Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Official Smartech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:44 PM
NightHawk18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Smartech Thread

so i just got a smartech ftom my buddy who had lost alot of parts for it and destroyed the gears, so i used servos off my cen and other misc stuff off my old cars and i somehow built a gear box,

my question is what are the factory settings for the engine. most are like 3 1/2 out for the high end but i have no idea on this car.

also i have no low end idle needle...its just gone there is the hole for it but that's it or its the one that should have the spring around it.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:21 AM
Hibityhupla!

the stock engines are nothing to write home about..lol You would be better off getting an OS 18cv-rx or something better. Save yourself a lot of hassle.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:54 AM
rp11112

I have a rapid VH-A6, I think it is related of made by the same company. It has a purp head and the engine jut says .18. It uses all the same parts as those but it has a 2 speed transmission. What 18 engine will work for it with the stock 2 speed cutch and transmission. it uses the same two speed transmission and clutch as the smar tech speedy tiger. I think it is a offshoot of smartech called FMT world racing, http://www.rccarmax.com/index.php?cP...sort=2a&page=2. What .18 size engines will work with this clutch system and tranmission?
Here is a site with picks of what it looks like: http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/20...le16497411.htm Also this model came with metal clutch shoes. i think this is almost the same car as the smartech winner 1. Does anyone know where to get the replacment carb for the .18 engine?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
benk

most .18 size engines will fit with the standard clutch system. The easiest way to find a carby for the engine is to measure the throat of the carby where it goes into the engine and match one up with the same size
Old 12-04-2008, 12:04 PM
rp11112

I ended up getting a O.S. .18 cvrx with slide carb. Should be here today. I got a fail safe, hpi tuned pipe,integy intake and new tires for it also. i will update on how it works out.

Can anyone confirm that smartech is somehow related to FMT worldracing?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 PM
rp11112

Well i got the engine installed and everything. Had it broken in and runing good. I was doing a straightaway topping it out and the clutch shoes and clutch bellcompletely BLEW UP. half of the clutch bell that covers the shoes broke off. Shows the power and torque of the engine.

Anyone have any recommendations for a new clutch bell and shoes?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Hibityhupla!

they have a hpi threaded 2speed bell and gears that works great and that way you can chose the gearing you want. just remember to keep the 5 tooth difference from first to second gear.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 AM
insomnia1

hi all
i have a small carb problem that maybe one of you guys can help me with[:@].i have a smt.18 ( that's the all silver smartech .18 engine).i could never get the temp under 250+.... no matter what i did.anyways i converted it to a bump start with hpi three shoe clutch and hpi 2 speed pinion gears. i was gonna drag race it in BRACKET CLASS
i lost my notes with the base screw settings for the smartech carb and can't find it anywhere on the internet[].does anyone have this engine and know the base settings?
has anyone tried a OS carb?
it has the silver head.says SMT on one side and 18 on the other side.i wanna give it one more try(tuning) before i switch to my .18crv or shoehorn a .18tz
thanks
clint
hemansrcclub
Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Hibityhupla!

that 18tz will smoke that stock one. I went through 2 of the stock engines, both ran good at different settings.....strange i know... I think the one on the side was flush with the rotary arm and the fuel was 2- 2.5 turns out.. I might be wrong so note what you have now.....its been a while

the odd ball one i had was a blue top smartech engine....always ran hot (250-300) but ran great that way. that one the fuel needle was at 1.5 turns out. I tried to change it but every time i did it ran like crap or was hard to start. After that one i said screw it and put the trx3.3 in there. lol
Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 PM
insomnia1

thank for the carb info.i'll try your setting before i switch carb or put the .18cvr back in.
the silver head .18 was the same way. ran so hot it was scary[X(].then when you tried to richen it up or switch to a colder plug it ran like crap and was hard restarting.
the .18tz was just a thought.it has a centrifugal clutch with changeable pinion gears.it would work...... but it'll destroy alot of trans gears []
been thinking about switching to the a transmission that can handle all that juice.one of the rs4's i think will work.you can still get the gears from tower for $2-$4 .sure beats the hard to get and weaker smartech $8-$12 gears
clint
hemansrcclub
Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Hibityhupla!

I ended up throwing a single speed in mine. after burning up second gear a dozen times i got tired of taking the tranny out. haven't had another stripped gear since and with the 3.3 i can still hit 40mph no problem...fast enough for my dink around car.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
insomnia1

been there also.
the smartech cars are good cheap fun.it was the first rc car i bought 5 yrs ago and still going strong.replace the bad pinion gear and the weak tranny and you're good to go.
i got the tranny idea from our walbern dragster.we have four expensive cars and a ton of spare parts so i've been experimenting some.the walbern cars have centrifugal clutches and hpi trannies (nitro rs4 3 evo).
we run abmods drag modified engines on 50% nitro on these trannies and have never stripped a gear.i did a quick dry fit and a couple of little snags with the tranny conversion was the center dog bone length also the tranny has to be the cup version( not belt).one thing i DIDN"T check was the tranny rotation.it might have been opposite..i can't remember.....minor problems
i know this is overkill but right now i'm working on putting a hpi r40 clutch on a short/standard shaft engine to go with the hpi tranny.i'm just waiting on a weird size bearing that hpi uses.it's coming with a bunch of ceramics from the philiphines.
if i get it done in time my niece will drag race it this year.
if the engine/tranny/clutch change works...the car SHOULD hit 60+ easy
clint
hemansrcclub
Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Hibityhupla!

I think i got 50mph out of mine with the 3.3 and 2 speed. Gearing ended up being the biggest issue. redcat racing makes smaller transmission gears and hpi had that 2speed bell that had 1 tooth bigger gears for it. After that i was lost. I would kinda like to do a brushless conversion in one of these. The biggest thing with top speed is rpm's and those brushless motors smoke the nitro ones. a $500 os engine has 44000rpms and the traxxas brushless gets 50000rpm's for $170 for the whole kit. Im sure there is alot better motors then what traxxas makes too. I did put that traxxas set in a cheap ep car that had 1m gearing and a 8.01/1 ratio and still hit 50mph. Made me re-think nitro after getting 50mph with a single speed versus that 3.3 in my smartech with a 2speed...and no tuning issues, mess or noise..lol Still like nitro for playing/bashing but i'm doing much better at top speed runs with brushless.

side note i did get a chance to try rockets on the back of my smartech..had a couple flaws tough. The primary rocket fired fine and the car hit 60mph no problem, but when i hit the secondary rockets only the right side fired and sent it into the ditch at top speed..lol Second attempt went worse after getting the car fixed.....hit a water puddle..lost traction and the water touched the switches and made the rockets fire in a full spin.....after putting the car back together again i decided to put it back to stock..lol................maybe next time...........got most of it on a dvd camera...camera man wasn't the greatest though...ill post it when i figure out how....not a big computer guy
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
insomnia1

this is getting REAL scarry[X(].you think like i do....AND you're two steps ahead of me.i choose the r40 setup because of the gearing ease.with like 10 different pinion gears plus god only knows how many different combo/ratios you can customize.best part is each gear costs less than $4 on tower.we use those cheap gears on our mugen and hpi trannys.
we never tried brushless on a smartech...but we did do the rockets.twin two stage setup.in fact i started with a smartech car and switched the setup to a bolink electric funny car with a hpi grave robber body.the body was cut to look like a pro mod rocket car.it has twin D-12 in front and twin D-12-0 glider rockets for the second stage
i switched to the very light bolink chassis and went twin two stage because i thought the smartech was too heavy for the rocket thrust.after hearing about your car i think i was grossly wrong about the weight
did you use C or D for your two stage setup?
i'm scared now[X(]...i think i might kill some one with my setup[X(]
clint
hemansrcclub
ps we might have to move these posts to the rockets forum.LOL...LOL
Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Hibityhupla!

D size for both runs...couldn't find any bigger....i had a single rocket primary and 2 secondary ones...the one was more then enough....when the 2 fired all you could do is get out of the way..lol

what kind of switches are you using....i had my primary switch mounted behind the throttle servo so at 70% throttle it would fire...the secondary was a little different...had changed to a 3ch system and mounted another servo and switch in the car...for a power source for the ignition i used a 4cell receiver pack and mounted it in the front bumper....to hold the rockets i had re-made the rear shock tower out of carbon fiber and mounted 3 tubes in it....if i can find a pic i post it..give me a few
Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Hibityhupla!

here's a few things i've done with these cars...my next attempt will be the brushless swap..i think i can use most of the revo conversion to do it..ill let you know how it goes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87139.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	1127949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22192.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	629.6 KB
ID:	1127950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38281.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	1127951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81641.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	638.7 KB
ID:	1127952  
Old 02-05-2009, 02:20 AM
Hibityhupla!

sorry about picture size...couldnt fix it...not sure what happened
Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 AM
insomnia1

two channel AM transmitter.it has a 4cell reciever pack for the front servo and reciever and a seperate 9v batt for ignition.there's an illuminated on/off switch for the igniters as a safety feature.i use a single servo and a micro switch.it sounds crazy and i guess you'll have to see it to believe it but a single futaba3003 servo ignites the rockets,deploys the parachute AND controlls the independent rear disc brakes.OH!!did i mention the parachute and independent rear brakes???.
it's 3.00am eastern here i'll take a pic later.the tricky part was how to bend the linkage and have the one servo do three independent functions....it took days to figure it out.i did a table top test and it works..(on a coffee table at least)
if i remember right i calculated the total thrush at like 5 or 6 lbs with a total of 5 seconds burn time.kinda sounds like i know my rocket shi* doesn't it?
thank god we never fired it up.someone probably would've gotten hurt.plus we never did find a parking lot big enough to test fire.
my nephew crashed both his funny cars at englishtown nj so we ended up canabalizing the car for parts.i'll post pics in the afternoon
after seeing your setup i'm thinking about putting everything BACK in the smartech and switching to A or B rockets...maybe just two C's
BUT first i better talk to some of these rocket guys....i ain't got no insurance!!!LOL
clint
hemansrcclub
your brushless project sounds interesting.i'm trying to figure in my head how you're gonna do it .rear wheel direct drive? single speed? two speed modified tranny?.. should be something!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Hibityhupla!

we actually did our run on an old track around a football field. That 100 yards still goes quick..lol You might be better off finding an empty stretch of highway..little wider then the track we used and unlimited distance to run. If the car would have held straight 100 yards wouldn't have been enough... I kinda live in the middle of nowhere so i have lots of open road hardly ever used.

I'm actually thinking about robbing most of a revo brushless conversion for the ep car project. It has an adapter that actually allows you to use the stock clutch and all. I will probably have to make a motor mount though. have to mount the steering servo where gas tank is and see if there is room for a 3s-4s lipo on the drivers side of the car. Kinda want to try it with the 2 speed to start. I know the gears wont last but i havent seen a 2speed ep car. sounds like it will be some work... just started playing with a rc18r so it will probably be a couple months before the wife lets me get another car..lol
Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 PM
insomnia1

that's funny
the wives and girlfriends just don't get it.grown men playing with cars.i'm in the tristate NY area. there's very few places to test a rocket car.the safest place is floyd bennet field.a hassle to drive to.
i've got about six weeks to finish the smartech stuff.then i gotta go back to the drag cars.
i just got back four repinched p/s from rayaracing and a bunch of ceramic bearings to put in.
here are the pics of the rocket funny car.
on the smartech car i like your way better.easier,cleaner.cheaper my way was too time consuming.i was gonna cut the upper plate just behind the steering servo. yank out the engine and rear diff.leaving just the upper and lower a-arms with the wheels.once i got the rockets placed either side by side or piggy back. i would've built some kind of support for the a-arms and wheels. the trans would be left in for front wheel brakes.
here's a couple of pics of the .18 hpi converted to bump start.it has the hpi pinion with aluminum three shoe clutch
good luck with the revo
clint
hemansrcclub

Name:	Nl29861.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1128319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47953.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1128320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82784.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1128321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23836.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1128322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj63740.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1128323  
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Dkishton1486

Hey guys I am turning my 1/10 scale 4wd on road car into a 4wd off road truck and I ran into a problem. I have encountered a problem with the new tires I put on some Traxxas Slash 2.2 tires and the front right tire wont go on with the exhaust pipe there. Is there anyway to move the exhaust pipe or do something with it?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM
insomnia1

how much clearance do you need?
a pic would show how bad your problem is, but if that's not possible this should point you down the right road.
the CHEAP/QUICK solution to your problem might be in last my post.look at the first two pictures .that's a smartech .18 with the smartech header and tuned pipe.do you have this setup?
i had the EXACT SAME problem after all the mods on two cars.notice how i cut about an inch off the header.
iif you have the old style header then you can't cut it much.you'll have to change header like i had to on the second car....and maybe tuned pipe....it could get expensive.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTLW4&P=SM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBTB5&P=SM

those 2.2 tires can get pretty big so i hope this helps.if not email Hibityhupla!.he's doing a brushless version of your conversion
clint
hemansrcclub

Name:	Ou49952.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1132179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48755.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1132180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87614.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1132181  
Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Dkishton1486

Yes I have your setup.. I probably need 1-2" more space I need it cut back. So if I just buy them headers I can cut them right?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM
insomnia1

almost forgot!
if you go with the header change.my first pick is the associated.it has more options than the smartech or hpi headers.it's setback to begin with..AND you can still cut the hell out of it..AND you can bend it inwards for more clearance
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTLW4&P=SM
clint
hemansrcclub
Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Dkishton1486

ok well I just ordered the associated from tower hobbies so when that gets in ill hopefully get my car/truck done too bad all the snow is melted now .. I just got new tires and just ordered a set of snow chains lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.