Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba s9202 vs digitals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Futaba s9202 vs digitals?

the 9202 is without a doubt a very fine servo with excellent centering.
the 9202 is smooth and does not buzz or hum while sitting idle.
at this point it is the choice for my Proctor Nieuport N28 1/4 scale,
http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...nieuport28.htm

i am however not opposed to becoming more modernized and going with digitals as i have experienced some of Futabas micro digitals and was blown away by their accuracy, but i did experince quite a bit of buzzing and humming and probablt due to their size, some flapping when the servo (3154) could not rest at center.

my choice for digitals for this plane would be in the price range of the S3152 or S3050, but i'm all ears and hope you all can point me in the right direction with your advice....i also like Hitec servos but not sure which ones are comparable.

thx
-mike
Old 02-02-2009, 10:23 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba s9202 vs digitals?

For the Nieuport digitals are not needed; cant hurt but not needed. It is not a high load plane or precise. 9202s are fine servos. You could probably fly the plane with standard servos but I would not take that chance. I think anything in the 70-100 torque range would be great for this plane.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:29 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason digtals hum is because to get the high holding torque they rerun the last command like 20 times a second so the servo is always lurching. The highest torque is when the motor runs not sitting so they program it to find the last command. That is why they run down the batterys faster they move 20 times as much as normal servos in one flight.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Mike,

IIRC you're running Futaba FASST radios?

If so, there have been some issues with both the Futaba and the Spektrum/JR radios using analog servos on start up. That is you may get some undesired servo deflections when the rx is first turned on and before it links to the tx.

I know there are some folks reporting issues with the JR 9 channel tx's running 9 channel and above rx's since those use 2048 resolution where the lower channel rx's which run in 1024 don't seem to have any issues. But I thought I saw a reference to start up servo deflections over on the Futaba support forum the other day, you may want to take a look and see if you can find it or I'm just imagining that I saw it....

If it is, or can be an issue then you may want to consider going to digital servos.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:48 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I have both used 33 year old Futaba S6 servos (remember them?) And many many other other Futaba, Hitec, JR, Sanwa , Becker,and Multiplex analog servos and never experienced any problems using my DX-7 or DX6i radios.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
I have both used 33 year old Futaba S6 servos (remember them?) And many many other other Futaba, Hitec, JR, Sanwa , Becker,and Multiplex analog servos and never experienced any problems using my DX-7 or DX6i radios.
As I mentioned in my post, the 7 channel and below rx's excluding the new AR-7100, run in 1024 resolution and do not experience the issue. It does not matter which tx you use as that's all the rx's will handle. Now if you use a JR 9 channel or above tx and one of the rx's capable of 2048 resolution, then there have been some reports of servo deflections on rx start up.

I have one model with the 9 channel rx and all digital servos except the choke, that servo moves to it's neutral position when the rx is turned on and before it links. And yes I've re-bound it to try and eliminate the movement, but others I've seen have reported full travel deflections sometimes exceeding the travel limits on surface servos. This evidently is caused by the 2048 capable rx's sending out a 700 pulse when first turned on which is outside the normal low servo limit of 900. Sorry but I don't remember the exact terminology for the servo sweep numbers or I'd have listed them....

Now this is ALL regarding the Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz radio equipment and I'd not heard or seen anything of an issue with the Futaba FASST radios until the other day. I didn't really read it as I don't fly Futaba, but thought Summerwind may want to take a look and see if there is an issue with analog servos and the FASST system since I think he runs Futaba FASST.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:46 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thx everyone for the input.
i have a Super Skybolt with 9001's and 9202 (Elev) and R608FS Rx which does the deflection bit at startup............hasn't caused any issues yet although it is annoying.
still thinking this thru.

yes i do remember the old Futaba servos, but not sure i ever used an S6

i think i'll PM Bill again and see if he thinks the deflection bit will hurt the servos.