Guess I missed it, but it does say on tower it does come with one. My bad.

I also enjoy the older folks that come and fly. I first learned how to fly from my grandpa and have been attached the the hobby ever since. When I visit Ohio, where my grandparents live, I enjoy flying at my grandpa's club more than my own just because there are more older guys there. It's kind of funny when they watch you and don't understand how a young kid can do it. I guess I like showing off in front of them. They are some of the coolest guys on the field and when they share their knowledge with me I enjoy listening.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Karate2Kid

I totally agree with you! And hey, btw, where do you fly, and how far are you willing to go for a fly-in? I mean it's not too small, but not huge, last spring we had about 100-some-odd flyers. A great chance to show up lod folks lol!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 AM
ah64

What is it with you guys and calling people old? You better be careful because those "old" folks can make you feel silly when they show you up at the air field. Have you ever heard wisdom comes with age ignorance comes from youth?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Karate2Kid

Look, with all due respect ah64, first of all, I wasn't saying that about all old people, some are cool, and some like the ones that I know out at the field (except for a couple), just don't like a kid (like myself) showing them all up by doing 3D with an Ultra Stick 120 when they can't even fly their WWI planes nor their highwing planes (and don't say WWI planes are harder to fly than anything else, because I myself have a WWI S.E.5, and have flown it, so I know what they fly like, and they aren't that hard at all), and if you read more carefully, you might notice that we weren't really saying that old people are stupid, only that the older people out at the field that don't like me are fun to show up, and no, I didn't start trying to show them up first, they started not liking me first, and treating me like I am just a "kid," and not a real person, and treating me like I don't know anything, but I was not talking bad about old people in general, nor the older people that like me out there. Just something to think about before you go accusing us yonger people of calling "old folks" "old farts who don't know a thing," as that is not what we said at all, but then again I am not saying that all kids don't go around saying things like that, because some do. And like I said, with all due respect Mr. ah64, no offence ment.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:34 PM

well said.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is it with you guys and calling people old?
Everyone gets their turn .. that is if they are lucky enough to make it that far!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Karate2Kid

Well said your self! And HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!! EVEN YOU OLD FOLKS!!! LOL
!!!