Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

My InfernoGT make it better thread(picts)

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

My InfernoGT make it better thread(picts)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 PM
losifiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My InfernoGT make it better thread(picts)

Well for those of you who have never had the honer of experiencing the torque and power of the Mach 427 cc, its an awsome and amazingly easy to tune engine. I bought my LSt2 in February as my first nitro RC and was impressed by the motor right from the beginning.

I have a brand new LRP SpecIII(Truggy) motor but I didnt want to get a starter box so I got a Mach instead . Since I allready have the roto starter for the LST2 I figured what the hell!.....on to the pictures!!!

Its aparent to see why the Mach is so consistant with temperatures and isnt so finiky. Look at the difference in the cooling head!!

Here is how it sits in the car. I'm going to use the Losi HT pipe as well as it has been found to be the ultimate pipe for the 427. I got them both off of ebay for $137 shipped.

Here is modifications that I had to do to get the Kyosho motor mounts to fit. I had to chop the bottom of the back plate and bevel it a bit. Fits like a glove!!

Here is the money shot! No starter box or yanking on a cord for me, thank you. Roto Starter baby!!!

Still waiting on an LST2 flywheel and clutch setup to come in so that I can complete the car. I will also be installing JR 270 and 590 servos and LST2 fuel filter. I have allready installed a 5 cell 2000mah battery pack.

Ok so here is my thoughts behind this build, on a single speed the 427 pushes the RTR losi 8ight buggy to 49MPH with a 14 tooth pinion on the clutch bell. Stock, the Ferrari was radared at 50 MPH by RC Driver magazine(this months issue). With the 2 speed I expect this thing to get nearly 55-60MPH after a good break in and tune. If not, I'm going to do a center diff conversion and gearing up to an 18 or even 20 pinion.

I'll keep this thread updated.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My InfernoGT make it better thread(picts)

i have the 427 motor in one of my inferno gt's with a single speed convertion useing a revo spur gear.........hell yea its runs hard.....i converted mine to bump start tho

also dont do the center diff thing........keep the 2speed and use the 2 HPI pinion gears and there threaded clutch bell..............TRUST ME THAT THING IS GOING TO HAL ASS

also cheak ur fuel tank the stock inferno gt ones suck BIG TIME......i replaced my with a tank from a kyosho ST_R truggy its a dirrect fit and gave my 25CC of more run time
Old 09-25-2007, 07:59 PM
losifiend

Cool, thanks for the info! I allready orderd the parts to convert it. If I dont use them I'll just put them on Ebay. So a clutch bell from what HPI? RS4? Do you have a part #?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 PM
MiamizFinest

here is a link to the clutch bell

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLR2&P=M

ull need both of theses pinion gears

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHM2&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHM5&P=7

also if u dont already have it ull need a set of normal clutch bell bearings not that tube system the inferno gt brings stock.......have a pack of shims in hand in case u need them and everything will be a dirrect fit.....about 20 bucks and ull be pushing some serouse speed
Old 09-25-2007, 09:10 PM
rcnitrohead

Thats gonna be a nice combo[8D] A guy I know was topping 72mph+ speeds with a significantly modded Inferno GT and an O.S. VSPEC .21 competition engine. I'm still debating between an Inferno or a 1:8 Ofna car, definitely want 1:8 (bigger is better) but I dislike the "fat" look of the Inferno, though I dunno much about the Ofna's either.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
MiamizFinest

the ofna's are crap.......the LITTERALLY weight over a pound more than the inferno gt becuase of the cheaper metals and plastic ofna uses on there onoroad buggy............trust me INFERNO GT is the way to go
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 AM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest

here is a link to the clutch bell

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLR2&P=M

ull need both of theses pinion gears

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHM2&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHM5&P=7

also if u dont already have it ull need a set of normal clutch bell bearings not that tube system the inferno gt brings stock.......have a pack of shims in hand in case u need them and everything will be a dirrect fit.....about 20 bucks and ull be pushing some serouse speed
Thanks for the links! But looking at the CB and the size of the pinions it all most seems like I can use a stock LST2 clutch bell. Its geared at 18/25. Going to give it a try since I allready have the parts sitting in my LST "spares" box. If that fails them I'll hit up the LHS and find those parts. They all carry tons of HPI stuff. Its Wednsday and if I order those parts now I wont see them till mid next week.

My LST2 flywheel and clutch shoes should be at my door step today and the spur geras(if you cant tell second is stripped[:'(]) should be here tomorrow. Hope to have the motor broken in and running by this weekend[8D]
Old 09-26-2007, 09:33 AM
losifiend

the ofna's are crap.......the LITTERALLY weight over a pound more than the inferno gt becuase of the cheaper metals and plastic ofna uses on there onoroad buggy............trust me INFERNO GT is the way to go
Yeah but the RTR just got radared at 60MPH[X(], [>:] out of the box( by eather RCCA or Driver, I cant remember but ist this months issue). I have a sweet spot for the DM1 with the G35 body. That might be my next on road. I love the big cars now! So easy to work on, and OFNA has better parts support than Kyosho anyways.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 AM
ferrarimk13

i hate that head [:'(] it looks weird, and the engine is a weird size, .27 right?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:49 PM
MiamizFinest

the LST2 cluch bell wont work becuase of the huge jump from 18 to 25............the HPI pinion gear works becuase the teeth diffrence is only 3 teeth apart........

if u try the LST2 bell ur porbably strippe dthe gears like butter plus the 18 front parts of the bell wotn reach the spur gear's 1st gear........plus that 25 tooth second gear is to big and wont mesh unless u cut open the motor mounts.........the HPI 23 second gear almost doesnt fit BUT it does work

i love the mach 427 head it looks like something ude see on a space ship or something.........its actually the signle best RTR motor on the market.........those 427 motors run real hard and last for ever and a day and are super cheap............also to clear upt he size issue the 427 is a 26 size motor..............everyone thinks its a 27 becuase its called 427..........
Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 PM
losifiend

the LST2 cluch bell wont work becuase of the huge jump from 18 to 25............the HPI pinion gear works becuase the teeth diffrence is only 3 teeth apart........

if u try the LST2 bell ur porbably strippe dthe gears like butter plus the 18 front parts of the bell wotn reach the spur gear's 1st gear........plus that 25 tooth second gear is to big and wont mesh unless u cut open the motor mounts.........the HPI 23 second gear almost doesnt fit BUT it does work

i love the mach 427 head it looks like something ude see on a space ship or something.........its actually the signle best RTR motor on the market.........those 427 motors run real hard and last for ever and a day and are super cheap............also to clear upt he size issue the 427 is a 26 size motor..............everyone thinks its a 27 becuase its called 427..........
Thanks for clearing that up about the LST clutch bell.

And yeah the 427 may look "weird" to some people but its a 7 port .26 which means it will run circles around a 3 port .28. Displacement is nothing if an engine cant flow enough fuel to keep it moving.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:17 PM
rcnitrohead

So are there any bodies that are less wide then stock? To make it look more scale? I dont know why, the phat look bugs me[&:] I did some research and decided that the Ofna GTP is out of the picture since my LHS supports Kyosho and the IGT anyway[8D] The DM-1 does look awesome though
Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
ferrarimk13

oh yeah, it is a .26, but i like heads that are flat on top, but whatever you like, it really does look like a spaceship
Old 09-27-2007, 04:34 PM
losifiend

DONE!!!

Here it is all finished and with two heat cycles ran through it. Its so awsome to be able to start the car with a roto starter. Needless to say it sounds just like my LST2 when its running. Going to put another 4 heat cycles through it before I put it on the road and it will be 1/2 gallon before I switch to 30% and start to rip it up a bit.

What I love about this engine is that because of it "weird" head its so consistant with temps. It idled two Different times, for 3 minutes, at no more than 202* with a sock wraped 1/2 way around the head and it never shut off eather. Not once did I have to fan it to richen the fuel mixture to bring the temps down. I love this motor!!!

Spur gears came in today so I'll be working on that tonite 8-)
Old 09-27-2007, 04:50 PM
MiamizFinest

looks good!!!! make sure before u use 30% you shim the motor for 30% ull need to buy one 0.1 shim so the engines lasts a good long time

also looking into changeing the fuel tank its just a matter of time before it craps out
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM
rcnitrohead

Looking good! Except for the tires Those are the stock ones right? All I need is to get some more money and I'll have one soon. I'm looking at buying a dremel right now though, to mod my existing engines[8D]
Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 AM
GYNAIKAS

ORIGINAL: losifiend

DONE!!!

Here it is all finished and with two heat cycles ran through it. Its so awsome to be able to start the car with a roto starter. Needless to say it sounds just like my LST2 when its running. Going to put another 4 heat cycles through it before I put it on the road and it will be 1/2 gallon before I switch to 30% and start to rip it up a bit.

What I love about this engine is that because of it "weird" head its so consistant with temps. It idled two Different times, for 3 minutes, at no more than 202* with a sock wraped 1/2 way around the head and it never shut off eather. Not once did I have to fan it to richen the fuel mixture to bring the temps down. I love this motor!!!

Spur gears came in today so I'll be working on that tonite 8-)

I can see that your rear right tyre is wears off faster than the left one. That means that you sould put stiffer slicon oil in the rear differential. Your car is heavier at the left so the left tyre has more grip and the differential drives the power to the right one so it spins out more. Try it you wont regret it. Just be careful caise if you stiffen too much the diff you'll get tons of oversteer...just find the proper balance.[8D]
Old 09-28-2007, 08:25 AM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: GYNAIKAS
I can see that your rear right tyre is wears off faster than the left one. That means that you sould put stiffer slicon oil in the rear differential. Your car is heavier at the left so the left tyre has more grip and the differential drives the power to the right one so it spins out more. Try it you wont regret it. Just be careful caise if you stiffen too much the diff you'll get tons of oversteer...just find the proper balance.[8D]
Actually that tire was on the right front and I swapped it to the rear so that it would wear less. Thats the result from doing doughnits because the left rear tire gets coated with fuel when the body is off. 4wd cars love to spin in cirles

rcnitrohead, do all your engine modding by hand with fine, hobby grade files. Brass is very un forgiving. A dremmel will inly be useful when modding a crank. Other wise just use a wide assortment of files and tons of elbo grease. Here are some photos of the sleve for my .12 in my CRT.5 that I just did.....by hand!!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:31 PM
GYNAIKAS

Yes rc cars love to spin in circles but shafts and tyres hate it... I'm glad that everything is ok! And I like your car very much...
Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 PM
rcnitrohead

I have a set of hand files, but they are waay too big to do that kind of stuff. Can you post a link or pic to the tools I should be looking for? Thanks[8D]

Also, how in the world did you do it so precisely, any tips? Thanks.