RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:24 AM
vic88my

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Clearance

Hi,

I wish to buy RC 1/8 on road such as PRP XR80 or Adam Exer. But, the main issue is that there is no place to play in my region due to the roads and parking lot here is not totally smooth. Even the best asphalt road and parking lot here have certain degrees of pebbles, rough sand or small stones.

I like RC on road cos it is fast, accelerates better, and can corner well.

I think the ideal ground clearance for car to run at my region shall be 12 - 15 mm. Even that is barely enough to run on uneven roads right ?

so, how can I adjust the ground clearance of 1/8 on road to that range above ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Vic
Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Krashu

Default RE: Ground Clearance

These would give you a bit...

Old 10-28-2007, 04:30 AM
vic88my

ORIGINAL: Krashu

May I know what is that ? where to apply ? A bit is how many mm ?

Thanks

Vic
Chartered Accountant

Hi,

I wish to buy RC 1/8 on road such as PRP XR80 or Adam Exer. But, the main issue is that there is no place to play in my region due to the roads and parking lot here is not totally smooth. Even the best asphalt road and parking lot here have certain degrees of pebbles, rough sand or small stones.

I like RC on road cos it is fast, accelerates better, and can corner well.

I think the ideal ground clearance for car to run at my region shall be 12 - 15 mm. Even that is barely enough to run on uneven roads right ?

so, how can I adjust the ground clearance of 1/8 on road to that range above ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Vic
Chartered Accountant
Old 10-28-2007, 05:03 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most 1/8 on-road cars have threaded shocks...so to raise the ride height, just turn the spring collar down...no need for spring spacers.

The suspension however does not have all that much travel, because 1/8 scale on-road cars are track cars, so they don't really need a whole lot of travel.

You can adjust one to have about 10mm or so of ground clearance and still have a little downward travel, before the arms hot the down stops.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Krashu

ORIGINAL: vic88my

ORIGINAL: Krashu

May I know what is that ? where to apply ? A bit is how many mm ?

Thanks

Vic
Chartered Accountant

On top of the springs,they're available in all different sizes. A lot of cars come with them..
Old 10-28-2007, 06:28 AM
vic88my

The pebbles size on the parking lot here is about 4-8mm in diameter, will it hurt the car ?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 AM
vic88my

Is the Car body adjustable too ? also, can I use bigger tires to increase the height ?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:00 AM
GYNAIKAS

ORIGINAL: vic88my

Is the Car body adjustable too ? also, can I use bigger tires to increase the height ?

No i think you can't use any other type of tyres in such a car cause front and rear axels have different turning ratio. I don't know exactly what you mean by the word adjustable (aerodynamicly or its height?).

PS) These parts shown in the pics are called spacers.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 AM
vic88my

I mean the ground clearance. Incl the Car Shell. So, does it mean that the maximum ground clearance for the chassis is 10 mm or so ? The cover/lola body need to be at least 10mm above the ground too so that it won't scratch the ground.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:37 AM
GYNAIKAS

If the body mounts are adjustable then it is possible. Otherwise you cut the body a little bit more than normal.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:43 PM
proptop

You could trim the lower edge of the body with scissors...
You should also have body mount posts (on the front anyway ) with holes to allow different body mount (height ) positions?

I'm not familiar with that particular car, but it is most likely belt drive, (correct? ) and pebbles/stones, and other debris will damage the belts and pulleys, so you should probably get some spares of those parts.

I sometimes take a leaf blower with me to blow off the "track" surface before I run...(I use a big, deserted parking lot )
Old 10-28-2007, 02:50 PM
GYNAIKAS

Leaf blower??? LMAO!!! Man you rule...respect!!! I don't have much patience for things like that one...[&:]
Old 10-29-2007, 03:08 AM
vic88my

On a slightly imperfect road condition ( with 5% pebbles and small stones ), what is the reliability and performance of the car ?

If the reliability of Inferno GT is 90% and performance is 40%, and Kyosho Evolva etc is 60% reliability, but the performance

is 90%, I would rather choose Kyosho Evolva.

Can anyone confirm the reliability and performance data above so that I can make a decision ?

thanks

note: reliability = broken parts, vulnerability to breakage and repair
Performance = speed, acceleration, cornering sharpness, stability, maneuverability

Regards,
Victor
Chartered Accountant
Old 10-29-2007, 05:19 AM
proptop

Vic...I have no experience with the Inferno, so I can't help ya there...but if the area is dusty, and has small pebbles, grit, stones, twigs, etc. etc. then you'd probably be better off with something with shaft drive.
I have an old X-Terminator that I can just beat the heck out of if I don't have the time to (or feel like ) clean up the parking lot...it's a buggy that I put street tires on, so I guess you could call it similar in idea to the Inferno? My X-Terminator has a Top 528X in it and taller gears, so it'll get up and go.

ORIGINAL: GYNAIKAS

Leaf blower??? LMAO!!! Man you rule...respect!!! I don't have much patience for things like that one...[&:]

You oughta see the looks I get from some of the passers by as I'm out there...they're like [sm=bananahead.gif] what's with this guy!?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Sometimes I fly my 3D profile "foamy" in the various well lit parking lots after midnight...(that gets some incredulous stares too )
Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 AM
GYNAIKAS

vic88my:

Ok well I believe that in such a parking lot EVOLVA gets a 99% in performance and a 30% in reliability cause you're definately gonna scratch the chasis...IGT has 99% reliability and 40% performance. The XR80 if its ground clearance can be increased is 80% performance and 60% reliability...but those numbers are just estimations...I don't think they reflect the true conditons. There's also another combination...Kyosho FW-RR. With a competition sirio on it I give it 80% performance and since it's shaft driven I also give it 80% reliability. It's like an RRR without belts and with more ground clearance if needed. That should be my choice.

proptop:

LMAO!!! Oh...you must be the mysterious hero I saw on the news...the one with the secret identity who walks in the dark holding his powerful leaf blower...you are the ""RCMAN"" [X(]!!! HAHAHAHAHA LOOOOOOL!!!!!