Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

The GTP Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 PM
CBM Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The GTP Thread

I want to as well, but cash is slow this year. Maybe over the winter months I can get time and money for it. Want the milled chassis(or home brewed custom chassis) and want to make c/f towers as well. Would put more adjustments holes in them I think. Would like c/f servo tray/upper deck as well to run from front to back to stiffen it up some. Wish they made lighter weight diffs and cases for it too. I wouldn't mind going back to 1 speed with a smaller spur as well. When I first got mine I used a gear adapter from a savage(or mt2, not sure)and modded a rs4 47 tooth spur to fit, but didn't get it centered perfectly and chewed it up after a few tanks. But the adapter/one way bearing fit the stock shaft perfectly though, so thats another option to try again. Might even try a center diff with thick fluid so I can have front/rear brake bias. The stock diffs and bearings fit in the center mount perfect, and the stock metal spur bolts right to the diff, but no way to put on brake disk as the output cups are round. So many ideas, so little time/money. As for pinions, might try an hpi rs4 clutch bell and 18/23 pinions. I Know they are the same gear pitch(1.0 metric)but the pinions don't thread onto the ofna clutchbell, I tried. I'm off to my shop again soon to see what I got laying around.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Mufasa_719

the hpi CB is what the inferno guys are using, and the Kyosho elvolva 2-speed. the thing is the onfa 2-speed is a 2 shoe type and not a cam lever. well they have both neway but the shoe type is soo much better than the cam style for longevity perposes. I may just get the 2-speed monday but I am tossing up a few options.

What would you do.........
1 2-speed
2 new throttle servo(mine is standerd ofna) and ofna 086 pipe(also stock on mine)
3 grp premounts and servo
4 grp premounts and pipe

I am asking as the thing is the car runs fine as is...but, I want faster. servo is stock pipe is not upper end its low i think,and my tires are all messed up.

but the 2-speed is the most expensive. I have $130 to spend.
2-speed 100$
servo 35$
pipe 50$
tires 60$ (all 4)
Old 08-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Mufasa_719

man also get some pics of that bad boy up here!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:29 AM
thenova70ss
My Feedback: (31)

Hey guys i have some GTP parts i will sale 2 body's one is a Porsh and the other is a Subaru WRX and a 2 speed center diff i will sale the hole mess for 85.00 shipped.i have some pic if you need to see the body's.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:28 AM
helivaguy

in my ofna 9.5 gtp im using mugen mtx 43/47 spurgears that i modified to fit the 2 speed hubs with a hpi 17/21 clutchbell,cost no more than 40.00 to do,i could higher on the pinions and lower on the spurs if i want but no need to as its just too darn fast as is,im still using the older cam lever 2 speed,as far as the radio plate/battery box i beleive the carbon fiber setup from the hyper 8.5 will fit the ultra based chassis.
ofna 086 pipe is a must.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 AM
CBM Racing

Hey Mufasa, 1st thing would be tires. No matter what else you put in it, you go nowhere without tires. I used a stock ofna servo untill the big crash, so if it still works ok, that can wait. So, I would go with tires and pipe first, and see what you can come up with for gearing. A clutch bell and gear can't be to expensive, so you might want to see what you can get in your budget. Single speed with a 23 or more tooth pinion should give decent top end and still have good acceleration.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Mufasa_719

A 19 CB is the biggest that will fit or I would have went higher. My motor is all the way to the left

I was leaning on the pipe and tires too but wasent sure.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM
tonyjmil

please visit us at
http://infernogtdm1.proboards100.com/index.cgi
Old 09-05-2008, 10:01 PM
CBM Racing

Looks like this thread is dying off, so thought I might bring it back to life. Haven't had much time to play lately with mine, between being down with a monster cold and trying to get ready for winter. But have done some testing with set ups and stuff. Biggest issue is keeping tires on mine now. The factory glued ones peel off the rim to easy, and I don't want to keep buying the same kind. I like the way it handles with the treaded ones, but they wear out to fast and it is getting expensive when you go through a few sets in a days racing/bashing. Anybody tried the belted ones, slicks or treaded? Somewhere I saw some that were described as almost solid rubber(kinda like foams)that lasted a long time but can't remember the name. Nuts[:@], I hate my memory sometimes! Going to work on bent chassis soon, gonna flatten as best I can, then break out the dremel. Going to try to cut it up as light as I can, then go to work on the diff housings, and see what else I can lighten up. Would like to get it down to around5 lbs or so rtr. If it works out good, might do it to new one as well. Lets here how they're going!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:37 PM
helivaguy

these are what i use,they dont baloon and last.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25166
Old 09-14-2008, 09:39 PM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: helivaguy

these are what i use,they dont baloon and last.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25166
Thanks for the tip on the tires! I just picked up the GT2 with CLK, kinda ugly but some carbon fiber decals and black backer paint to thicken up the paint coat and darken up the thin silver helps alot. I'm running an RB S7 modded with a 2045 or an 086. I used to run a Hyper 7 with 2 speed on asphalt back in the day and a good .21 will smoke all .28s in top speed and the 2 speed allows the lower torque of the .21 to pull with less wheel spin and you will pull .28's out of corners. Dont get me wrong, I love .28's and will use an RB 928 when I want to drift and show off at the hobby shop. I think this car needs a center body post or roll bar to support the flimsy body and I think a 1/8th scale buggy wing can be modified to fit at the back to provide more pretection and better down force in the rear. I see everone runs heavy diff fluid in the front and lighter in the rear, I think I'll pull mine and make the change. What shock oils are you guys running? I have no idea whats in the car nor what's in the diffs.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 PM
CBM Racing

For more rear protection, I used the entire front bumper from my wrecked one, and mounted to the rear just like the front one. Fits like a glove and not very heavy. I think a center post is a good idea as well, shouldn't be to hard to come up with something using extra posts they include in the box.Might try those tires as well, mine don't balloon if mounted correctly, they just wear to fast for the cost[&:]. Also looking into other things as well, muh hahahaha...
As for shock oil, I'm using stock for now, not sure what it is either, but am going to try some 50 weight soon to see what happens. Will let ya know how it goes.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:04 AM
Mufasa_719

not sure on my shock oils eather. just what they were from factory. for me im thinking like 65-70 weight
Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 PM
crazysavage

I had the stock engine on ebay and was working at the hobbyshop today and broke in a stock GTP for a customer. The stock engine ran so well that I pulled mine off of ebay at the last second. I pulled the sleave and was amazed to find a nice 5 port that is mildly ported and a crank that is nicely modded by the factory. I will cut in a little more mild porting to gain some rpm and break this baby in. It has three head shims so you can play with compression and timing to get a little more RPM. The force engine is greatly improved over the old school force's and the carb looks like a sportwerks will fit and that will allow a much bigger carb opening to feed the bigger ports. I'll try some mid and high range pipes for top speed but the the car I broke in today seemed to lay it down quite nicely.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:01 AM
CBM Racing

Good to hear about the force engines. Right now I have a picco .28 in mine. It is a screamer, but I need more power! Heh heh, I always want more power. Over next couple weeks I am looking into going to the factory team picco 28 modded for crazy power, but am still working on the wife to get the go ahead. Tomarrow I'm gonna get out the arsenal of rc's for a good days running before the weather gets cold again, have to see what I have, and what needs to be done to them. Hoping to get the bump start picco soon, and with mods I should be screaming big time. We'll see though what wifey says. Good luck to all!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:19 PM
martsrc

I just picked up a second hand Ofna GTP with a Picco .28 and upgraded servos. I'll post some pics soon.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
crazysavage

Just wanted to do some venting about Ofna. The GTP2 is great car...the engine is fast enough when broken in with the heat cycle method and there is plenty of tuning in the chassis to get to handle as well as the Inferno and almost as good as the DM-1 spec. The problem is the ring gears. Ihave pushed this car at the hobby shop I work part time at and now I have to eat my words. We have mine and 4 others that are getting the same results. Soon after break in the front ring gear starts to click under breaking and the rear gets completely smoked. It's an onroad car getting run on road as it was designed and the cast gears are like butter. This causes everyone to have to buy the hardened gear at $24 a pop. Gears are not upgrades in this industry, if you put in a .28 engine and dont upgrade the gears then you are leaving the owner out in the wind. Ofna will replace the stock gear on new cars if you send it in to them but that is useless since it will happen again. I have owned 9 ofna cars and this is the first one other than the twin titan that gave me a gear problem. I'm just pissed that you have to spend $50 bucks more to make the car reliable. And what pisses me off even more is that some of the GTP's out there have the hardened gear already installed and Ofna pretends like it's not a problem with the GTP. But like an idiot I go and buy the DM-1 spec roller and order the gears for the GTP2 so I can get it up and running to sell it.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 PM
CBM Racing

Grrrr! I hear ya on the ring gears, and the pinions aint much better[:'(]. I went through both front and rear, and have upgraded to hardened ones, but now the teeth are snapping off the pinions[:@]. I to am very dissapointed with the gear issues, as is everyone else who has one of these. Love the car, hate the gears and downtime caused by them. They need to include the hardened gears as stock, and throw in a shim kit as well. Otherwise, awsome fun.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 PM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

Grrrr! I hear ya on the ring gears, and the pinions aint much better[:'(]. I went through both front and rear, and have upgraded to hardened ones, but now the teeth are snapping off the pinions[:@]. I to am very dissapointed with the gear issues, as is everyone else who has one of these. Love the car, hate the gears and downtime caused by them. They need to include the hardened gears as stock, and throw in a shim kit as well. Otherwise, awsome fun.
I suspect that the gears are not the issue but the plastic star shaped part that holds the ring gear onto the diff cup. The gear should be one piece all metal and I would bet the farm the problem would go away.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Mufasa_719

well I havent han toooo many problems but I think a bad batch was put out. I compleatly sheered my pinion off. 13$ LATER and I am good to go again, and no problems yet. But i do hear many gear problems. For this winter my plan is to get some other sets of diffs and see if I cant get some to retro fit in there. First I am going to start with the jammin diffs, hypers and so on. I will inform you guys with any luck.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 AM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: Mufasa_719

well I havent han toooo many problems but I think a bad batch was put out. I compleatly sheered my pinion off. 13$ LATER and I am good to go again, and no problems yet. But i do hear many gear problems. For this winter my plan is to get some other sets of diffs and see if I cant get some to retro fit in there. First I am going to start with the jammin diffs, hypers and so on. I will inform you guys with any luck.
I ,m checking on a retro fit my self. We need to start with a set of 8x19x5 or 6 mm bearings to get the experiment going.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 AM
helivaguy

good luck..been there done that,i have been back and fourth with rob at ofna about this.
nothing else will fit without hacking it into a frankenstein..i tried jammin,hypers,ofna mutilator/violator/9.5 series diff assemblys,
your better off just buying the hardened gears and shim them the best you can.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:38 PM
crazysavage

good luck..been there done that,i have been back and fourth with rob at ofna about this.
nothing else will fit without hacking it into a frankenstein..i tried jammin,hypers,ofna mutilator/violator/9.5 series diff assemblys,
your better off just buying the hardened gears and shim them the best you can.
Thanks for the heads up...now I dont have to waste my time. They should have but this car on the 9.5 platform in the first place and let the ultra die off to a a peacful rest.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
helivaguy

i do..lol
built mine based on the 9.5 pro it already had all the hardened diff and bevel gears along with all the hardened outdrives, universals and aluminum chassis supports,
found the roller on ebay for 50.00.
all i had to do was get the (cam type) 2 speed to fit by modifiying the shaft,i also used a kyosho inferno gt front shock tower and shocks.
i also have the new gtp2 and its very weak compared to the 9.5.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:02 PM
crazysavage

i do..lol
built mine based on the 9.5 pro it already had all the hardened diff and bevel gears along with all the hardened outdrives, universals and aluminum chassis supports,
found the roller on ebay for 50.00.
all i had to do was get the (cam type) 2 speed to fit by modifiying the shaft,i also used a kyosho inferno gt front shock tower and shocks.
i also have the new gtp2 and its very weak compared to the 9.5.
I picked up the DM-1 spec and it is spec-tacular. I already have a steel 2 speed that fits the hyper seven with normal 1/8th scale size bearings. I think I'm going to convert a Jammin RTR. Do you need to flatten out the kick up in the chassis or just make a custom chassis plate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.