Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:56 PM
czaiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Howard, the camber mix is what you want, it includes a mix for the elevator as well, its handy because its all built into one mix.
It is possible to make the camber mix go both directions, with switch or slider I believe.

Incidently depending on the type of airplane you may want to bring both the ailerons up slightly to be spoileron. I find the model really settles down nicely in terms of stability, whereas bringing them down tends to bring it closer to stalling and more tippy.

I use flaps to go slow or reduce takeoff distance, spoilerons to land nicely.

Uli, the radio is 1.05, however its the module that makes the tone and only during range check. I believe the radio itself knows nothing of the low power mode or that any difference has been made. So we really need a firmware for the module, or we need people to check the way we did, actually bring it to the end, keep restarting the range check till you get there.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:49 PM
avronaut

ORIGINAL: Striker

I have not been flying for the last 6 to 7 years after my hobby time was cut selling one house and buying and moving into a new house, two kids and business.
I sold my giant scale airplanes to friends and my 9C transmitter last year meaning to buy the 10C and build my 27% Edge 540T but got too busy again.

A few days ago I got crazy and said screw this crap, I have to start flying again. Went to one of the hobby shops, picked up Model Airplane News and saw the A9 featured. Came home, downloaded the manual, read some threads and ordered it this morning. It took me less than 12 hrs to make my decision to get it, I am totally impressed with this new transmitter.

Everyone here said it was backordered and every website had out of stock plastered on the ads for them. So I decided to call a big distributor here in Canada to order one and the girl who answered the phone said, strange, our computer shows one in our system so we should have one last one in stock. I said are you sure its an A9 with a 9 channel RX and its new and not a returned or damaged item, she checked and it was a an A9 with a 9ch RX NIB. In a fraction of a second I said I want it and paid to have it shipped to my city priority mail

This radio is unbelievable and for the price, I though I was seeing doubles, I gave my head a shake, wiped my eyes and looked again, CDN $ 500.00 with a 9ch RX, free 7ch and another 7ch for $40 at my door, shipping and taxes in, holy cripes.

I will have this thing in my bed with me for a while........................ programming it you freaks

ORIGINAL: avronaut

It is cold winter in Germany. I don't use gloves and I think it's better to protect hands AND transmitter. Take a look at this video, you will see how I cope with snowfall

http://vimeo.com/8292639

By the way I do not sell this widget. I only want to give you an idea that you can choose out of a wide range of balancers already.

Uli
How the hell do you guys get to that level of flying helis???? WOW, I am an airplane guy and fly fairly OK but holy cow, you were impressive from start to finish, man I am amazed at you guys.
We know the Germans are great but you don't have to rub it in our faces like that Unreal that you were flying while the snow was falling, that's really kewl, we have very long cold winters here so can appreciate what you did.
Great flying Bud, keep it up.
I have to like that vid to my website, I totally loved that. I am into BMW's by the way and was in your City in 2000.

THANKS TO MIKE FROM HITEC FOR ALL THE TIME HE TOOK TO REPLY TO ALL THE QUESTIONS ASKED ABOUT THE A9 AND ALL THE OTHER GUYS WHO SHARED THEIR EXPERIENCE AND TIPS ON PROGRAMMING THE A9.

Thanks and have fun with your Aurora!

Regards

Uli
Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
flycolorado

FWIW...  I "flew" the A9 today. It was an interesting flight as it was also a maiden on a H9 1/4 scale cub gasser. I will need to balance the transmitter on the neck strap. I us thumb and finger and it was very noticeable to have the bottom of the TX heavy. I was constantly re-arranging the radio in flight, not fun when you are trying to adjust trims. I had also enabled flaperons using the slider on the left side and I found myself accidental moving it around during flight. I'll have to move that function to a switch instead until I get used to holding this beast. It turns out the way I hold the transmitter those sliders are in the way. I'll get used to it I'm sure, 8+ years of flying with an 8U I'm bound to have to adjust. It feels much bigger than my old 8U, I'd liken it to going from an orange to a grapefruit. I do like the way the gimbals feel, and everything operated as advertised. This cub has over 4 feet of aileron extensions and I had no glitching issues at all. Low power range check was well over 300' when I gave up. As I mentioned earlier the display is difficult to read in the sunlight and bringing the TX up into view to check the timer is a waisted effort. Not a big deal I'm just used to checking the time periodically during flight, I don't like to do violent maneuvers when I'm on 1/4 or less of a tank. Took me about 20 minutes of prop flipping and tinkering to get the cub fired up (darn scale cowl, I have no access to the choke yet), and I flew for about 15 minutes. All in all I'd say I had 45 minutes "transmitting" and the meter said I used 20%. I'll try to report more on the battery life as I use the radio. All in all I like the radio, I have some adjustments to make but that's to be expected with anything new. I love not having to worry about other people (we had a guy who was flying on 72Mhz without a channel pin, he was the only person at the field until I showed up), and the short antenna is very nice. I'm anxiously awaiting nicer weather to get better acquainted with this new radio and all it's capabilities. If you look at the back wall of the cabin you can see the dual 9Ch antenna's

Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 PM
flycolorado

quote:

ORIGINAL: czaiss If anyone is really interested in having the aurora balance on the strap I could design and adapter of sorts that would cantilever off the originalstrap ringlocation, it seems to be strong enough.This wouldmake the strap connection and thus the balance point about an inch above the power switch. If anyone is interestedlet me know. Shouldnt take more than an hour to design.The cost to make it would depend on how many would be required and on how pretty people want them to be. Or if anyone has machining equipment, Ican supply them with the design and they can make them. Maybe hitecwould wantto make them.

Here's one we're looking at... what do you guys think? - Mike
(pictures attached)

Aurora A9 Balance with Neck Strap

as per
Aurora A9 Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips, (includes Spectra Pro and Optima RX features) . {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

<fieldset><legend accesskey="I">Attachments</legend>

Click for fullsize

Click for fullsize
</fieldset>

Where do you get this cool red one???
Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to point out that if you replace the original Nimh pack with a Lipo pack it has a big effect on weight and balance. Before you do anything about a balancing gizmo try taking the battery out and see how it balances.

TF
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
flycolorado

Been there done that... I removed the battery completely and it had no noticeable difference. Lipo would have no effect on balance...
Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Striker

ORIGINAL: flycolorado

FWIW... I ''flew'' the A9 today. It was an interesting flight as it was also a maiden on a H9 1/4 scale cub gasser. I will need to balance the transmitter on the neck strap. I us thumb and finger and it was very noticeable to have the bottom of the TX heavy. I was constantly re-arranging the radio in flight, not fun when you are trying to adjust trims. I had also enabled flaperons using the slider on the left side and I found myself accidental moving it around during flight. I'll have to move that function to a switch instead until I get used to holding this beast. It turns out the way I hold the transmitter those sliders are in the way. I'll get used to it I'm sure, 8+ years of flying with an 8U I'm bound to have to adjust. It feels much bigger than my old 8U, I'd liken it to going from an orange to a grapefruit. I do like the way the gimbals feel, and everything operated as advertised. This cub has over 4 feet of aileron extensions and I had no glitching issues at all. Low power range check was well over 300' when I gave up. As I mentioned earlier the display is difficult to read in the sunlight and bringing the TX up into view to check the timer is a waisted effort. Not a big deal I'm just used to checking the time periodically during flight, I don't like to do violent maneuvers when I'm on 1/4 or less of a tank. Took me about 20 minutes of prop flipping and tinkering to get the cub fired up (darn scale cowl, I have no access to the choke yet), and I flew for about 15 minutes. All in all I'd say I had 45 minutes ''transmitting'' and the meter said I used 20%. I'll try to report more on the battery life as I use the radio. All in all I like the radio, I have some adjustments to make but that's to be expected with anything new. I love not having to worry about other people (we had a guy who was flying on 72Mhz without a channel pin, he was the only person at the field until I showed up), and the short antenna is very nice. I'm anxiously awaiting nicer weather to get better acquainted with this new radio and all it's capabilities. If you look at the back wall of the cabin you can see the dual 9Ch antenna's

What a beautiful airplane. Thanks for the input with regards to the A9
Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Striker

Before, we had to find the CG or our airplanes, now we have to find the CG of our transmitters

I will machine and mill my neck strap balancer soon
Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am glad I am not hobbled by the neckstrap issue. I have always just used my thumbs. Hopefully at some point I will be able to pick up one of these radios. Meanwhile I will have to continue on with my 9C and 8U.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Striker

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

I am glad I am not hobbled by the neckstrap issue. I have always just used my thumbs. Hopefully at some point I will be able to pick up one of these radios. Meanwhile I will have to continue on with my 9C and 8U.

I was so lucky to find one here in Canada, waiting like a puppy at the door for it. Honestly the neck strap issue would not be a problem, this radio is worth much more than this petty issue. I am amazed at the A9 and coming from an electronic background, I can certainly appreciate the engineering which went into this diamond. I have not received it but after downloading the manual and studying it, I just love this TX.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Bualdoot

Just got an A9 from my LHS in Washington. Played with it last week at the hobby shop for a while. Finally bought it on Monday. So far I like the touchscreen, apparently some people don't. I don't care about the neck strap or balancing problem either since I have always just used thumbs too. Removing the battery to charge doesn't seem like it should be such an issue as people have made it out to be. After looking at the connector for the battery in the transmitter, I can sort of see why people are concerned though. It is a fairly small connector and not that easily accessible. I am sure I will write more thoughts later once I have soe stick time on it.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 AM
avronaut

I use a Lipo and charge it via the balance connector:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14005159@N00/4158403744/

Uli
Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Striker

Uli
Thats great Uli, did you find that the Lipo also helped with the balance issue?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:52 PM
avronaut

Uli
Thats great Uli, did you find that the Lipo also helped with the balance issue?

Not really. I use a G-Force Balancer and it works fine. There is a wide range of balance adapters available and you can choose what ever you like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14005159@N00/4146707557/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14005159@N00/4269703932/

Uli

Old 01-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Striker

Thanks Uli.

I got my A9 a few hrs ago, I am in love

This TX is one sweet radio. I am not picky but two things I did not like so far are both charger related. The charge wires are quite short, I know copper is expensive but come on LOL The other which I don't like but its not a big deal is the very dim charge light. I will make a neat mod which will not void the warantee (I hope) and will post pics of it when done.

As for the balancer Uli, I will machine my own now that I have the A9 in hand, will post pics of that too.

Cheers Guys.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Striker

Guys I have been playing with the A9 a bit tonight. A few things I wish it had in the software is contrast setting and a mute feature. I cant recall if my 9CAP had mute but the constant beeping while programming can be a bit annoying especially when you are programming at one or two in the morning

I am almost sure the 9C did not have mute, maybe I need to crank up my bass.

One "problem" I see with mine which is no biggie is that my integral timer, the one which tells you how long the TX was on for, jumps or adds a quick second every 2 to 3 seconds. So for example you will see the seconds like 10......11.12......13.......14.15......16.......17 .18 It seems to almost double the time every minute, when it reaches 60 seconds, its only 30 seconds which really had past.

My other two flight timers seems fine and is not affected buy this.

Just some observations so far, still loving my TX though
Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Brendan Lugo

Guys I have been playing with the A9 a bit tonight. A few things I wish it had in the software is contrast setting and a mute feature. I cant recall if my 9CAP had mute but the constant beeping while programming can be a bit annoying especially when you are programming at one or two in the morning

I am almost sure the 9C did not have mute, maybe I need to crank up my bass.

One ''problem'' I see with mine which is no biggie is that my integral timer, the one which tells you how long the TX was on for, jumps or adds a quick second every 2 to 3 seconds. So for example you will see the seconds like 10......11.12......13.......14.15......16.......17 .18 It seems to almost double the time every minute, when it reaches 60 seconds, its only 30 seconds which really had past.

My other two flight timers seems fine and is not affected buy this.

Just some observations so far, still loving my TX though

I'm looking at this with the A9 on my desk. I do see the double count every few seconds but then I also notice a delay in the counting scheme. When I compare the integral timer to a stop watch what I notice is a drop of 1 second every minute. So technically the timer is running slower than "real time" by 1 second every minute.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Sound on/off along with Touch-lock will be included in the power menu in the upcoming firmware update.

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27218.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1355396  
Old 01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
rudder turns

Hi Guys,I gave up using a neck strap about 12years ago,when my XL60 helicopter,was idling on a table,As I went to pick up the helicopter, the radio turned side ways,going full throttle,and the tip of the 5' blade just tipped my nose.[X(] I never used one since Thanks Ed
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Striker

ORIGINAL: Brendan Lugo
I'm looking at this with the A9 on my desk. I do see the double count every few seconds but then I also notice a delay in the counting scheme. When I compare the integral timer to a stop watch what I notice is a drop of 1 second every minute. So technically the timer is running slower than ''real time'' by 1 second every minute.
Many thanks Brendan for the reply. The integral timer is not critical at all, especially if it looses time by one second. I was to do the stop watch comparison like you did but as I said, I don't see the absolute importance for a deadly accurate integral timer.

The other two timers are are accurate and that's what I think is important. This radio is certainly a work of art and all the little irrelevant things like integral timer accuracy, unbalanced neck strap and programming beeping are all overlooked easily with the pros of this TX.

You guys are a huge hit with the A9 and now a nightmare for all the manufacturers. I was always a Futaba fanatic and loyal customer until now. I was just about to purchase the 12Z and made the decision to buy this A9 in the blink of an eye, after downloading and reading the manual.

I have been buying the Hitec Digital Servos from the very first one produced and knew since then this was a company that will be leading the race one day in transmitters, that day has arrived.

Thanks guys and keep up the good work.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Striker

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

Sound on/off along with Touch-lock will be included in the power menu in the upcoming firmware update.

Mike.
Mike having such after sales support and an upgradable firmware for the A9 demonstrates and illustrates how Hitec has revolutionize the RC industry. You guys are amazing and coming from an electronic background, I can appreciate the engineering entirely behind this and cant absorb all the greatness the A9 has to offer anytime soon, it's so much to love

Thanks Mike for the reply and info.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Striker

ORIGINAL: rudder turns

Hi Guys,I gave up using a neck strap about 12years ago,when my XL60 helicopter,was idling on a table,As I went to pick up the helicopter, the radio turned side ways,going full throttle,and the tip of the 5' blade just tipped my nose.[X(] I never used one since Thanks Ed
The neck strap is the last thing I use before take off and the first thing disconnected after landing, I was always concerned about the 72Mhz antenna coming into contact with the prop. I like the neck strap and honestly there are some cheap balance adapters on the market to curb the need.

I can machine these and if I had the time, I wish I could make them and give them away for free to the people who want the A9. This is such a great radio and would be a shame and loss for those who would make that an issue.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:09 AM
orcrest

I was wondering, when you buy the 72MHz (or in my case 36MHz)  Spectra module will you get the metal antenna with it or do you need to purchase it separately?
Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 AM
Bualdoot

Pressed enter for a new line and it posted. can i delete a post?
Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Bualdoot

ORIGINAL: orcrest

I was wondering, when you buy the 72MHz (or in my case 36MHz) Spectra module will you get the metal antenna with it or do you need to purchase it separately?
When you remove the 2.4 module the antenna comes out as well. they are attached to each other. So, the 72 module has an antenna attached to it as well from what i understand. So no, you wont buy it separately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.