RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/8515737-new-hitec-aurora-9-channel-2-4ghz-radio-system.html)

Propworn 09-26-2011 08:28 AM

RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: chocorrol

guys I'm wondering if any of you have had this issue:

A friend of mine got his new Aurora like two weeks ago, and yesterday he told me that it has been like three times that he turns on the Tx and it just doesn't start up, the power light is on but the LCD is completely blank, this happened to me once but I didn't pay attention 'cause it never happened again, but with my friend's radio seems to me a little more serious.

have any of you guys had this problem?

A.T. or Mike: should he send his radio to service?</p>

Honestly a phone call to Hitec is pretty inexpensive and the information will be exactly the answer you need. Some things other users can easily answer however if I have a serious concern I contact tech support for the answer.

JIMF14D 09-26-2011 08:51 AM

Ihave had a similar problem maybe 5 times in 18 months. This is with hundreds of flights and who knows how many total on off cycles. In my case the TX does not come on at all, no light no display. I had it this AM. After 3 on /off cycles it was ok. Ihave even pushed on the switch hard making sure it is up as far as it can go that does not seem to change things.

I have not spoken to Hitec about it to date.

Jim D

chocorrol 09-26-2011 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Propworn

Honestly a phone call to Hitec is pretty inexpensive and the information will be exactly the answer you need.
it gets a little expensive when you call from M&eacute;xico! lol but you are still right, Ijust wanted to see if this happens with all the Auroras or it was just bad luck but now I can see it is "normal"

Propworn 09-26-2011 09:50 AM

Honestly a phone call to Hitec is pretty inexpensive and the information will be exactly the answer you need.
it gets a little expensive when you call from México! lol but you are still right, I just wanted to see if this happens with all the Auroras or it was just bad luck but now I can see it is ''normal''
There is always email. From Canada I have used both methods to contact them when needed depends how urgently I needed an answer.

Dennis

chocorrol 09-26-2011 10:11 AM

There is always email. From Canada I have used both methods to contact them when needed depends how urgently I needed an answer.

Dennis

and there is always a forum where you can get some answers from people just like yourself, if we should call tech support everytime we are in doubt, then forums wouldn't exist... don't you think so?

4*60 09-26-2011 10:17 AM

Happened to me once, in about a year, so multi times seem possibly abnormal.

Wayne Miller 09-26-2011 10:27 AM

Hi,

It happened to me once, but I blamed on turning it on and off too quickly. Now I just wait a second or two before turning it back on and everything is fine.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Propworn 09-26-2011 12:07 PM

Dennis

and there is always a forum where you can get some answers from people just like yourself, if we should call tech support everytime we are in doubt, then forums wouldn't exist... don't you think so?
I guess it depends how deeply the issue concerns you? As you can see others have had the same issue so you’re not alone. If it were my radio I would want to know why it’s happening from the manufacturer. Could be nothing but it could be a symptom of a bigger problem on the horizon. Forums can be a fantastic source of information when it’s factual however they can be terrible and down right misleading if the advice or information is from opinion or conjecture rather than hard facts. It’s totally up to the reader to separate the wheat from the chaff. Good luck with your radio and many happy hours of flying.

Dennis

goldeagle 09-26-2011 05:42 PM

can someone tell me what is the best screen protector for the AURORA-9? also what is the best battery to buy for extended flying? thanks

ohmyers 09-26-2011 05:47 PM

Your better off without one.

Michel 09-26-2011 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: ohmyers

Hi
Strange ,.......................... I have a 2300 Mah battery and a screensaver . I,m in my second season . .............. Now ,..... explane to , " ME " ,.................... why we,er better off , " NOT " have these items ? I,m all ears .

Michel

Speedfreek 68 09-26-2011 06:10 PM

I am willing to trade my Hitec Aurora9 for another transmitter

42etus 09-26-2011 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Speedfreek 68

I am willing to trade my Hitec Aurora9 for another transmitter
I've got an old Futaba gold box I'll trade. I'd even pay shipping.

WILDCRASHWILLY 09-26-2011 07:53 PM

Hi guys,

Need advice. The 2.4 and especially the A9 systems seem to need more power. I'm thinking of changing all my planes including Giant scale over to A123 LIFo batteries. Had originally thought about Lipos but don't want to add the regulator into the system. I posted here as this will be for use with the Optima 9's. Also, can you direct me to a good web site concerning Lifo or Lipoly? I've been reading on Hangetimes.com sight and it has been informational but wanted to see some other views. Unless I change my mind I'm leaning toward the A123's eventhough I'll have to invest in some other chargers.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Speedfreek 68 09-26-2011 08:22 PM

No sorry but I dont't want a vintage radio.

BuschBarber 09-26-2011 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: WILDCRASHWILLY

Hi guys,

Need advice. The 2.4 and especially the A9 systems seem to need more power. I'm thinking of changing all my planes including Giant scale over to A123 LIFo batteries. Had originally thought about Lipos but don't want to add the regulator into the system. I posted here as this will be for use with the Optima 9's. Also, can you direct me to a good web site concerning Lifo or Lipoly? I've been reading on Hangetimes.com sight and it has been informational but wanted to see some other views. Unless I change my mind I'm leaning toward the A123's eventhough I'll have to invest in some other chargers.

I am using LiFe, which is equivalent to A123, as Rx packs. The charge lasts forever and the recharge time is fast. Also, I can use them, without a regulator, on any system that has servos compatible with 6v. I use FMA 10S chargers. Hobbico sells the LiFe brand, but the packs are long and flat. I bought some EPbuddy brand LiFe batteries at eJets International, last year and this year. A 2500mah pack takes up much less room than the long flat packs and has more capacity for the size. The cells are round.

Speedfreek 68 09-26-2011 08:25 PM

no thanks.

Speedfreek 68 09-26-2011 08:28 PM

no thanks.

AJsToyz 09-27-2011 01:35 AM

ORIGINAL: ohmyers

I wanna see this! no battery ?? LOL

JIMF14D 09-27-2011 03:38 AM

The standard A9 battery is good for 5+ hours of flying (on time).
Jim D

WILDCRASHWILLY 09-27-2011 05:21 AM

Thanks for the info Rich.

Jim,
Not sure if you are talking to me but wanted to clarify, I'm seeking info on switching out all of my 6volt Rx packs.

Thanks

JIMF14D 09-27-2011 08:08 AM

Ok Ithought you meant your TX battery.

WILDCRASHWILLY 09-27-2011 06:37 PM

Sorry,
I have a tendency to muck up my sentence structure along with awful spelling when typing my thoughts.

goldeagle 09-27-2011 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

The standard A9 battery is good for 5+ hours of flying (on time).
Jim D

hey thanks,I see that LIFE has it own website but I am not sure about there TX batteries being used in the AURORA,it seems they are ok for RX but I cant find any info on the TX batteries in A123,OR LIFE,does anybody use the ZAG style film to protect the AURORA screen?

goldeagle 09-27-2011 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: WILDCRASHWILLY

Hi guys,

I am using LiFe, which is equivalent to A123, as Rx packs. The charge lasts forever and the recharge time is fast. Also, I can use them, without a regulator, on any system that has servos compatible with 6v. I use FMA 10S chargers. Hobbico sells the LiFe brand, but the packs are long and flat. I bought some EPbuddy brand LiFe batteries at eJets International, last year and this year. A 2500mah pack takes up much less room than the long flat packs and has more capacity for the size. The cells are round.
THIS might be of some help,for life,A123 INFOhangtimes.com/a123

A.T. 09-28-2011 12:46 AM

ORIGINAL: goldeagle hey thanks,I see that LIFE has it own website but I am not sure about there TX batteries being used in the AURORA,it seems they are ok for RX but I cant find any info on the TX batteries in A123,OR LIFE,does anybody use the ZAG style film to protect the AURORA screen?
. <font color="#22229c">Aurora 9 - Battery Installed ex Factory</font> is part #54128 "TX NiMH battery (6 cell) Pack (Flat Type) for AUR (RA9) 7.2v / 1300 MAh"(not an Eneloop 2000)...... <font size="1">Includes notes on Battery Compartment Size, Alternate Batteries and 2S Lipo Capabilities for Aurora &amp; Optima RX.</font>
<span style="font-size: smaller">extract = "6. Hitec Transmitters:
<span style="font-size: x-small">Caution: <font color="#ff0000">Do Not Use LiFE in Hitec Transmitters </font>using a 6 cell NiCD/NiMH pack
</span>.e.g. Aurora 9, Optic 6 Sport &amp; Optic 5 2.4Ghz. Not only is the size to large for the pocket, the nominal voltage is already at the Low battery Warning level.
Hitec Transmitters using 8 cell NiCD/ 8 cell NiMH packs: e.g. Eclipse and Optic 6
A 3 cell A123 is really to low and a 4 cell A123 (LiFe) is too high.
(</span><span style="font-size: smaller"><font color="#22229c">A 3 Cell lipo is not ok without a regulator</font></span><span style="font-size: smaller"> set aprox 10.5-11.0V)"

<font size="2">. </font><font color="#22229c" size="2">Aurora 9 - Screen Protector</font><font size="2"> - Remove or Not and alternate replacements.</font>

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules &amp; Optima Transceivers
- FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

<span style="font-size: x-small">Alan T.
</span>Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links
</span>

WILDCRASHWILLY 09-28-2011 06:04 AM

Thank you for the info. Goldeagle and AT,

AT, I'm considering the lifo for the rx side only. The Tx battery seems to perform well.

Again thanks to both for your response.

zx32tt 09-28-2011 08:02 AM

I'm using a zippy 2300 mah 2cell lipo in my A9. Works great, stays charged for weeks. :D
zx32tt

brenthampton79 10-02-2011 08:01 PM

Ok so what's the verdict on using the a9 with a gas engine? My setup is a Giles with a dle 20 with an optima 7 rx, I will be using a rcexl opto kill switch, the ignition box is mounted on the firewall and the rx is mounted about 12 inches away from the ignition box. I haven't updated my rxs or Tx since I bought it for several reasons. I do have another brand radio with the same above setup and have used it successfully, just wondering if I need to use that brand until they find out more about the gasser issue if there is such an issue. I'm hoping I can move forward with the a9 on the Giles since I absolutely love this radio for the little time I've used it with my two glow planes I've used it on.

Ken Cz 10-03-2011 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: goldeagle

ORIGINAL: canavanbob

I'm getting a second A9 with the XPS module, I will sell the receivers to fund the purchase of the XPS module. I should have them Saturday.
9 ch 3 @ 50$ each
7 ch 2 @ 35$ each
6 ch 3 @ 30$ each
YOU ASKE ME IF PAYPAL WAS GOOD,ISAID YES NEED YOUR PAYPAL INFO,NOW YOU ARE TELLING ME YOU SOLD THEM?>
At least you got a reply - I asked if they were still available and did not get the courtesy of a reply. Zero. Simple yes or no was all that was needed.

Waco 10-03-2011 07:13 AM

I been on this thread and a few others for a while now and canavanbob is on all of them blasting the Aurora, from what I see I would not put much creditably on what he says. Heck I bet he don't even have those items to sell there just part of his story he trying to sell everyone on how bad the Aurora is. You can not believe everything you see on these threads because there are guys on here with agendas.

zx32tt 10-03-2011 09:21 AM

1+

AJsToyz 10-03-2011 11:02 AM

I have used my Aurora 9pm glow, electric, and gas with no problems what so ever. My radio is one of the early ones with the null zone thing and still no troubles. I was flying all through the different updates with out any issues with controlling my planes. I did have an issue with my DX7, the ailerons were reversed and I put here in on take off. Does this keen it was a bad radio?? :D

100% satisfied with the performance of my radio. Oh yeh, I started following this thread around the time the radio hit the streets.

Andy

OldRookie 10-03-2011 11:24 AM

I also have one of the early models, and haven't had anything except perfect performance.
Sometimes when you read these forums, it seems like all doom and gloom. You have to remember that of the majority of owners haven't had a bit of trouble with this radio.

Greg

BuschBarber 10-03-2011 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

I also have one of the early models, and haven't had anything except perfect performance.
Sometimes when you read these forums, it seems like all doom and gloom. You have to remember that of the majority of owners haven't had a bit of trouble with this radio.

Greg
I have been monitoring this thread since the A9 was first introduced. I was surprised, a short time ago, to find a thread on FG that totally rips on the A9. I asked why, on FG, and was told that FG was more into Giant Scale and Gas, which they indicated was a problem with the A9.

Ken Cz 10-03-2011 11:36 AM

Ditto- Same here.
12 models loaded, flown regularly from small electric to giant scale gas, absolutely flawless.

All updates to TX, Module, RX worked fine, no problems.

The one 'run-time' error I had when trying to update a RX turned out to be a problem with my older laptop.
Used my desktop and the problem went away - not a Hitec problem - Mine.

Thanks Hitec!

72 10-03-2011 11:42 AM

+1 !!! Mine is fine. Early one too. Guess my expo hides my null zones!!

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

I have used my Aurora 9pm glow, electric, and gas with no problems what so ever. My radio is one of the early ones with the null zone thing and still no troubles. I was flying all through the different updates with out any issues with controlling my planes. I did have an issue with my DX7, the ailerons were reversed and I put here in on take off. Does this keen it was a bad radio?? :D

100% satisfied with the performance of my radio. Oh yeh, I started following this thread around the time the radio hit the streets.

Andy

OldRookie 10-03-2011 11:46 AM

A person is more likely to post when having problems, than when they are not. If you are not you may not even look at the threads

Greg

brenthampton79 10-03-2011 12:04 PM

Thanks guys for the input, I felt pretty confident about the a9 but was a little cautious since there are a few people said something. I'm new to gas as well as with the a9 so I'm just trying to be careful is all. My a9 hasn't ever made me think it was any less reliable than the other brand I already owned for a long time. So far I really love this system, and plan to switch out my fasst rxs for optimas. I think the battery telemetry is probably one of the most important features of the radio. I've seen several planes go down due to an on board battery issue. I've always charged mine before I fly but I keep the planes in our hangar put together during the fall when I can fly them quite a bit so i tend not to take the wings off to inspect the batteries, but with the inboard voltage you'll know immediately if u have a bad cell. Again thanks for the reassurance, now it's off to get my planes ready to fly today!

OldRookie 10-03-2011 12:25 PM

brenthampton29

There are a number of people with legitimate complaints, and are entitled to voice those complaints here. You have to remember though, that the majority of people haven't had problems.
Another plus with the telemetry with electric, is that you don't fly by a timer. Just set an alarm, and the radio will tell you when to land.

Greg