Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 10C or Aurora 9 for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 10C or Aurora 9 for the money?

I have a Futaba 9CAP super that I have been flying with for the last two years and I love it,but with increasing pressure to go 2.4,I'm now thinking about the Futaba 10C or maybe the Hitec Aurora 9.And I know I could always just use a 2.4 module in my 9CAP but I want to know all my options.I've really read some high praises for the hitec,of course I've always flown Futaba.With all the deals and coupons for free receivers on the hitec,it may be time to try something new. Advice? Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 10C or Aurora 9 for the money?

I have had the 9C Super for about 3 years and just got the 10CAG with native 2.4G. No module. I love it. Huge screen, all state of the art electronics. The Hitec is a lot cheaper so that's always a plus. People seem to like it. Keep one thing in mind. FASST is probably the best 2.4G system out there. That went into my decision. Also the fact that I know the 9C programming inside out. The 10CAG is the same programming but a little easier with the added navagation button. I love the 10CAG. Servo city has the transmitter only for $400. Bruchner hobbies has the best package deals. Transmitter, 12 ch, 7ch receivers for a killer price. My buddy just picked up that package. Hard to beat the price.

I used to have the 9C with the Spektrum module. That worked ok but only ran PPM at 512 resolution. My new 10CAG is 2048.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 AM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

AURORA 9!!!!!!! I was flying with a futaba 12fg for over a year now.. Had to send it to futaba service..So I bought an aurora 9 to get me through. Ended up liking it so much I sold the 12fg!! Reciever prices are awesome and I love the big backlit touch screen. Has all the programming flexibility as futaba does but is MUCH easier to set-up and use.. I fly this system now on all of my 35%-40% big birds and have confidence in it..I think for the money the a-9 is the better buy.. Plus the telemetry!! One thing it has the 10c is missing is the quad bearing gimbals.. They are smooth!! I loved that about my futaba 12fg. AAnd you dont get that on the 10c.. You cant go wrong with futaba eather.. FASST is rock solid and the best. Eather way you cant go wrong and the technology is much more robust than the "pick 2 channels and pray" scenareo that the other guys are on..
Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 AM
CustomPC

I have a 10CAG which I like a lot.

What sells it to me on paper is the broader range of FASST receivers and the fact that FASST has a good reputation. I like the 10CAG's menu structure. It's not as flexible as some newer competitors such as the 8FG, Airtronics SD10-G or even the Aurora, but i actually prefer it because i don't have to remember where i assigned particular switches for each model.

I handled the Aurora9 at the LHS the other day and i was impressed with the solid weighty feel of it. I almost bought it out of sheer curiosity but i checked it for the known issue and found the deadband problem on all the radios in stock, so i decided to hold off until they correct it at the factory. There's also the latency debate, with the Futaba having a response time over 3 times faster, but it still has to be proven to me if the human hand/eye can really detect a difference of 35ms.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 AM
JIMF14D

I know nothing about 10c but have had the Aurora 9 since March and over 100 total flights on 4 airplanes, two electric and two .70 4-strokes.
A9 is very nice so far:
    [*]Nice touchscreen display and very easy/fast to program with easy menu system. I find my self fine tuning and trying things more often since it is so easy.[*]Many combos due to Flight condition switches. Complete flexibility since any stick or switch can be anything you want it to be. Servo speed adjust.[*]What seems like bullet proof RF link so far. Ground checks to over 200 paces, flys to the limit of my eyes with large .46 size models.[*]Software upgradeable.[*]4-5 hour TX battery life. Rx downlinks Rx voltage so you see it on Tx and Tx beeps when it gets low. Telemetry options can include fuel, temp etc downlink[*]Seperate RX power port if you want to use it. Up to 35 volts lets you run your Rx directly on EP lipos etc. Reduces brownout potential.[*]Rx prices are modest. 6 channel Rx for $43 at some web sites.[*]Nice soft grips on transmitter ends.[*]Good price at $375 with one 7 channel Rx[*]Nice saftey items. Throttle lock. TX beeps at turn on if throttle is up or other than Normal flight condition switch is set. Easy to set failsafe on all channels.[*]I have had Hitec Tx/Rx/servos for 10 years with no problems and good support.[/list]Go look at one at your LHS!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Pippin

I would put the T10 next to the A9 in the LHS and look at them. I guess, you would walk out of the shop with the Futaba in your hands. Maybe, with the new Futaba S-Bus Rx too.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
JIMF14D

Iwould never walk out with Futaba...... Outrageous Rx prices and antiquated programing from what Ican see.
By the way. Iwalked out with Hitec A9 in March and never looked back!

Jim D.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:15 AM
taildragger21

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

I would never walk out with Futaba...... Outrageous Rx prices and antiquated programing from what I can see.
By the way. I walked out with Hitec A9 in March and never looked back!

Jim D.
Being an ex-futaba user I WILL say fasst is the best link period.. But me selling the 12fg after I bought the hitec says a lot!!.. For the money this hitec is going to rattle the market.. The "big 2" needs to come up with somthing..
Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 AM
JIMF14D

Iwill let you know if an A9/Optima Rx airplane ever has a link drop at my field.

In the meantime enjoy your A9. No wheels and pulleys to program it!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just be aware the 10c is only a 8ch radio with two on off channels that I think you will find very limited.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
JIMF14D

You bring up a good point. It is important to read throught the specs and read reviews on these things as there are lots of hidden "does everything but...." issues.

LIke failsafe................whoops it only works on throttle on some systems.

Jim D
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: taildragger21

Being an ex-futaba user I WILL say fasst is the best link period.. But me selling the 12fg after I bought the hitec says a lot!!.. For the money this hitec is going to rattle the market.. The ''big 2'' needs to come up with somthing..
You and I have a similar history, I also sold my 12FG and bought the A9 and I'm very happy.

So I don't understand your logic about FASST being the best. FASST works perfectly. Hitec's AFHSS also work perfectly. How do you figure one is better than the other? I rate them to be identical in performance.

TF
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
pilotpete2

You gotta be kidding
I have opto kill switches on all my larger planes, so right there I'm on par with a 9 channel full proportional rig. Add retracts and I have a full 10 channel radio with my 8FG, or a 10C
Pete
Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 AM
taildragger21

ORIGINAL: rctom

Being an ex-futaba user I WILL say fasst is the best link period.. But me selling the 12fg after I bought the hitec says a lot!!.. For the money this hitec is going to rattle the market.. The ''big 2'' needs to come up with somthing..
You and I have a similar history, I also sold my 12FG and bought the A9 and I'm very happy.

So I don't understand your logic about FASST being the best. FASST works perfectly. Hitec's AFHSS also work perfectly. How do you figure one is better than the other? I rate them to be identical in performance.

TF
Tom,
I guess I am biased as I had a lot of faith in the FAAST system.. The link is awesome (hitec is as well)My first venture to 2.4 left me gun shy. My firstwas XPS and after a brown out for no reason I was skeptical.. I then bought an x9303 and after losing bind I got rid of it and went to fasst.. I will say on the quality of the 12fg when I got it last year I was a bit dissapointed. SMOOTH sticks but a cheap wal-mart appearance. A few months back I had to send my 12fg in to get the stick pots calibrated as my trims were WAY off. Thats when I bought the a-9 as I was skeptical of the futaba. I was so impressed with the hitec I sold the futaba after I flew it a bunch more and got my confidence back with it. I will say so far it is as rock solid as the fasst system was. I don't feel like I stepped backwards in quality and feautres eather. SOmtimes the futaba had me scratching my head with the programing. Not so with the aurora. The only think I dont like as much as fasst is that it only hops 20 channels and scan mode is useless to fly with..But I heard great reports form joe nall.. I feel this radio with the touch screen, ease of programming,fhss, flexibility, and telemetry, and rx cost is going to put a hole in the other brands market..!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:49 PM
rctom

I was so impressed with the hitec I sold the futaba after I flew it a bunch more and got my confidence back with it. I will say so far it is as rock solid as the fasst system was. I don't feel like I stepped backwards in quality and feautres eather. SOmtimes the futaba had me scratching my head with the programing. Not so with the aurora. The only think I dont like as much as fasst is that it only hops 20 channels and scan mode is useless to fly with..But I heard great reports form joe nall.. I feel this radio with the touch screen, ease of programming,fhss, flexibility, and telemetry, and rx cost is going to put a hole in the other brands market..!
OK, so you are agreeing that the Futaba FASST and Hitec AFHSS are equivalent in performance, you just believe that since Futaba hops among more channels (if it does, I'm not sure if this is documented anywhere) it seems like it ought to be better. OK, your personal opinion is as valid as anybody else's.

Why would you think scan mode is useless? I actually think it could be a life saver in certain situations. If you arrive at an event where there are lots of radios, you can enter scan mode and let the A9 pick out 20 channels that it likes the best in that environment. That seems like a pretty good idea, allowing the radio to analyze the environment and eliminate busy channels from its list of usable channels and replace them with non-busy channels. I've never used it or needed it, but I can see some potential value in being able to adapt to an environment. This would assure that it really does get the most out of the 20 channels it has assigned.

TF
Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 PM
taildragger21

ORIGINAL: rctom

I was so impressed with the hitec I sold the futaba after I flew it a bunch more and got my confidence back with it. I will say so far it is as rock solid as the fasst system was. I don't feel like I stepped backwards in quality and feautres eather. SOmtimes the futaba had me scratching my head with the programing. Not so with the aurora. The only think I dont like as much as fasst is that it only hops 20 channels and scan mode is useless to fly with..But I heard great reports form joe nall.. I feel this radio with the touch screen, ease of programming,fhss, flexibility, and telemetry, and rx cost is going to put a hole in the other brands market..!
OK, so you are agreeing that the Futaba FASST and Hitec AFHSS are equivalent in performance, you just believe that since Futaba hops among more channels (if it does, I'm not sure if this is documented anywhere) it seems like it ought to be better. OK, your personal opinion is as valid as anybody else's.

Why would you think scan mode is useless? I actually think it could be a life saver in certain situations. If you arrive at an event where there are lots of radios, you can enter scan mode and let the A9 pick out 20 channels that it likes the best in that environment. That seems like a pretty good idea, allowing the radio to analyze the environment and eliminate busy channels from its list of usable channels and replace them with non-busy channels. I've never used it or needed it, but I can see some potential value in being able to adapt to an environment. This would assure that it really does get the most out of the 20 channels it has assigned.

TF
Tom I agree.. Let me reword it.. I didn't mean scan mode is useless.. I guess I meant ti would be usless to fly in scan mode as it takes so long to reboot in scan mode.. I think Mike from hitec said you can run scan mode and back to normal before you fly.. That is what you meant right?? Futaba does hop around 38 channels I think??So far hitec has been bullet proof for me but it is still new to me.. I do think their system works just as well..
Old 06-18-2010, 04:42 PM
DougV

Futaba FASST after boot, it uses 36 channels. But it hobs to every other channel for a total of 72 channels.

Doug.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
JIMF14D

Rember when you spread the power you only have a fixed amount to spread.
Jim D.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

I have both the 10C and A9 and still use both. The RF link with each system is robust. Since the programming of the A9 is much more like the 12FG and yet is simpler to use, I would go A9. Great radio, features, good receiver prices, easy to use and at a good price point.

Oh, the company is listening to consumer requests and including those feasible in updates. Go ahead, ask futaba to make a change for ya.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:00 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

What do you guys think about just putting a 2.4 module in the 9CAP ?I would be up for that,but can't get myself to pay $300.00 to do it.If I can't get a better deal than that,I will just buy a new system.Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 AM
rctom

Tom I agree.. Let me reword it.. I didn't mean scan mode is useless.. I guess I meant ti would be usless to fly in scan mode as it takes so long to reboot in scan mode.. I think Mike from hitec said you can run scan mode and back to normal before you fly.. That is what you meant right?? Futaba does hop around 38 channels I think??So far hitec has been bullet proof for me but it is still new to me.. I do think their system works just as well..
Yes, that's what I meant. I would normally just use scan mode once in a new highly congested area to pick out the best channels, then go to normal mode for flying. I do think it's a useful option.

TF
Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: flyerdave

What do you guys think about just putting a 2.4 module in the 9CAP ?I would be up for that,but can't get myself to pay $300.00 to do it.If I can't get a better deal than that,I will just buy a new system.Thanks
I flew that way for quite some time, it works fine.

One thing you fail to gain is speed, the 9C is really slow and you can get some mismatch in travel speeds if you use it for something like dual elevator servos. The other drawback is that you only get 8 channels.

You can get the Hitec module with a 7 channel receiver for $110.00. With 9 channel it;s $150.00.

TF
Old 06-19-2010, 10:49 AM
JIMF14D

Or $105 with two 6 channel Rx or $120 with two 7 channel Rx.....see Ebay or Tom's RC. You can get the Hitec module alone on Ebay for $25 to $35.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
baddley

Hi

I currently own a Futaba T7CAP and it is a good radio. Does anybody now if there is a module to convert it to the 2.4 FASST ?

I have had some problems on 72 MHZ and just don't feel very that is as reliable as the newer technology that is out there. Is the programming on the 10 CAG similar to that on the T7CAP or does anyone now. I have always flown with Futaba radios and I would like to stick with them !

Thanks Scott
Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
apache

ORIGINAL: ira d

Just be aware the 10c is only a 8ch radio with two on off channels that I think you will find very limited.
I have a 9c for over 5yrs and just realize it only have 8ch. I was doing some research on these two radios. I would expect the 10c to have 10 channel. I will definitely go with the a9 now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.