Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

my first on-road

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 PM
robbio4422

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first on-road

hey guys... im new to on-road but i picked up a used tc3 last night that im going to spend a good amount of cash on...

im wonding what i might need to stay away from if im planning on racing thic car... it has a ae.15 that has a broken pull start. should i convert it to a box start? i have a box for my gt and i was told it would start the same car...

it also has a large foam bumper. what are your opinions on the rpm front bumpers?

any other suggestions would be awsome.

thanks,
-rob

for those who noticed... i did post this in the tc3 thread but i got no replies and im heading to my LHS in about an hour... plz help me out.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: my first on-road

Racing=a good suspension set-up. Get some sway bars, different shock oil, and springs. You can also get different gearing to help out with low-end or top-end.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:45 AM
GYNAIKAS

Suspenssion springs and tires for start...then maybe a good exhaust system. But first drive the car and find out what it needs in order to pich up the correct spring stifness and tire compound.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a fair amount of work ahead of you to turn that into a race car. And even when you've hopped it up as much as is possible, it still won't be competitive with a purpose built belt driven race car, and will have cost twice as much. Are you sure you want to do this?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
olkleaf

if you are going to race i would get foam tires i would change the engine and converting it to box start is a good idea. change the radio equipment (radio receiver servos) get a fail safe get an aluminum steering servo arm (at the track my plastic ones striped) buy lots of extra parts like a arms screws - prepare for the worst at the track the worst thing is when you have to go home early because you don't have the part that broke. the body is 200mm
Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM
robbio4422

ok where to start will all of this feed back... i have a pic to post so ill let you all check it out...

i have a futaba 3pm 2.4g so im good there.. would it be a good idea to install a high torgue stearing servo... like i said, i have been running st's for the last 5 years

i have a few motors laying around but they are all for my trucks. i have a spare os 12tz and 12.cv-r but i dont think i can get those into an onroad... or can i?

can someone direct me to some links for any upgraded parts... all i can find is stock ae parts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35800.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1021594  
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 AM
robbio4422

ORIGINAL: Foxy

You have a fair amount of work ahead of you to turn that into a race car. And even when you've hopped it up as much as is possible, it still won't be competitive with a purpose built belt driven race car, and will have cost twice as much. Are you sure you want to do this?
well if anything, this will open my eyes to a new style of driving. i can always fix this car and sell it (like i do with most of my cars) and start looking for a kit on something much better to keep as my own, what would you recomend?

im willing to put as much into any of my cars as needed... if you look at my last build you can see im very much into wrenching and nothing will stop me once i have a project going.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 AM
olkleaf

oh yea i forgot to tell you. if you never raced before well once you get to the track take your time around the track let the faster cars pass you don't expect to be the fastest guy there. you will get better! MAKE FRIENDS (DONT SIT AT A CORNER BY YOUR SELF- GO WHERE EVER ONE ELSE IS SITING that way the local guys will see you and talk to you) the guys there they will help you out ALOT!! ask for advice. like what tires are best for the track how should i set up my car. and just have fun!!
and if it helps you any here is the set up of my NTC3.

front toe out is at 2 degrees
rear is toe in 2 degrees
camber front and back at 2 degrees
my front shocks are in the inner hole (on the shock tower) and the outer hole (the a arm)
my rear shocks are on the middle hole (shock tower) upper hole (a arm)
my rear is 12mm off the ground and the front is at 8mm
Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
robbio4422

is there a specific size motor that is legal or not? i know with my st's i have to run .12
Old 08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, .12s for 1/10th nitro racing. As for kits... When you are ready (and the TC3 is a good car to start with and just decide if the concept is for you), there are a few good cars. Since money is no object, go for the Xray NT1 or the Kyosho V-one RRR and put a racing .12 in.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
olkleaf

i would check with the track first. if you want to race in ROAR or some thing like that you should get a .12 engine if you just want to race at the track i would check to see if they care. at my local track they don't car what size engine your car is or anything you can drive a pure outlaw car with out a problem like my NTC3 has an OS .18tz on it and its a killer.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 PM
CBM Racing

I say put that 12tz in there and go try racing! At local tracks the tc3 is very competetive and is pretty strong for the learning curve oopsies. See what everyone else at your track is using for tires and go with what works on YOUR track. I see lots of people upgrade the diffs to steel gears, so that might be a good idea right away. Try out the setup above and go from there to fine tune it to the track. Other things you might want right away, depending on track, gearing options and spring sets. If you already have st's you probably have shock oil already so ask around at the track about prefered weight. Mostly right away it's just getting out and getting used to the car's handling and learning how to corner. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Cypriot Boy

well i thing you forgot is the differential oils, it depend on your driving of what diff oils you need.