Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

R/C Report 2.4 GHz Radio Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:16 PM
GRW3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C Report 2.4 GHz Radio Test

Anybody else read Cal Orr's extreme testing on the 2.4 GHz systems in the Last issue of R/C Report? I thought it was well done, the kind of thing for which I specifically liked R/C Report as a magazine. There are differences but not much in the typical application. It mage me glad I bought what I did but if I had gone to a long time preference it would not have been a disaster.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 PM
MaineBear

Default RE: R/C Report 2.4 GHz Radio Test

Have the magazine but haven't read the article yet (but will in the next few days). Looks like it will be a great read. Yes, RC Report will be missed! Sad...
Old 02-07-2009, 04:04 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

so can you post the results?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:36 AM
pilotpete2

Very hard to summarize, the article did not have a summary if conclusions at the end.
One thing I took from the article was that somewhere down the road at very large events, impounding of SS radios may be necessary, this was not stated, but just my take.
When close to 40 Spektrums were turned on, a plane flying with Spektum seemed to take hits every time another Spektrum was turned on and off, also when 35 Spektrums were running, Futaba fasst was degraded to the point it was considered dangerous to continue the flight.
Of course in the real world this is not an issue, but as more switch over to 2.4 there could be the day when the number of 2.4 transmitters allowed in the pits may have to be limited.
I don't fly at large events, so, "What, Me worry"
We have a couple of Spektrums and one fasst at our field, we also have had on and off field shootdowns, so I'm very pleased with 2.4.
One other thing, not surprisingly the 360 buck Spektrum 9 channel with all the remotes, was the most robust RF link he had tested. At that price it should be good[X(]
I have been a subscriber to R/C Report for twenty years, I feel like I've lost part of my extended family[]

Pete
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Very hard to summarize, the article did not have a summary if conclusions at the end.
Exactly. I never did figure out what the point was of all that testing.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:41 PM
vasek

Thanks for the info Pete
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read the article twice and consider it one of the most interesting narratives I have read anywhere concerning how our new 2.4 ghz systems interact and cooperate with each other. Additionally, I did not see any bias or attempts to prove pre-conceived conclusions. This has to be one of the best articles of this type to ever be printed in an RC magazine. The level of detail will allow for future challenges or corroboration and just maybe the development of some sort of standard to measure new or re-engineered existing systems. An answer to does it play well at the field. No one ever gets a process with this much detail 100% correct the first time but, the groundwork is there.

Darn nice job Mr Orr and a huge thank you to Gordon Banks for creating the RC platform where an article of this magnitude and honesty could ever get published.

Howard
Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically, the outcome is you get what you pay for. The test to me validated my choice of a JR 9303 with a variety of Rxs depending on the type of model flown.

John C
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Ed

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Pete
Sorry, but I did read some very welcome " Conclusions ". One read. >

" The two 9-ch JR/Spektrum systems we tested here are truly the most robust RF link I have ever seen under such harsh testing. "

And then at the end. >

" In our flight range tests, we used two different JR AR 9000 receivers ( each with four remotes ), one with a DX-7 transmitter, and one with a JR 10X transmitter equipped with a JR 2.4 GHz module. In both cases, the maximum range was nearly twice that of the other systems. "

Very significant statements me thinks.

Ed
Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
pilotpete2

Nice catch
These were very specific comments referring to one very expensive model of receiver, not a general summary as to how all the systems stacked up. If there had been a substantial difference between an AR7000 and an R617 for example that would be significant, as you would be comparing "apples to apples", it seems the AR9000 with four receivers is an expensive "orange".
Cheers,
Pete
Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM
vasek

I have to agree with Pete, the four satellite Rx's is a bit overkill to say the least.

I believe most Spektrum users will have mostly 1 or 2 remotes in various setups (as I do)
Old 02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Ed

" it seems the AR9000 with four receivers is an expensive "orange". "

Reliability has it's price.

Reliability is keynote in order to be successful in the hobby.

" I believe most Spektrum users will have mostly 1 or 2 remotes in various setups (as I do) "

And Vasek, you are absolutely right, my 5 Spektrum AR-7000's have been performing flawlessly for the last 3 years, with only one satellite Rx. Cal Orr's range testing by full size aircraft was extreme, but it's good to know that the capability is there if we ever need it. And I know Jet flyers, and Top Gun pilots who are using it to the fullest. I also beleive that there is more to Spektrum/JR success then just numbers of Rx's. Their DSM 2 technology is different from the others.

Ed