RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/8515737-new-hitec-aurora-9-channel-2-4ghz-radio-system.html)

Michel 08-31-2011 04:41 PM

RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: 4*60

Baloney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi

Baloney,..................................... I remember this word ,......................... doesn,t it mean it,s full of , PHOO !!!!!!! :):):):):):) , or do I have the wrong termination ,...........

I just thought it was funny when I read it .

Michel

goldeagle 08-31-2011 09:17 PM

hey my semi new aurora-9 is on its way,from a fellow rc'er.can you guys recc the first step to take besides reading the instructions!I am doing that already.I want to get the current updates for the radio and recievers optima-7 is this an easy process?also is there a need to install each update or can you go directly to the most recent? thanks all.

BuschBarber 08-31-2011 09:35 PM

I was helping a fellow club member who is the only one in our club with the Aurora 9. I found that his Touch Screen seemed to be out of Calibration because when I pressed on the buttons near the bottom of the display, it would act as if I had pressed the keys just above.

I could not find any mention of Screen Calibration in his manual, yet I saw a reference to it in one of the newer Firmware Upgrades. He sent the radio in a couple of months ago so it should have gotten some Firmware Upgrade. I am not sure which version of the Firmware he has.

He does not have the HP-22.

A.T. 08-31-2011 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: goldeagle hey my semi new aurora-9 is on its way,from a fellow rc'er.can you guys recc the first step to take besides reading the instructions!I am doing that already.I want to get the current updates for the radio and recievers optima-7 is this an easy process?also is there a need to install each update or can you go directly to the most recent? thanks all.
Aurora 9, Spectra AFHSSModule and Optima 7 &9 ch Transceivers can be upgraded or downgraded direct to various levels as permitted on the HPP-22 screen. However, to use Minima receivers, Module must be V3.01 or higher.

<font color="#22229c"><u>Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer</u></font> - Manual, FAQ - How to install &amp; Use Instructions <font size="1">(with screenshots)</font>.
For optimum performance use:
Current Aurora 9 firmware V1.08(1) 10 July 2011
Current Spectra 2.4Ghz Module firmware V3.01 18 April 2011
Current Optima 7 &amp; 9 Ch Transceiver Firmware firmware V2.01 31 July 2011

and more underHitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules &amp; Optima Transceivers
<span style="font-size: smaller">- FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}
</span>
Alan T.

A.T. 08-31-2011 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL:<span style="font-size: smaller">BuschBarber I was helping a fellow club member who is the only one in our club with the Aurora 9. I found that his Touch Screen seemed to be out of Calibration because when I pressed on the buttons near the bottom of the display, it would act as if I had pressed the keys just above.
I could not find any mention of Screen Calibration in his manual, yet I saw a reference to it in one of the newer Firmware Upgrades. He sent the radio in a couple of months ago so it should have gotten some Firmware Upgrade. I am not sure which version of the Firmware he has. He does not have the HP-22.
</span>
Aurora 9 - Touchscreen Pressure Sensitivity &amp;Re-Calibration

Alan T.

ZeekWorld 09-01-2011 04:40 AM

The manual is a good start.
There is some good info at aurora9.info including "how to's" videos, programming, upgrading firmware and others.

ORIGINAL: goldeagle

hey my semi new aurora-9 is on its way,from a fellow rc'er.can you guys recc the first step to take besides reading the instructions!I am doing that already.I want to get the current updates for the radio and recievers optima-7 is this an easy process?also is there a need to install each update or can you go directly to the most recent? thanks all.

vasek 09-01-2011 06:40 AM

Where would i find info on the best way to utilize a Spectra module telemetry (JR Tx) combined with the telemetry voice system.

Example of a setup: EDF 6s lipo and separate LiFe battery to power the servos (don't want tu use a BEC)

a) if i plug the LiFe in the Rx, i'll get the life status on the telemetry voice system, right?

b) if i plug the LiFe in any open ch (Optima 9), and plug the LiPo 6s directly to the SPC port (via a Y connector BEFORE the controller) i get the telemetry reading of the LiPo (that's what i want), right?

Would i risk any brownout issue with the b) setup? would it work?

Michel 09-01-2011 11:03 AM

Hi

Is the voice module out yet ?

Michel

vasek 09-01-2011 11:26 AM

no, TH shows late Sept.

I'm just trying to find out what it can do before i buy;)

A.T. 09-01-2011 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: vasek no, TH shows late Sept. I'm just trying to find out what it can do before i buy;)
This may assist:
"Here's a recent video from when Model Airplane News came to town and we went out and flew the new Multiplex Dog Fighter with the SS-Blue Telemetry and HTS-Voice. - Mike"
<font color="#22229c">http://www.modelairplanenews.com/videos/</font>

Alan T.

goldeagle 09-01-2011 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: goldeagle hey my semi new aurora-9 is on its way,from a fellow rc'er.can you guys recc the first step to take besides reading the instructions!I am doing that already.I want to get the current updates for the radio and recievers optima-7 is this an easy process?also is there a need to install each update or can you go directly to the most recent? thanks all.
Aurora 9, Spectra AFHSSModule and Optima 7 &amp;9 ch Transceivers can be upgraded or downgraded direct to various levels as permitted on the HPP-22 screen. However, to use Minima receivers, Module must be V3.01 or higher.

<font color="#22229c"><u>Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer</u></font> - Manual, FAQ - How to install &amp; Use Instructions <font size="1">(with screenshots)</font>.
For optimum performance use:
Current Aurora 9 firmware V1.08(1) 10 July 2011
Current Spectra 2.4Ghz Module firmware V3.01 18 April 2011
Current Optima 7 &amp; 9 Ch Transceiver Firmware firmware V2.01 31 July 2011

and more underHitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules &amp; Optima Transceivers
<span style="font-size: smaller">- FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}
</span>
Alan T.
thanks that helps alot,I will get the latest updates as soon as I can.thanks again!

Wayne Miller 09-05-2011 03:21 PM

Hi Mike,

A while ago, with post number 3748 in this thread, I posted a problem with the 72Mhz Spectra Pro module automatically switching between voltage, and graph, and beeping while doing so. You posted you would get one out of stock and check it out.

Can you update me with what you found? Thanks.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

boothg-3 09-07-2011 08:32 PM

thanks for the replies on the hpp-22 cable

Beej 09-07-2011 08:48 PM

I think I would be severely beaten by my Club members if I flew with the voice module on:) If it had an earphone jack that would be a whole lot better and I would love to get one. Does anyone know whether the module will let you plug in a an earphone? That would seem sensible........

cheers,

Beej

A.T. 09-08-2011 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Beej I think I would be severely beaten by my Club members if I flew with the voice module on:) If it had an earphone jack that would be a whole lot better and I would love to get one. Does anyone know whether the module will let you plug in a an earphone? That would seem sensible........
cheers, Beej
Yes it does:
<font color="#22229c"><u>Telemetry - HTS-Voice Telemetry</u></font> Voice Announcing System
<div id="main_text"><p class="MsoNoSpacing" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Designed to fit on the handle of all Hitec radios, this system audibly provides telemetry data via speakers or earphones.</p><ul>[*] <div class="MsoNoSpacing" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-family: "><font face="">Audible Telemetry Information Readout via Speaker or Earphone</font></span></div>[*] <div class="MsoNoSpacing" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-family: "><font face="">Selectable Information Readout</font></span></div>[*] <div class="MsoNoSpacing" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-family: "><font face="">Volume Adjustable</font></span></div>[*] <div class="MsoNoSpacing" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-family: "><font face="">3.5mm Earphone Port</font></span></div>[*] <div class="MsoNoSpacing" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face=""><span style="font-family: ">P</span><span style="font-family: ">ower LED Indicator</span></font></div>[*] <div class="MsoNoSpacing" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-family: "><font face="">Operates on 2 AAA Batteries</font></span></div>[*] <div class="MsoNoSpacing" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-family: "><font face="">Designed to fit with on Handle of all Hitec Radios
</font></span></div>[/list]</div>Alan T.

JIMF14D 09-08-2011 02:07 AM

If the sensor system had an integrated flight conditions module with speed, altitude and attitude the possiblities would be endless.

Can you imagine the fun with the system yelping: "Dear Pilot, do you know we are upside down at -70 degree pitch and 50kts and are going to hit the ground in 5,.....4, ....3.....seconds!"

Jim D

vasek 09-08-2011 05:01 AM

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D
... are going to hit the ground in 5,.....4, ....3.....seconds!''

Jim D

I vaguely remember once my ex saying that same thing [X(]:D

Beej 09-09-2011 04:11 AM

Hi All,

Very slightly off topic (forgive me..) but you are all Hitec experts. Have got 4 x new Hitec 7985MG V2 + 1x 7955TG + 1 x 7966HB installing into my Aeroworks YAK, and the A9 radio. Even when not under load (or even hooked up to a linkage) the 7985s click away constantly. The 7985MG is on the pull-pull rudder so at rest there is a very modest tension on it and it is really clicking away! I assume that the discrete clicking noise is these pretty high end digitals constantly trying to centre themselves? Especially the rudder servo since it has a tension on it at rest? Is this right? I read somewhere that this noise can be reduced by increasing the servo deadband slightly but is it really doing any harm? Does this mean the intrinsic servo resolution is greater than the signal being generated from the receiver?

Sorry..... so many questions!

best to everybody

Beej

zx32tt 09-09-2011 06:32 AM

Clicking? I've never had a Hitec digital servo click. All of my digitals have a hum or some might call it a whine. As long as the servo's are not jumping around, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)
zx32tt

bgw45 09-09-2011 01:41 PM

I have 7985s and 7955s in my AW Yak. Yes, they buzz/humm/click and it is all normal.

Zor 09-10-2011 05:21 AM

ORIGINAL: bgw45

I have 7985s and 7955s in my AW Yak. Yes, they buzz/humm/click and it is all normal.
Hi bgw45,

Do I understand from your writing that it is normal for these servos to keep "humming" ... "clicking" ... "buzzing" whatever the proper word might be.

If it is a matter of trying constantly to center themselves, I would check the electric current load they present to the battery supply.

Zor

Yank II 09-10-2011 11:24 AM

That is part of the reason digital servos require more power. Even the T-28 foamies use digital servos and they hum.

Bob Pastorello 09-10-2011 12:15 PM

The digitals are humming, or buzzing, or chattering, or clicking, or screeching at centers because the output shaft is constantly correcting for any force at all that it moving it off center, however slight. My Hitecs, 7955, 5955, 5985, etc. don't make any noise when they are just sitting, with no arm, or conrol rods attached. As soon as ANY weight is placed which is trying to move the output shaft, even just the weight of a pushrod, they'll start making the "centering noise".

In fact, one of the best ways to setup dual-servo ailerons is to hook both up, and at full deflection, adjust the EPAfor the one that is buzzing until it isn't. Same for centering tweaks. Amazing how easy that unexpected feature makes dual-servo setups.

I look at as a "benefit" now, because the noise is telltale of SOMETHING....

Beej 09-10-2011 04:07 PM

Thanks everybody - it seems the "consensus" is that the "clicking" on the 7955/7985s is an indicator of their sensitivity and centreing. Bob is right - even putting a control rod on them (unconnected) will make them start clicking. Good tip on the multiple servo aileron set up, thank you.

Zor, I have 2 x 2000mah 6V eneloops set up in parallel and this seems to get around the current draw issue of nimhs - the telemetry (on the ground) tells me that even working the sticks hard I'm getting solid voltage - not even dropping 0.1V.

best

Beej

bgw45 09-10-2011 04:32 PM

Good tip, Bob. Thanks

vasek 09-12-2011 10:16 AM

Guys, i need help.
When i connected the HPP-22 to my laptop, it automatically "installed" the software, it confirmed that that software was successfully installed but i couldn't find any shortcut to the program on my desktop. so i checked, and there's no hitecrcd on my laptop programs.

Did anyone had the same problem?

Is the program suppose to load automatically when the HPP-22 is connected? mine does nothing now [:@]

Thanks for helping,
V.

A.T. 09-12-2011 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: vasek Guys, i need help. When i connected the HPP-22 to my laptop, it automatically "installed" the software, it confirmed that that software was successfully installed but i couldn't find any shortcut to the program on my desktop. so i checked, and there's no hitecrcd on my laptop programs. Did anyone had the same problem? Is the program suppose to load automatically when the HPP-22 is connected? mine does nothing now
Thanks for helping, V.
What you witnessed was the same as when connecting a new brand of USB Flash drive, or other hardware toyour PC. The HPP-22 wasdetected as a new device and your PC installed the "mechanics" to accept and recognise the HPP-22 as a new device.

You must now download and install the software which provides your on screen information and connects to the Hitec download station:
Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to install &amp; Use Instructions <font size="1">(with screenshots)</font>.

Alan T.

Zor 09-12-2011 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Beej

Thanks everybody - it seems the "consensus" is that the "clicking" on the 7955/7985s is an indicator of their sensitivity and centreing. Bob is right - even putting a control rod on them (unconnected) will make them start clicking. Good tip on the multiple servo aileron set up, thank you.

Zor, I have 2 x 2000mah 6V eneloops set up in parallel and this seems to get around the current draw issue of nimhs - the telemetry (on the ground) tells me that even working the sticks hard I'm getting solid voltage - not even dropping 0.1V.

best

Beej
[/quote]

I have quite a few digital servos and none are buzzing at center.

I was not referring to the voltage.
I was suggesting to check the current drawn while buzzing.

No doubt you have the battery capacity if there is a constant abnomal current load at center.

I have not run into that buzzing situation here.
All is quiet until some surface actuation is applied.

Zor

BuschBarber 09-12-2011 06:09 PM

Many of the Digital servos that I and my fellow club members have Whine continuously, even at Neutral. This includes Hitec Digitals, Spektrum Digitals, and even higher end servos like JR 8711 Digitals. Analog servos tend to Buzz when they Stall or sometimes when they are sitting at Neutral. Usually, a flick of the stick and it goes away.

It is nothing to be concerned about as long as the Control Surface they are driving is moving smoothly and is not binding.

Zor 09-14-2011 06:29 AM

Hello all readers,

Concerning buzzing servos, I still think it is not normal for servos to buzz when the transmitter is not asking them to rotate to a new position.

The many servos I have here do not do that and they are digital servos.

There has to be a reason and I think buzzing servos are drawing higher current than they should thus draining the battery(ies) unnecessarily.

If anyone accepts this condition as normal, there is no incentive to find the reason.

I can think of some reasons for this situation which I think is not normal.

If anyone has that buzzing, at least disconnect the linkage at the servo arm and see if it still buzz.
If it does not then you know where to look for a remedy.

If anyone is convinced I am the one that is wrong then they can explain why I do not have any buzzing servos while they respond nicely to the transmitter commands.

Regards to all . . .

Zor

zx32tt 09-14-2011 08:34 AM

Zor, are you saying your digital servo's are dead silent when at rest? Dead silent as in NO SOUND AT ALL.

Yank II 09-14-2011 12:27 PM

Zor is a trouble maker on other sites. It won't be long and he will be band from this one.

Bob Pastorello 09-14-2011 04:23 PM

The FACT is that lots and lots of very well-qualified persons have explained the "buzz", as well as the reasons that it is "normal" with digital servos. Probably we should all just get back to the thread topic, anyway.

Perhaps others, who have not searched the forums, may feel compelled to start a thread inquiring about the digital servo behavior at center when "loaded", as in "with an weight attempting to pull it off center". I think most would consider this equusdeceased and adequately flogged.

Michel 09-14-2011 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Wayne Miller

Hi Mike,

A while ago, with post number 3748 in this thread, I posted a problem with the 72Mhz Spectra Pro module automatically switching between voltage, and graph, and beeping while doing so. You posted you would get one out of stock and check it out.

Can you update me with what you found? Thanks.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Hi

Great idea Bob , I personally agree 1000 % .

I,m personally interested in this particular question . Sure hope we get an answer soon .

Michel

Zor 09-14-2011 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: zx32tt

Zor, are you saying your digital servo's are dead silent when at rest? Dead silent as in NO SOUND AT ALL.
Yes zx32tt.

I am saying that my digital servos are "dead silent" in neutral (centered) position and when actuated and the transmitter stick is back to neutral by its own spring return the sevos again are "dead silent".

There is no sound at all.

I do not care how many experts or referred to as experts may claim it is normal to have buzzing.
I do not have any noise whatsoever when the servos are neutral or have reached their position anywhere in their travel.

I think that is the way it should be and that is the way it is here.

Enough said.

Best regards to all readers.

Zor

BuschBarber 09-14-2011 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: zx32tt

Yes zx32tt.

I am saying that my digital servos are ''dead silent'' in neutral (centered) position and when actuated and the transmitter stick is back to neutral by its own spring return the sevos again are ''dead silent''.

There is no sound at all.

I do not care how many experts or referred to as experts may claim it is normal to have buzzing.
I do not have any noise whatsoever when the servos are neutral or have reached their position anywhere in their travel.

I think that is the way it should be and that is the way it is here.

Enough said.

Best regards to all readers.

Zor

You are certainly the Exception rather than the Norm. You are less likely to hear the Whining, from Digital servos, in smaller aircraft, with smaller Digital servos. There are many different types of Digital servos from many different manufacturers and each behave differently when it comes to Whining.

It is very common, in aircraft with Pull Pull Rudder linkages, where the servo arm is under tension all the time, even at Neutral.

Most people do not worry about it if the control surface is not Binding. When you have Giant Scale and Giant Aerobatic aircraft, it is very common.

Zor 09-14-2011 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Yank II

My only concern with LiPo's is they only like to be at the Storage rate for any length of time. If I leave A LiPo at full charge it will puff up after two days.
Looks like you are the only one with this situation.

Zor

Edited to change siruation to situation.
End

Zor 09-14-2011 08:39 PM

<span style="color: #ff0000">Red inserts by Zor</span>

= BuschBarber

You are certainly the Exception rather than the Norm.

<font color="#ff0000">Because many may have that problem does not make it "normal". </font>

You are less likely to hear the Whining, from Digital servos, in smaller aircraft, with smaller Digital servos. There are many different types of Digital servos from many different manufacturers and each behave differently when it comes to Whining.

<u><span style="color: #ff0000">each behave differently</span></u><span style="color: #ff0000"> I can understand.Many of my servos are "so called" regular size. I also have some smaller servos and they do not hum.
</span>
It is very common, in aircraft with Pull Pull Rudder linkages, where the servo arm is under tension all the time, even at Neutral.

<span style="color: #ff0000">In Pull Pull installation the tension in neutral is equal on both side and the pressure is on the servo output shaft bearing(s) . There is no reason for the tensions to try to turn (rotate) the servo and have it keep humming trying to find its center. </span>

Most people do not worry about it if the control surface is not Binding. When you have Giant Scale and Giant Aerobatic aircraft, it is very common.
What is "very common" is not necessarily correct.

I have not seen any posting saying that their servo or servos are humming when disconnected from their linkage. A suggestion I wrote to check.

All my control surfaces are hinged such that they fall to their mechanical limits by their own weight when not connected to their linkage.

An elevator 20 inch wingspan and averaging 3 inch chord made of 1/4 inch thick frame and covered with two layers of 1/16 inch balsafor a total thickness of 3/8 inch plus the fabric and the dope finish does notprovide enough weight to make the servo buzz.

Let us just saythat I am "lucky"http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif __ http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif but I thinkthat is normal.

Zor

BuschBarber 09-14-2011 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Zor

<span style=''color: #ff0000''>Red inserts by Zor</span>

= BuschBarber

You are certainly the Exception rather than the Norm.

<font color=''#ff0000''>Because many may have that problem does not make it ''normal''. </font>

You are less likely to hear the Whining, from Digital servos, in smaller aircraft, with smaller Digital servos. There are many different types of Digital servos from many different manufacturers and each behave differently when it comes to Whining.

<u><span style=''color: #ff0000''>each behave differently</span></u><span style=''color: #ff0000''> I can understand. Many of my servos are ''so called'' regular size. I also have some smaller servos and they do not hum.
</span>

<span style=''color: #ff0000''>In Pull Pull installation the tension in neutral is equal on both side and the pressure is on the servo output shaft bearing(s) . There is no reason for the tensions to try to turn (rotate) the servo and have it keep humming trying to find its center. </span>

What is ''very common'' is not necessarily correct.

I have not seen any posting saying that their servo or servos are humming when disconnected from their linkage. A suggestion I wrote to check.

All my control surfaces are hinged such that they fall to their mechanical limits by their own weight when not connected to their linkage.

An elevator 20 inch wingspan and averaging 3 inch chord made of 1/4 inch thick frame and covered with two layers of 1/16 inch balsa for a total thickness of 3/8 inch plus the fabric and the dope finish does not provide enough weight to make the servo buzz.

Let us just say that I am ''lucky'' [img][/img] _ _ [img][/img] but I think that is normal.

Zor

You haven't mentioned what manufacturer and model servos you have.

After years of using Digital servos, I can tell you that the Whining is common and of little concern.

In the case of the Pull Pull system, when the cables are directly connected to the servo arm, there may be equal tension on each side of the servo arm, but there is always considerable tension on the Output Shaft.

bgw45 09-15-2011 04:31 AM

discussion with a @**% produces no results.