Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help!! Good throttle servo

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 11:33 PM
shadowspring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Good throttle servo

I'm building a seduction freestyle and am wanting to save every bit of weight i can. Will the HS-81 (.58 oz) be strong enough to use as a throttle servo and still give me quick response?? i am using a 6v nimh battery.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:08 AM
Giant Scale

I've been using the hs 85mg and hs 85bb with good luck in my fun-fly planes. The hs 81 on 6 volt should be OK, I'd probably go with the hs 81mg.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:31 AM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Should be plenty if the linkage is free. I have used the Hitec 55's on throttles of .91 size planes. Juse make sure the linkage doesn't bind.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:28 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesnt' matter what you use on a throttle, get the lightest fastest servo you can for it.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:23 AM
Lynx

Throttle linkages undergo virtually zero load, you can actuate the linkage with your pinky no problem so amount of torque is irrelevant. Like fly said, go for a super fast micro servo.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:12 PM
shadowspring

I think i'll try the hs-55 and spend my time making sure that there is no binding in the linkage. i was thinking that anything will work also, but i had read a review of the magic 3d on rcfaq.com and the guy said that the hs-81 was terrible as a throttle servo. i also have a magic 3d and the way the stock throttle linkage is set-up creates a lot of binding. it stresses even my standard servo so i can see where he got that from. i'll find a way to make the .25 oz hs-55 wok on my freestyle. i think i'll also buy a hi-tec electron mini reciever to save another 1oz+.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:44 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

My favorite way to mount a micro throttle servo is on the firewall (outside the plane) or just behind the firewall (on the inside). I use a short pushrod with no outer tube that makes a straight shot to the throttle, esentially no friction.

Make sure you use some type of vibration damping, the micro servos don't always come with rubber grommets. A piece of rubber band works well.

The mini servos servos have plenty of umph to use a pushrod and tube and mount the servo inside the radio compartment.

The Magic does come with a lousy throttle pushrod.