Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Recommend a good intermediate radio for Heli/Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Recommend a good intermediate radio for Heli/Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 09:59 PM
jdub12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend a good intermediate radio for Heli/Aircraft

Looking to get into a heli and jet. Maybe i could combine the radio to be used for both? Probably look into like a 7 or 8 channel, but i havent been in the scene for a while now and im behind on whats good and what isnt. Can anyone explain the difference between PCM and FM too? Thanks fellas
Old 06-24-2003, 10:07 PM
bpannier

JR 8103 /811 servos nice radio priced right. or Futaba 9C also a good choice. I have both and think my preferance is with th JR.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:07 PM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

I love my Hitec Eclipse 7!

It's a great computer radio for a low end price.

I fly planes and a heli with it. With the Spectra module you can dial in any channel you want (Very Cool!)

C.P.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:48 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will not go wrong with a RD6000 or the RD8000. They will do any type of aircraft and you can use any Rx or servo with them.

Dru.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:22 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Another vote for the Futaba 9C.

Mike
Old 06-25-2003, 03:06 AM
jdub12

talk about the different types of servos vs. rx. What is the difference? And whats up with PCM and FM? I assume they are frequencies, but what exactly is PCM cause i know what FM is.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:43 AM
kwelz
My Feedback: (6)

To me there are really two choices for you.
The Futaba 9C or the Hitech Elcipse 7. I don't include the 8103 from JR because it is very hard to find by itself and the full package is a bit on the high side.

The Eclipse is a great all around Radio. It will work with Positive and negative shift recievers and will work on any channel. This is a great feature that has come in very handy. If I have a reciever fail I can borrow one or replace it with any brand or channel without worry.

The 9C is the best radio on the market for the cost in my opinion.
You have 9 channels (8 with FM) and it is easier to program than anything I have ever seen before.

You can't go wrong with the Eclipse, 9C, or 8103 however. In the end all three are the best deals on the market.

I have an Eclipse and a 9C. I will probably be getting an 8103 or the new 9 channel radio from JR if it comes out. I use my Eclipse for my fun planes and smaller Helicopters, and I use my 9C for my larger Helicopters and planes. If I get the JR I will use it and the 9C as my main radios and use my eclipse as a backup.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:51 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't go wrong with the Futaba 9C. I have had mine for a year and a half and love it. Best radio I have used, and I have used a lot.

Do a search on PCM VS FM, it has been discussed to great leangth on RCU. I prefer PCM, but there are some that don't. Depends on your use. For helis and jets, I think it is way safer. Search it though and you will find tons of info.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:57 PM
katechai

i would suggest to add another choice of JR 9x, very beautiful radio. Have a look !!!!

katechai
Old 06-25-2003, 04:32 PM
kwelz
My Feedback: (6)

We can't get the JR 9X in the US yet.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:47 PM
jdub12

So which Futaba 9C radio would be good for heli/aircraft? They list several models...9CAF,9CHF,9CAP,9CHP?
Old 06-25-2003, 05:34 PM
MHawker

It depends on which you will fly mostly. The "H" models are set up initially for Helis and have one switch in different place and a non "ratcheted" throttle.

The "A" models are set up for planes initially.

Either radio can be switched back and forth to either heli or airplane.

The "P" designation is for radios that come with a PCM RX standard.

Either radio can transmit either PPM or PCM.

If you are going to fly Heli's, I would suggest either of the "H" models. From what I've heard, it is very hard to fly a Heli with a ratcheted throttle. Although you can modify the other radio, it would be easier for you to buy the one that fits you the best.

The PPM or PCM decision is up to you. There are some servo differences between the models too, but that is less of an issue.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:41 PM
strato911

Originally posted by jdub12
talk about the different types of servos vs. rx. What is the difference? And whats up with PCM and FM? I assume they are frequencies, but what exactly is PCM cause i know what FM is.
PCM and PPM are methods of encoding the signal on an FM carrier wave. Most people refer to FM-PPM as FM, hence some confusion ensues.

FM-PPM is an analog encoding scheme where the pulse width represents the requested servo sosition.

FM-PCM is a digital encoding scheme where the requested servo position is represented by a binary pulse stream.

Both systems have approximately the same range, but FM-PCM requires more expensive computing power to decode the signal, and since there is a computer integrated into the Rx, a fail-safe function is possible as well. This means, when the Rx receives an invalid signal, it ignores it, and can be programmed to move the flight controls to a preset position (chosen by the pilot).

The differences in servos are even more extensive, but easier to understand. The standard servos use bushings, then the next step up have ball bearings. There are digitals, coreless, high-torque, high-speed, minis, micros, metal / nylon gear, and who knows what else.

Basicaly select your servo based on your needs : speed, strength, weight and budget.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:34 PM
FLYBOY

I like the throttle on the H models the best, even for airplanes. I don't know why they don't just put them on all the radios like that and have one model, but then they couldn't sell the heli one for a lot more. It usually comes with more expensive servos, so if you want that transmitter, you can buy it by itself and get the servos you want. It is a great feeling radio. Check it out, you will like it.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:44 PM
jdub12

Originally posted by MHawker
It depends on which you will fly mostly. The "H" models are set up initially for Helis and have one switch in different place and a non "ratcheted" throttle.

The "A" models are set up for planes initially.

Either radio can be switched back and forth to either heli or airplane.

The "P" designation is for radios that come with a PCM RX standard.

Either radio can transmit either PPM or PCM.

If you are going to fly Heli's, I would suggest either of the "H" models. From what I've heard, it is very hard to fly a Heli with a ratcheted throttle. Although you can modify the other radio, it would be easier for you to buy the one that fits you the best.

The PPM or PCM decision is up to you. There are some servo differences between the models too, but that is less of an issue.
Ok, so i get the PPM and PCM modes...one other question however. I am doing quite a bit of flying on my simulator and it utilizes a notched throttle. I assume this is what you mean by ratchetted throttle? It got the little grooves for each increment. Anyhow, ive gotten acustom to it since i dont know any better with the other way you say the radios are set up...non ratchetted. So my question is, what is the non ratchetted setup like? I assume it centers like the aileron and elevator stick...so when you press it up, Im assuming that it just increases the cyclic and collective a bit then puts it neutral again? If you want to go lower you just touch is down a bit and center? Im very use to just moving the stick to the correct amount of cyclic and collective and leaving it there...adjusting it up and down for what i need the chopper to do. Can anyone go into depth on what the true heli radios are like? Im think i might like the heli radio but its not sitting in my head right since ive never flown with one..only the ratchetted ones. Thanks
Old 06-25-2003, 06:53 PM
jdub12

Originally posted by FLYBOY
I like the throttle on the H models the best, even for airplanes. I don't know why they don't just put them on all the radios like that and have one model, but then they couldn't sell the heli one for a lot more. It usually comes with more expensive servos, so if you want that transmitter, you can buy it by itself and get the servos you want. It is a great feeling radio. Check it out, you will like it.
does the throttle on the H radios center? or does it just move up and down without the increments?
Old 06-25-2003, 07:01 PM
strato911

Originally posted by jdub12
does the throttle on the H radios center? or does it just move up and down without the increments?
Radios setup for Heli have a non-ratcheted, non-centering throttle. A non-heli radio is easily switched to this by placing a short piece of fuel tubing (split length-wise) over the ratchet. You can probably do this to your simulator interface as well.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:46 PM
FLYBOY

The throttle on the H radios as stated are non ratcheting, meaning they work just like what you are used to, but way way smoother. Most people that have picked mine up really like it. They work the exact same, just no hard steps between each ratchet. They stay where you put them just like the ratchet ones.

Seems to me you said you wanted to fly helis at some point. If this is correct, it is way better to have the smoother throttle. It gives you more accuracy when you set the collective.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:25 PM
MHawker

Ditto to the above. The Non-notched stick stays where you put it, unlike the elevator/aileron stick. Actually, that's not correct... It only stays where you put in while moving up and down. Left/ right (rudder) is spring loaded to "center".

All of the Heli guys I know have a hard time flying with a racheted throttle.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:27 AM
Lynx

Regardless of which one you buy it's a relativly inconsiquential task to convert to any of the others. Although adding the ratchet might be more of a pain. The big difference is the servo's and receiver it comes with, there are transmitter only deals out there though.