Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectra vs. fixed frequency radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 PM
nikolai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectra vs. fixed frequency radio

I am ready to upgrade to a new radio and have a question. I live out in remote Alaska with no rc store within 500 hundred miles, so I need to make sure I purchase the correct radio. I am looking to get the Hitec Esclipse 7, my question is if I should get the spectra version or one that is a fixed frequency? I understand a radio with a spectra module uses up a battery much quicker than a radio on a fixed frequency, am I correct. My Optic 6 with a spectra module seems to go thru a fully charged 1200 Mah NICD battery in a short time. So basically I am looking to get the radio that will give me the longest flying time. Thanks for the help. Nikolai
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spectra vs. fixed frequency radio

I've had an Eclipse 7 with Spektra module for over four years. Your statement about using more power is the first I have heard of this. Don't know. But over these years it has been handy to be able to use more than one channel. Sometimes at a busy flying site(maybe not your case), having a receiver crystal on another frequency means flying when you want vs. when your channel is available. Also, you might buy a completed plane and it will be on another freq. I would assume your reason for buying the Eclipse 7 is to update your transmitter and still use your existing receivers?? Otherwise, I would think you would go the 2.4mhz route.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 AM
nikolai

Thank you for the reply. What is the advantage of going with 2.4mhz? Nikolai
Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the middle of no where, probably not much. If there happened to be a source for radio interference where you fly, the 2.4mhz systems are generally less susceptible. If you need to buy a transmitter and receiver, you would probably be better off going with the newer technology. Without knowing what you now own(radio wise) and what your flying goals are, it is difficult to give opinions. Of course we all know about opinions. Like other things, everybody has one
Old 11-13-2009, 03:18 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nikolai I am ready to upgrade to a new radio and have a question. I live out in remote Alaska with no rc store within 500 hundred miles, so I need to make sure I purchase the correct radio. I am looking to get the Hitec Esclipse 7, my question is if I should get the spectra version or one that is a fixed frequency? I understand a radio with a spectra module uses up a battery much quicker than a radio on a fixed frequency, am I correct. My Optic 6 with a spectra module seems to go thru a fully charged 1200 Mah NICD battery in a short time. So basically I am looking to get the radio that will give me the longest flying time. Thanks for the help. Nikolai
Synthesised modules do use more current frombatteries with many users upgrading from original standard 600 mah NiCad to higher capacity NimH with current issue mainly 1300 NiMH:
Hitec Spectra 2.4GHz Module
Current Drain : 300 mA
Hitec Spectra 35, 36, 40 & 72 Mhz:
Current Drain: 180mA +/- 20mA
Hitec HPF-MI Standard 35, 36, 40 or 72 Mhz Crystal based module
Current Drain: 150mA +/-
SPECS: Length: 2-1/4" (56mm) Width: 1-1/2" (39mm)Height: 1/2" (13mm)
Eclipse is stilla very good robust reliable system and if all your exisiting RX are on same frequency, then a fixed frequency module is the cheapest option. The Eclipse can be upgraded to2.4Ghz at any time later (as can the Optic 6 with same Spectra 2.4GHz module.
Following links may also assist.
Batteries_Lithium Polymer - Do Not Use Lipol in Transmitters
(To be amended with the advent of the Auroa A9 2.4GHz system which are programmed for use with optional Lipol.)
Spectra 2.4/Optima 7 Combo
Hitec RCD Product Details 2009
Hitec RCD Optima 6, 7 & 9ch Receiver Manual
Hitec RCD Spectra 2.4GHz Module Manual
Hitec Aurora Interactive Homepage
Hitec 9ch Aurora 2.4GHz_72 mHz Manual
Aurora 9 Mixes, Setups, Tips, Undocumented Features
Hitec RCD Product Details 2009
with much more on my web page under
"Manuals" and
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ"
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 11-13-2009, 11:33 AM
nikolai

Thank you very much AT. looks like I have some good reading ahead of me. Nikolai