Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can i use an airplane radio/reciever on a boat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Supervetteracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i use an airplane radio/reciever on a boat?

I have an extra 2.4 reciever transmitter and I just got a Blackjack 26 BL boat. The transmitter and reciver that came with the boat suck. Just terrible. If I go 2.4 then I can seal the top onto the boat.

Thoughts? I'm only going about 100 yards away at the MOST.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
KellenR

Default RE: Can i use an airplane radio/reciever on a boat?

I dont see why not, as long as you set it up and be sure all the servos function properly relative to the stick movements.  The only issue I see that might happen is that the left stick on an air Tx doesn't have a spring return on the Y-axis (up and down).  It starts all the way down and gradually increases upward and stays where you have it.  If your boat has a "reverse" function then you would need to modify the Tx with a spring loaded 'center return' on the left stick.  Also, if the Tx/Rx system have a failsafe feature it probably cant be used.  Reason being, if you lose signal or power the failsafe will return the throttle to the "0" position, which in your case would be full reverse.

To test this hookup the receiver to a battery supply and spare servo.  Center the left throttle stick and then turn off the Tx.  Then turn the Tx back on.  If the servo moves back down it has a failsafe and will not be suitable.  If the servo stays where it is and you can again move it with the stick movement then you're good.  (If the boat doesn't have a reverse feature then you're fine as is, you don't even need to modify the Tx with a spring return).

I'm not a boat guy but the concept is the same I believe when it comes to Tx/Rx and servo movement.  Maybe you can find a boat person on here answer this question better for ya.  Good luck!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Supervetteracer

Thanks for the reply.  The ESC onthe boat has no reverse.  So it sounds like I'm good.  I'm guessing that the 2.4 will work on the water as well, if not better than, 72MHz. 

One way to find out.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 PM
KellenR

Oh yeah.  The 2.4GHz will be great.  Way better than the FM you're using.  You'll lose sight of the boat before your radio stops controlling it.  No radio interference either, say if you turn on your boat before your transmitter, your servos dont start squawking.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use 2.4 on any type RC. You can only use 75MHz on boats and only 72MHz on aircraft . Water can adversely effect 2.4 more so than 75MHz but if you keep the active portion of the antenna (that last few mms) as high as you get it on a boat, you will probably be okay.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Supervetteracer

ORIGINAL: Rodney

You can use 2.4 on any type RC. You can only use 75MHz on boats and only 72MHz on aircraft . Water can adversely effect 2.4 more so than 75MHz but if you keep the active portion of the antenna (that last few mms) as high as you get it on a boat, you will probably be okay.

By antenna you mean the one on the reciever?

The radio that came with this unit is garbage. I've bought toys from walmart with better range.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Supervetteracer

ORIGINAL: Rodney

By antenna you mean the one on the reciever?

The radio that came with this unit is garbage. I've bought toys from walmart with better range.
Yes, the receiver antenna on the 2.4GHz unit. I'm not familiar with your radio but if it is typical, the receiver antenna is a coax line with the very tip having the outer shield removed for 1/4 wavelength. It is only that tip that is receiving any signal from your transmitter and it should not be shielded in any manner with any conducting material. Keep that portion of the antenna positioned so that there is a clear path between it and the transmitting antenna.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:46 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Supervetteracer I have an extra 2.4 reciever transmitter and I just got a Blackjack 26 BL boat. The transmitter and reciver that came with the boat suck. Just terrible. If I go 2.4 then I can seal the top onto the boat. Thoughts? I'm only going about 100 yards away at the MOST.
Caution, not all units are suitable for use with model boats, especially yachts.
Many are prone to problems with shadowing behind other boats, especially yachts and ground effect.
Distance of 2.4gHzover water is much less than high in the air as tip of RX antenna can not be raised as high as the older systems so as to get out of ground effect.
FWIWSpektrum, Spektrum Marine Article provide a separate system for use with GP/EP boats, and their web page makes no mention of yachts or use in a crowded area at all. Perhaps they alsoexperience the sameshadowing problems (loss of control when one model passes behind another)as locals who have triedDSM and similar systems.
AFHSSAFHSS in operation -Video appears to be the least effected by masts/superstructure etc of other boats and easy to install so as toavoid the problems with carbon fibre hulls/masts.
AFHSS Telemetry - Range test Using Segway & GPS - Video - Demonstrates remarkable 2100+ft not only through large obstacles but also with Heli sitting in ground effect. - this would be less over water.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

10Jul10 PS: another thread
"2.4 Ghz is Ok for car but there seem to be issues when used on the water, many of my club mate have had problems with Spektrum in boat application(very reduced range)."
Old 07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Stupid question. What are the other Yachts using? Maybe they would be able to help you better.