Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

trans battery question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:10 PM
mesaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans battery question

This is just a curiosity question.
Does a transmitter use any more juice from the battery if it is in use (flying a plane) as opposed to turned on and just sitting there on the bench? Another way of asking, does moving the sticks cause the battery to use more of it's voltage quicker than not moving the sticks? Hope I'm asking correctly.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: trans battery question

No, its transmitting the same power output whether the signal is neutral or otherwise.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that the Tx draws 200ma when Transmitting, but only 50ma if the Trainer Cord is plugged in and the switch is Off. I use a 1/8" mono jack in the back of my JR radio when I am spending considerable time playing with the programming.

Is this true in general?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Each brand of transmitter is different. I think you are correct in saying the buddy box on either a JR or Spectrum draws less current than when it is also transmitting as only the audio (pulse generating portion) is powered up when being used as a buddy box. On Hitec or Futaba, the draw on the primary box is higher with a buddy box installed than when only transmitting as it is also powering the audio section of the buddy box (no battery required in the buddy box).
Old 02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you!! That makes sense!!

Any idea why Futaba/Hitec chose to power the buddy box from the Master rather than require the buddy box to have it's own battery?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Arceenut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Thank you!! That makes sense!!

Any idea why Futaba/Hitec chose to power the buddy box from the Master rather than require the buddy box to have it's own battery?
I think it was a convenient way to power JUST the controller portion of the transmitter rather than the whole system including the RF deck. JR uses a contact activates by the plug to disable the RF deck. Frankly I prefer the Futaba/Hitec system rather than depend on another mechanical contact to power the RF deck.