Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 AM
winghead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

I am very close to canceling my order from Tower. I have been patient and have waited 2 months. I am half tempted to use my JR FM radio. I have found brand new recievers for $10-$15. I know 2.4 is the way to go, but I could use the money right now.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 AM
firehopper

lipos have to be charged outside the radio, the internal charge circutry is not made for lipos. so if you try, you could fry the lipo and your radio. its in the manual.

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

Bob,

Are you charging the lipo battery in the transmitter or taking it out and using the balance wires too.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

Mike, is Hitec still online for a late January delivery of the A9's, especially to Tower...???
Auroras are due mid month here so should be in the shops a week or so after that.

ORIGINAL: wshall

Disregard. I think I have found the issue...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1229

I'm disappointed though. Simply deleting the feature from the menu without mention of how to get a free upgrade is disappointing. I read the FlyRC article and that sold me on the radio. It mentioned both telemetry features.

Scott
Unfortunately that feature would have delayed the release of the product and we were already late to the game; it's possible that it will be added in the future but I have no info on this. However, the range of the system appears to be very far as power down range checks are producing results of up to 1/4 mile which is almost 10 times that of competing brands.

Posted here is a range check of 450' with the single BODA antenna completly inside a full carbon fiber fuse; that is basically unheard of as all other systems have serious range issues inside carbon fiber. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=45

ORIGINAL: winghead

I am very close to canceling my order from Tower. I have been patient and have waited 2 months. I am half tempted to use my JR FM radio. I have found brand new recievers for $10-$15. I know 2.4 is the way to go, but I could use the money right now.
There is one shown left in stock here: http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?keywo...l&cart=3426554

Mike.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
wshall

Thanks for the update Mike.

By the way, I love the radio and the buzz it has created in the industry and around the flying fields. I'm still finding functionality that i never dreamed possible back when I began with my father back in the late 70's.

Great product.

Scott
Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
czaiss

Unfortunately that feature would have delayed the release of the product and we were already late to the game; it's possible that it will be added in the future but I have no info on this. However, the range of the system appears to be very far as power down range checks are producing results of up to 1/4 mile which is almost 10 times that of competing brands.

Posted here is a range check of 450' with the single BODA antenna completly inside a full carbon fiber fuse; that is basically unheard of as all other systems have serious range issues inside carbon fiber. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=45

Thats a nice number but, its was not specified whether the aurora 9 is using the same power output or low to high power ratio as the competitors, what we really need is a full range test against a competitor, or to know the actual power outputs

As it is, it could just be pure specmanship, giving it a super long range test makes people think its that much better,
Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Meyer1811

In reference to the range check that was done (posted at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=45 ), if you look at the pictures posted and read the test description you will find that the emitter portion of the antenna was external to the fuse while the booster was inside.

I have been having trouble getting my A9 into range check mode because my hearing is such and the volume of the beeps so low that I can hardly hear them so I end up holding the button down too long. Fortunately I haven't had any problems with range as far out as I can see my 2M glider.

As far as competitor range checks go, my Spektrum AR6100 looses contact at about 95ft and AR6200 looses contact at about 125ft with both tests being done with no obstructions between transmitter and receiver.

As was pointed out these comparisons are only valid if the transmitters being tested are using the same output power for the range check. While the FCC sets the maximum output for the transmitters, range check power is totally at the discretion of the vendor.

I haven't experienced any glitches or loss of contact from my A9, the same can't be said for my Spektrum gear.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:39 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the A9 is looking to be a very nice product. One question. How do you know that the Output power is the same for both the A9 and the DX7 when testing the range. Without knowing that the distance you are from the Tx to the model, when Range Testing, is not a conclusive test.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:43 PM
BuschBarber

I mean not conclusive as a comparison between Tx's.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
caltrop

ORIGINAL: gsc1161

Mike

I am the Plant Manager of a Circuit Board company. If we are a week late, somebody get's yelled at. A month late, somebody is offered the opportunity to seek alternate employement. 4 months late?

Like others, I ordered my new transmitter after the April Toledo show, and have aircraft waiting receivers since July (coming any day, right?). Now October? I have software to convert almost any language to English. Manuals the hold up? Come on.

Hitec needs to come clean, tell us when working, stable product will be delivered, and what the real delay has been.
The place where I used to work at yelled too if things were late but alas I don't work there anymore or for that matter no one is working there now.

Horizon is just as bad if not worse than all these companies at promising something and not delivering. Horizon missed Christmas BIG this year! All that advertising getting us all worked up and everything is backordered... POOH!

Since my DX7 debacle I have been looking at other 2.4 systems and Hitec is at the top of the list. I want to actually see one first and I'll have to wait until they show up in stores. Hopefully there will be an Aurora at E-Fest this year but... I've been getting really peeved lately at RC especially Horizon's equipment and attitude.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
MikeMayberry

Power down mode output is 1mw! [X(]

Note, the CF fuse range check timed out prior to reaching the point at where it lost connection. Sorry, I thought he told me his test was with the tag end of the antenna inside the fuse.

Mike.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
wshall

ORIGINAL: winghead

I had ordered mine from Tower at the end of October and finally got it just before Christmas. It is a great performer. I'm a little concerned about the antenna and the 1" of exposed coax lead and its durability, but so-far so-good.

2.4 IS the way to go and it appears that Futaba is beginning to take notice of Hitec's increased stature in the RC community with this offering.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Murdoc

Gonna order one now!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
czaiss

so it is about the same power

It did a range test earlier, I ran out of time too, so I started it again, I walked 1200 ft before I got a range out tone, whichwasonly onwhen I blocked the signal with by body. However the aircraft was still responding normally.

if low power mode gets 1200ft at 1mw and high power mode is 100mw, which is the standard. Then the full range should be about 3 miles.

Curtis
Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: czaiss

so it is about the same power

It did a range test earlier, I ran out of time too, so I started it again, I walked 1200 ft before I got a range out tone, which was only on when I blocked the signal with by body. However the aircraft was still responding normally.

if low power mode gets 1200ft at 1mw and high power mode is 100mw, which is the standard. Then the full range should be about 3 miles.

Curtis
There is no range out tone.

I'm a little concerned about the antenna and the 1'' of exposed coax lead and its durability, but so-far so-good.
There was a big discussion about this on RC Groups, here's the fix I came up with using a little dab of Shoe Goo (or similar.)

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39575.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1350772  
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 PM
czaiss

well, when I was in test mode and turned away at that distance I got a solid audiotone, its not in the manual but it happened and was clearly related to me blocking the signal
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 PM
g_mkoch

I had the same experience when testing the range, when it got out of range with reduced power it gave me a solid tone (I know I lost signal because the sufaces would not move), when I regained signal and control the radio started again to beep at a high rate
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 AM
czaiss

good to know that I'm not the only one with a radio that does this,

It would be nice to know the significance of this tone though, It seems to be a telemtry based tone but I'm not sure whether the telemtry is fine and telling the radio that the transmission is lost, or if the module is indicating that the telemetry is lost.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM
wshall

I'm a little concerned about the antenna and the 1'' of exposed coax lead and its durability, but so-far so-good.
There was a big discussion about this on RC Groups, here's the fix I came up with using a little dab of Shoe Goo (or similar.)

Mike.
[/quote]

I like that. Thanks for the simple solution!

Scott
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 AM
avronaut

ORIGINAL: czaiss

good to know that I'm not the only one with a radio that does this,

It would be nice to know the significance of this tone though, It seems to be a telemtry based tone but I'm not sure whether the telemtry is fine and telling the radio that the transmission is lost, or if the module is indicating that the telemetry is lost.
Hi,

what is your firmware? 1.05 or 1.06?

Regards Uli
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

I am wondering if there is a way to assign 2 switches to one channel - one to activate and one to lock. I wish there is a way I can lock my landing gear switch so I don't flip it accidentally. I hope Aurora9 programming is flexible enough to do this. I have some high-detail scale planes that the thought of hitting the landing switch accidentally scare me enough to put my plane on its craddle everytime I am not flying. The darn things are so heavy that I always have to ask for help to lift them onto craddle.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
BuschBarber

I would think you could do this with multiple Programmable Mixers. Each one set for a different Switch Position.

Not everything you want to do is available in Canned Programs that come with any Computer radio, so Programmable Mixers take up the slack. Sometimes I have to just sit down and play with them until I get the desired result unless someone has done it before and shares the info.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Striker

I have not been flying for the last 6 to 7 years after my hobby time was cut selling one house and buying and moving into a new house, two kids and business.
I sold my giant scale airplanes to friends and my 9C transmitter last year meaning to buy the 10C and build my 27% Edge 540T but got too busy again.

A few days ago I got crazy and said screw this crap, I have to start flying again. Went to one of the hobby shops, picked up Model Airplane News and saw the A9 featured. Came home, downloaded the manual, read some threads and ordered it this morning. It took me less than 12 hrs to make my decision to get it, I am totally impressed with this new transmitter.

Everyone here said it was backordered and every website had out of stock plastered on the ads for them. So I decided to call a big distributor here in Canada to order one and the girl who answered the phone said, strange, our computer shows one in our system so we should have one last one in stock. I said are you sure its an A9 with a 9 channel RX and its new and not a returned or damaged item, she checked and it was a an A9 with a 9ch RX NIB. In a fraction of a second I said I want it and paid to have it shipped to my city priority mail

This radio is unbelievable and for the price, I though I was seeing doubles, I gave my head a shake, wiped my eyes and looked again, CDN $ 500.00 with a 9ch RX, free 7ch and another 7ch for $40 at my door, shipping and taxes in, holy cripes.

I will have this thing in my bed with me for a while........................ programming it you freaks

ORIGINAL: avronaut

It is cold winter in Germany. I don't use gloves and I think it's better to protect hands AND transmitter. Take a look at this video, you will see how I cope with snowfall

http://vimeo.com/8292639

By the way I do not sell this widget. I only want to give you an idea that you can choose out of a wide range of balancers already.

Uli
How the hell do you guys get to that level of flying helis???? WOW, I am an airplane guy and fly fairly OK but holy cow, you were impressive from start to finish, man I am amazed at you guys.
We know the Germans are great but you don't have to rub it in our faces like that Unreal that you were flying while the snow was falling, that's really kewl, we have very long cold winters here so can appreciate what you did.
Great flying Bud, keep it up.
I have to like that vid to my website, I totally loved that. I am into BMW's by the way and was in your City in 2000.

THANKS TO MIKE FROM HITEC FOR ALL THE TIME HE TOOK TO REPLY TO ALL THE QUESTIONS ASKED ABOUT THE A9 AND ALL THE OTHER GUYS WHO SHARED THEIR EXPERIENCE AND TIPS ON PROGRAMMING THE A9.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Programming Puzzle:

I have been working on this issue for quite awhile and I am still struggling to find an answer. What I want to do is to have the elevator deflect slightly downward as the flaps are lowered to prevent ballooning. I also use servo speed to slow the flaps going down/up to help prevent the plane from porpoising. The challenge has been how to get the elevator, when commanded by the flap/elevator mix, to also slow down when the flaps are moved and maintain its normal speed for regular elevator commands. The closest I can get is to use the ACC function in the P Mix and that only partially works.

I also have tried to do it with the Flap Control function to no avail. Additionally, using the flap control function and the elevator mix on that screen requires you to move a slider/switch up to lower the flaps and down to raise the flaps because the elevator mix only works on the H end of the mixing graph and moving a switch/slider up to lower the flaps and down to raise the flaps is not a good cockpit layout (and reversing a servo does not solve this issue) that is why I am trying to use the PMix. However, I have not been successful.

I would love for someone to resolve this and show that the issue is me and not the radio software. I am prepared to eat lots of crow on this so send your cards and letters. Before submitting your idea let me suggest that you program it on the radio and observe the results on the Monitor screen.

We now have four A9's at our flying field.

Howard
Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM
pilomeza

Try to use the airbrake mix
Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Meyer1811

Howard,

I am using the air-brake function to control my spoilerons and have the speed function set to raise them slowly.

They are set up in conjunction with the ailerons, but you should be able to assign them to your flaps. By setting the throws I have it set to only go up, but reversing the throws would have it only go down, thus providing your flap function.

I don't have real flaps so I can't test this out, but I think it would work.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.