RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/8515737-new-hitec-aurora-9-channel-2-4ghz-radio-system.html)

bgw45 08-06-2011 06:00 AM

RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

We are all bozos on this bus. :D

WILDCRASHWILLY 08-06-2011 10:50 AM

Alan T,

Success, thanks for the info. It uninstalled successfully and I reinstalled the 1.10. still get a, (comdlg32.ocx or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing), statement upon install but it does not seem to affect the upgrades as I have already upgraded the A9 to v1.08(1), The Module to v3.01, and plan to pack planes in and out of the house this afternoon until I get all the Rx's updated to v2.01. If all goes well, I should be back in the air tomorrow. Rain and wind here today.

Again Thanks AT, your posts are always very informative.

WILDCRASHWILLY 08-07-2011 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well Folks,

I may never know why I lost the signal to the plane. I did find two issues that could have contributed, but, upon wiggle testing neither one of the two produced a glitch or power failure. One was a melted connector, that could have happened from my quick charger which I have expressed doubts about in previous post. But also, I may have gotten it a little too hot when putting shrink wrap around the connector. The other was the connector from the switch did not have as tight a fit in the Rx as I would like to see. One of the terminals in the connector fit quite loose really but when wiggled, it did not break contact. I have updated all the radio equipment with the latest Hitec updates. Spent some time double checking connectors in my other planes. All seem to be working well at this point. One thing I have not mentioned, about 1000 yards from the airfield resides a Television Tower. but it has created no issues in the past. Could be a first time though. Also, at the time of the loss of radio signal, there was a Thunder Storm about 40 miles to the west of my location. In fact by the time I found the carnage, got back to the pits and loaded planes in the trailer, (about an hour), the rain, wind, and lightning began to arrive.

I'm out of ideas, so at this point I'll just except it at face value and return to flying. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield. I was the bug this time.[&o]

Pics of the terminals and carnage below.

boothg-3 08-07-2011 01:37 PM

Bill

you may very well have found your issue, in the last 4 years i have purchased a number of 5 cell nimh,s and three of those packs had bad connectors , loose to the point of losing connection ,fortunately i run two batteries on all of my gassers and found the issue when testing each battery before flight
Mike ,continue onward , very pleased with my A9 one of the first systems sold and still no issues , and i still have not updated the system, so i dont put any stock into those that say there is a software issue. system is solid

Michel 08-08-2011 05:40 PM

Hi
I am presently finishng up a TopFlite Elder 40 . It will have a Saito 56 as a power plant . It will also be inverted and I want to install an on board digital glow driver . As for the connections , no problem . It,s the programming that has me puzzeled .

I want to connect it to my throttle channel , useing a aux channel #6 , programming it with the throttle . I would like it to work at idle up to 1/4 throttle , no switch involved . I have attempted several times and without much succes .

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks for looking in

Michel

WILDCRASHWILLY 08-08-2011 05:58 PM

Michel,

I'm trying to think. I have my timers set so that they come on only after I hit about 7% throttle or more. It seems like you may be able to set a Pmix to have your Aux channel energized when below 25% throttle only. Not sure I'll have to play with my radio and experiment. Hopefully that may give you some ideas.

4*60 08-08-2011 06:34 PM

Doesn't your onboard "digital" driver have an adjustment like mine do so that you set them when to go on and off?? Just turn the small dial . Or a "set" button on a Y or a cahnnel directly mixed to throttle.

Michel 08-09-2011 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: 4*60

Doesn't your onboard ''digital'' driver have an adjustment like mine do so that you set them when to go on and off?? Just turn the small dial . Or a ''set'' button on a Y or a cahnnel directly mixed to throttle.

Hi

4*60 ,........... I think youre right . I was thinking about that after I posted . I will find the instructions . It,s been so long , I truely do forget . And , yes there is a , " SET " , button on it

I,ll be back

Thanks guys

Michel

JIMF14D 08-09-2011 03:18 AM

You probably should stick with something other than A9. You already know everthing so hard for guys like you to move on to new technology.

I have never seen Mayberry bash another brand. He pretty much stresses the facts about Hitec stuff.

Aurora 9 problem free here 1for 18 months and hundred of flights!

Jim D

boothg-3 08-09-2011 12:24 PM

Wayne Miller
your battery status may be set up to switch and beep by the factory , 72mhz requires more current to transmit than 2.4 ghz
so they may have it set so you check you battery level more frequently since the A9 uses a 6 cell battery

Michel 08-09-2011 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

You probably should stick with something other than A9. You already know everthing so hard for guys like you to move on to new technology.

I have never seen Mayberry bash another brand. He pretty much stresses the facts about Hitec stuff.

Aurora 9 problem free here 1for 18 months and hundred of flights!

Jim D

Hi Jim

Was this answer for me ? and my question ?

Michel

JIMF14D 08-09-2011 02:14 PM

No Mike, if I sent it to you Iapologize.
Jim D

AJsToyz 08-09-2011 02:17 PM

Mike,

That was for a post about a day or so ago, the guy was totally ripping Hitec about he was glad they were not the Pioneers. Well I think Futaba had they're hands in 2.4 for a few years before they entered the RC hobby game and they still had glitches. Two I can think of was the high end receivers over heating or just not handling heat well. Lets not forget the ID code thing that could put multiple radio's on the same channels, but I guess these were not problems? Brown outs from Spek aren't or weren't a problem nor were fraid wires by Spek and Airtronics? I guess if you go to the Horizon service bulletins none of these are problems either.

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't have a problem with any of the companies as long as they are willing to fix the problems. I just happen to like the Aurora 9 the best. :D

Andy

Michel 08-09-2011 02:19 PM

Hi Jim

Sometimes I,m my worst own enemy , thanks for the reply

Michel

JIMF14D 08-09-2011 02:26 PM

With regard to RC Ihave found my thumbs are my worst enemy..:)

Michel 08-09-2011 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Doesn't your onboard ''digital'' driver have an adjustment like mine do so that you set them when to go on and off?? Just turn the small dial . Or a ''set'' button on a Y or a cahnnel directly mixed to throttle.

Hi

4*60 ,........... I think youre right . I was thinking about that after I posted . I will find the instructions . It,s been so long , I truely do forget . And , yes there is a , '' SET '' , button on it

I,ll be back

Thanks guys

Michel
Hi

Yep ,.............. I made it more complicated than it was , read the instructions , added channel #6 to throttle , put the throttle at 1/4 and vola , .................. problem solved .

Thanks guys
Michel

Wayne Miller 08-10-2011 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: boothg-3

Wayne Miller
your battery status may be set up to switch and beep by the factory , 72mhz requires more current to transmit than 2.4 ghz
so they may have it set so you check you battery level more frequently since the A9 uses a 6 cell battery

Hi Boothg-3,

Mike M said he will check it out and get back to us when he gets his hands on a Spectra Pro module. I'm hoping it will be a simple softeware fix, or he can find a method to turn it off. It is annoying and I hope it has not been done on purpose by the factory.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

WILDCRASHWILLY 08-15-2011 06:31 AM

Well guys,

I did not fly this week end due to weather and other interuptions. However, I took my Tx and another plane equipped with an Optima 9 this time. I did a range check with the TX on power down. I walked 310 feet before loosing signal to the plane. I walked back about three feet and the plane reaquired the signal before the 90 seconds expired and the TX went to full power again.
I don't know what anyone else is seeing as the max distance on power down but, I felt this was pretty good.

JIMF14D 08-15-2011 07:21 AM

Ihave two A9s and a mix of ten Rxs in 6, 7 and 9 channel versions. Started flying the A9 in March 2010.

No problem getting 100 paces range check on power down.

Flys to the range of my eyeballs on lots of different type models, electric and 4 stroke.

Ieven had one of the original March 2010 Rxs where the little BODA antenna wire was not well supported where it went into the BODA body. A few times my plane would fly well but not taxi back from the far end the runway. Range check at the field with the plane on a safety table was always good. After more than 150 flightswith no problems Inoticed one day that the little wire had fallen off. So Ihad made only God knows how many perfect flights with part of the antenna missing.

Hitec improved the BODA assembly early on but Iforgot to put the recommended silicon fillet on the old one Ihad. They gave me a free new antenna for the one that lost the "stinger"!

So the link is good for sure!

Enjoy,
Jim D

Ken Sawyer 08-16-2011 08:29 AM

Need help. Can't seem to properly print manuals from Hitec's website. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Sawyer

JIMF14D 08-16-2011 08:50 AM

Cannot print or cannot download? If you send me your e-mail Ican send you searchable A9 manual etc.

Jim D.

Michel 08-16-2011 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Ken Sawyer

Need help. Can't seem to properly print manuals from Hitec's website. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Sawyer
Hi Ken

Take the download from Jim ,................................ it works great

Michel

Ken Sawyer 08-17-2011 01:00 AM

Should've been clearer. I downloaded the latest manual on Optima receivers and was trying to print a copy for my files. When I print the " middle " section does not print. I don't know if anyone else has the same problem. Are these docs formatted differently ? Thanks again.

Ken Sawyer

A.T. 08-17-2011 02:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Ken Sawyer Should've been clearer. I downloaded the latest manual on Optima receivers and was trying to print a copy for my files. When I print the " middle " section does not print. I don't know if anyone else has the same problem. Are these docs formatted differently ? Thanks again.
Ken Sawyer
Set printer to A3, not A4, size paper for good copies of the Optima and similar online manuals.
In need, if home printeris limited to A4 &A5 sizes only, copy to USBand print via photocopier at local printer/library/stationery shop.

Alan T.

4*60 08-17-2011 01:09 PM

Or try "shrink page to fit"...something like that. Perhaps.

Ken Sawyer 08-18-2011 01:06 AM

Thanks Alan. My printer doesn't have A3, so the wife said she would try at work today.
Thanks again.

Ken

goldeagle 08-21-2011 08:01 PM

OK,Im going with the AURORA-9 been out the rc fun for a while but I am back and wanted to know where can I get the best deal on the TX an RX ?all help is appreciated,thanks

42etus 08-21-2011 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: goldeagle

OK,Im going with the AURORA-9 been out the rc fun for a while but I am back and wanted to know where can I get the best deal on the TX an RX ?all help is appreciated,thanks
Try Tom's RC

http://shop.tomsrc.com/index.php

Yank II 08-22-2011 12:04 AM

Try this

http://www.servocity.com/html/aurora_9_systems.html

goldeagle 08-22-2011 02:55 AM

thank you

JIMF14D 08-22-2011 04:10 AM

Try A Main Hobbies on the net too! Sometimes free shipping and if you look on the net you may find $25 off coupon numbers for orders over $250. Also Todd's Models online.

Good luck.

Jim D.

A.T. 08-23-2011 03:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<div class="smallfont">HPP-22 - Upgrade V1.11(0) now online - for Hitec HTS-SS Blue
__________________________________________________ _

<div id="post_message_19120814">Please refer to attached sequence of screen shots and pdf for full detail.
Start existing HPP_22 program and attach unit to bring up screens as pictured.
1. Uninstall old HPP-2 program via Start menu as pictured #3.
2. Install new program

Release of HTS-SS Blue is imminent.

Alan T.
<font color="#22229c">Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links</font></div>

</div>

paul7194 08-23-2011 08:59 AM

Well I have been using my A9 and and 5 receivers almost since they hit the market. I have not had a single blip of any kind. I did do the first update that came out and today I did the most recent updates on the radio, module and all my recievers. Updating is so easy and when your done you have the latest and greatest. By the way I also use opti kill switches and have never had a problem. I do the normal proceedures to keep high voltage away from my recievers though.
I seldom post but just want to state my experience and thank Mike and A.T.for all the work they do to make sure we are up to date on this equipment.

boothg-3 08-29-2011 08:12 PM

HPP-22 question , any recommendations on the USB A to USB MINI B cable , does it need to be 3 foot or less as the instructions recommend , i have found many that are 6 to 6.5 feet long , thanks for any info

4*60 08-29-2011 09:48 PM

I don't think a few feet would matter but go to monoprice A dot com online retailer and for under a dollar each plus a couple dollars shipping you can get you and your buddies proper cables

So really for much less than a dollar Hitec left it out. That is pretty sad..

A.T. 08-30-2011 03:22 AM

ORIGINAL: boothg-3 HPP-22 question , any recommendations on the USB A to USB MINI B cable , does it need to be 3 foot or less as the instructions recommend , i have found many that are 6 to 6.5 feet long , thanks for any info

ORIGINAL: 4*60 I don't think a few feet would matter but go to monoprice A dot com online retailer and for under a dollar each plus a couple dollars shipping you can get you and your buddies proper cables
So really for much less than a dollar Hitec left it out. That is pretty sad..
I believe opinion will vary. Whilst not a "greenie",USB cables of all types, especially these mini type,have been supplied with various other devices e.g. USB HDD, external ports, cameras, satellite receivers, media players and other gadgets for way to long.
Being left outnot only saves on package size &amp; cost, it savesadditional clutterin many user****wers &amp; boxes which are alreadycrammed full of spare computer, TV, radio&amp;telephone leads. (including mine - already had x7)
As always, the shorter the cable between any PC and a USB device the better, thisas there is less resistance.

Alan T.

4*60 08-31-2011 02:35 AM

Baloney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BuschBarber 08-31-2011 05:40 AM

Baloney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have always read that USB cables have limits on how long they can be before the signal degrades.

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5

JIMF14D 08-31-2011 10:32 AM

Over the last few years Ihave accumulated at least 6 around my house! A three foot one works fine with HP-22.

WILDCRASHWILLY 08-31-2011 03:59 PM

I had a three foot one that came with my camera and it worked fine on the HPP 22.