Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Best engine for a TGX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 AM
gt5500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best engine for a TGX

What is the best engine for a modded TGX? everyone says the 18TZ is the best engine you can get but I am worried that the high torque will destroy the drive train, also why do you want a high torque engine for on road cars?. Is there a better engine or should I just get the TZ? I am after all out speed for bashing not racing.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:58 AM
GYNAIKAS

Default RE: Best engine for a TGX

It's you who asked for the best...so tz is the best...now as for the risk of harming your drive train go to heavy duty parts.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

TGX, Is that the old Tamiya 1/8 scale nitro. That was my first car years ago before I got back into cars. If it's not then ok
Old 10-06-2007, 02:23 AM
GYNAIKAS

Also a .21 engine possibly would be ok.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 AM
gt5500

Yeah it is the old tamiya 1/8th car
Old 10-06-2007, 04:54 AM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: GYNAIKAS

It's you who asked for the best...so tz is the best...now as for the risk of harming your drive train go to heavy duty parts.
Well actually I asked what the best engine was for the car, not what the best engine was, I need to know if the TZis the best choice for the car.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:45 AM
GYNAIKAS

Can you post any pics of the tranny, the mounting positions and the car (without the bodyshell on) so I can estimate the Hp it can handle?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:01 AM
ferrarimk13

are u talking about the .12 or the .18? they are both great motors, but if you have a 1/8th, go with a .21, it definitely should fit.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:20 AM
GYNAIKAS

That's what i believe too..but how old is the car? Some pics would help...just to be sure...
Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 AM
gt5500

I don't have any pics of the car but there are a few around on the net, they are 1/8th but it is more comparable to HPI's super RS4 then a 1/8th circuit car or buggy so a 21 will definately be over the top. It came as standard with a 15 size engine but it is a very old car now (10 years or more) so the engine is a poor design by todays standards. The drivetrain is prop driven, with plastic spurs, metal diff gears, front one way bearing diff the drivetrain is very advanced for the age of the car and is similar to the TC3 but stronger and bigger. I have the uprated propshaft which I can't see any 18 size engine breaking (basically a 5mm stainless rod) but I suspect the spurs are not made for serious amount of torque as they are quite small for a 1/8th car. The only reason I haven't just settled for the TZ is because I wanted to know if there was an engine out there that would have enough torque to move this car but not so much as to rip it up but with as much revs as possible. I have looked at the RB engines, but they don't give dyno figures because they say you can't compare engines based on them and also the Novarossi engines and they have the NS15 which is claimed as 1.8bhp and 43,000rpm practical revs but they are hard to find and seem to be 'big block' so i guess they wouldn't fit.