Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Nasty 1/10 scale on-road cars using .21 or larger engines....come inside

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Nasty 1/10 scale on-road cars using .21 or larger engines....come inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:33 PM
bigwill5686

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nasty 1/10 scale on-road cars using .21 or larger engines....come inside

ORIGINAL: Brent Davis

a
What is everybody else that is reading these messages doing lately with their 1/10 scale cars even if you are just using a .18 engine? Some guys have fadded from the topic like nitrohead5300, Miami jato, bigwill5686, Miamizfinest, Got to 100 and some more serious hitters that I know build some great cars. Just wondering what they might be up to..........hmmmmmm.
Well i am still here, i have been reading this everyday and getting new idea's and just wrenching on my new big blocked jato....pics will come soon for that
Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 PM
bigwill5686

Default RE: Nasty 1/10 scale on-road cars using .21 or larger engines....come inside

Actually here are a shot so far...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17994.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1129616  
Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
apollodigital

hey JPsonoma, long time bro.... yeah where the f^%$ you get that pinion........... let us know, maybe if we all want one we can all save some $$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-07-2009, 06:50 PM
CBM Racing

Yeah, I could use a couple of those too! Hey Bigwill5686, I tried those rear foams on my jato, but didn't have enough gearing to really get any speed, so I flipped my rear arms on my rs4 around and did some grinding and they bolted right up . To bad it would need a custom made body to cover them honkers. I ran them on the rear end with front shaft removed but unfortunately the .18 I had in it just couldn't turn them. Might try again now with the .26 in it. Take out front diff, bones, driveshaft and make a crazy dragster out of it. But I will wait awhile as I just geared it way up and want to see what kind od speed I'm looking at. I would try to figure an estimated top end, but to lazy.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:05 PM
nitrorevo

HAd an excellent day of running today. Weather and track conditions were almost perfect. Just a few details.

Brent, I did meet up with Calvin, Shawn and the guys today. Great dudes. I had about the most fun than I ever had in R/C. The bad news is, we all spent about 3 hours at the dragstrip and not even one damn clip of footage. I was so excited....being my first time and all, I forgot about the camera. The lights on the tree had me hippnotized. LOL

I made 5 passes with the P9R/RS4. Setup geared tall with 19/23 pinions...oh and yes the Kawahara tires came in the mail as I was pullin out, so I ran them as well.

(1) Warm up, very timid of the wall and drivetrain not holding.
(2) Easy on the throttle, car tracked perfectly straight. Time 2.64
(3) Full throttle launch, much better time. No print out for some reason. Probably my fastest time of the day.
(4) Full throttle launch, Sticky on the tires, car bogg down. No time
(5) Full throttle launch, car tracked perfectly. Hooked up nicley with the sticky tires. Time 2.4 no sweat.

No broken parts, didn't hit the side fence or go out of my lane once. The RS4 held up way better than I could imagine. Got many props on the build by season drag circuit guys running under 1.7-2.0 with true drag cars.

You were right 1.9 is smoking, and likely out of the range of a 1.10 car, but I can certianly scare the hell out of 2.0 which is blazing. They guys that were faster had much more experience, had their cars tuned and geared perfectly and running 50% nitro in most.

Once I get some tanks through the engine and the metal to metal pinch is gone, I can lean it out, gear it down and add higher nitro. I think that will give low 2's consitently. All with a tweaked RTR. All in all, Today was a good day.

BTW, that GPX4 .18TZ Shawn ran ain't no joke either.

Will post pics tomorrow. Got a party right now.

The
Old 02-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Over_revO

Thats nice man!

Cant wait to see the pics

Have a nice party!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Brent Davis

jpsonoma, hey, no problem and WELCOME to our crazy world.........lol. Definately some nice parts you got there bro.

bigwill, thanks for your updates man. Glad to see you doing what you do. I hope to see some nasty passes once you are finished.

nitrorevo, man glad that you had a great day and like I said, don't get too carried away with thinking what you "THINK" your car should run and just go and have fun. As you saw, it takes darn near a dedicated race car to even run a 1.9 or quicker plus the experience that those guys have is a wealth of knowledge too. Post the pics too.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:41 PM
nitrorevo

nitrorevo, man glad that you had a great day and like I said, don't get too carried away with thinking what you "THINK" your car should run and just go and have fun. As you saw, it takes darn near a dedicated race car to even run a 1.9 or quicker plus the experience that those guys have is a wealth of knowledge too. Post the pics too.
I here ya Brent, but going against the clock is my thang now man. The drag event made the hobby much more meaningful from me than just running up and down the street and parking lot bashing, even though I enjoy that as well. With the time slip, I have concrete data to analyze the run and determine what needs to be improved. Also, because it is competitive and structured I can invest what ever reasonable with no grief from the wife.

I thought it was just going to be a few guys making some passes on a long street, but it was a full blown IMDRA drag event. The scene was nice as well...I wasn't nearly the oldest dude out there. I got to know the organizer and he showed me the ropes. Turns out he lives 10 min. from me. There were a few guys there from your neck of the woods...Maryland, DC and Richmond.

Man, I'm seriously thinking about joining IMDRA, building a Walbern Pro Stock and a belt drive 1/10 for my JLR .12 and running in a few different classes. I think 2 of the 8 events are right here in NC.

Here is the lastest pic. with the tires mounted. The Lambo body is a perfect fit and covers the tires well. Red/black paint job should be ready on Wed. I will post pics.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:01 PM
nitrorevo

ORIGINAL: Jpsonoma

What is everybody else that is reading these messages doing lately with their 1/10 scale cars even if you are just using a .18 engine? Some guys have fadded from the topic like nitrohead5300, Miami jato, bigwill5686, Miamizfinest, Got to 100 and some more serious hitters that I know build some great cars. Just wondering what they might be up to..........hmmmmmm.
Well, I know I'm not in that list, but I've decided to see how close to 100mph I can get out of a .18 in my RS4 3.
I'll probably just keep makeing little improvements over time instead of trying everything all at once, maybe make it a goal of mine to hit somewhere close to that speed by the end of summer, who knows, that's the majority of the fun for me is just building and trying new things.
Obviously an .18 lacks the torque that some of those .21's or larger have, so I'm opting to keep my two speed, but that means custom gears need to be made for my clutch bell. So that's where I'm at, basically got the whole car broken down and started cleaning it up. Winter looks to be hanging around for a few months longer, so there's not a real big rush right now.
JP, looking good man. I ran a similar gear combo on my Jato, little creativity goes a long way. You need a lot of power to push those gears and a good 600ft or better to get the benefit. At least it was for me it did, and I was using a modded .21TM.

25 tooth and 29 tooth. .8 and 1mm pitch.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Brent Davis

I hear you man. I am already with IMDRA and run the Pro-Mod car. The Pro-Stock class is getting very weak and the car counts are down lately so look at that before you buy a car like that and it is dying out or not enuff cars to run a class but just bracket and I HATE bracket racing. In Pro-Mod, you can throw that P9R on there and go.

Car is looking good as well.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Brent Davis

Well today was a very good afternoon for me as well running my REVO more than the cars today though. I took this small video of the CD3 with the Kawahara tires and big block .21 on it. This is my same CD3 that can be easily swaped out to use the larger 1/8th scale tires to make it a 235mm screamer. The car is EXTREMELY fast guys. I will get some better videos with it running a full 400' strip soon with the 200mm body on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D07oJU6yBs

nitrorevo, yes the drag strip can be addicting man so be careful..
Old 02-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Over_revO

Thx for the vid Brent!

Now i cant wait to run mine man, its pretty fast! and look so much more stable than the 4tec lol

What is your gearing in this vid? I really like how it spool up.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:26 PM
nitrohead5300

Nice video Brent. But the car seems kinda loose . This loose condition may improve when it gets warmer outside, my foam tires always seem to grip better in warm weather. Been off the net for a while because my6 computor crashed again.[]
Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
nitrorevo

Brent, nice video. I thought you lost it and hit that car for a minute. It's very fast. I thought mine shift quick, when you punch it, it basically skip 1st gear. You know if Ofna or anyone makes heavier shift springs without having to buy the whole 2 speed setup? I'am using the heaviest one that came with the RS4 already.[X(]
Old 02-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: Over_revO

Thx for the vid Brent!

Now i cant wait to run mine man, its pretty fast! and look so much more stable than the 4tec lol

What is your gearing in this vid? I really like how it spool up.

Thanks Over_revo. The gearing is stock spurs and CB's. The engine is sooooo fast on spool-up that giving it more bottom end would be pointless. I just recieved my new aluminum gears but I am not going to touch the CB at all just yet. You get any pics of yours from this weekend?

Nitrohead, man don't scare me like that, I was wondering where one of my dawgs was at

The car hooks up pretty good for the cool street surface that I was on. It only got up to 62 degrees today but with some winds so that kept the street temps cool too. I really like the Kawahara tires especially that I can use my 200mm bodies so with some top end speed runs, I can get more speed without having the wider 235mm body on it. I was going to put the body on it today but I just ran it like it was to show all the .21 engine and the Kawahara tires. Oh, get more that one computer too.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: nitrorevo

Brent, nice video. I thought you lost it and hit that car for a minute. It's very fast. I thought mine shift quick, when you punch it, it basically skip 1st gear. You know if Ofna or anyone makes heavier shift springs without having to buy the whole 2 speed setup? I'am using the heaviest one that came with the RS4 already.[X(]

Thanks man, I wanna see some of you guys' cars as well. I just have to wait for warmer weather so I can go out to our local hang-out spot so I can open this thing up all the way. It is a screamer when it gets up on the engine though. I talked to Calvin and he said that you also did very well for your first time out there yesterday.......good job man.

Didn't you say you have some pics of yesterday's event?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Brent Davis

BTW guys, using my boat pipe makes the power even WORSE, that is why you see my 086 pipe on the car. The boat pipe gets up on the power waaaaaayyyy too soon and I'm afraid that it may actually hurt the motor. Kangaroo's are known to be one of the nastiest .21 engines that has been made but we all know that there are plenty of FAST, FAST .21 engines out there. I do know that the bigger 1/8th scale tires, the car hooks up better and also handles a little better than using the Kawaharas BUT I do like the way the car takes the Kawahara tires and with some Koford tire goop, I can make them work better than you see in the video. I also didn't go all the way up my street since one of my neighbors just had a newborn baby boy so I was trying to give them some respect as well.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 PM
nitrorevo

Thanks man, I wanna see some of you guys' cars as well. I just have to wait for warmer weather so I can go out to our local hang-out spot so I can open this thing up all the way. It is a screamer when it gets up on the engine though. I talked to Calvin and he said that you also did very well for your first time out there yesterday.......good job man.

Didn't you say you have some pics of yesterday's event?
Thanks man. The car made me look good. A guy asked me what I was running and who helped me set the car up. You should of seen is face when I said RS4 and nobody.[8D]

Calvin and his partners are good guys, they took me right in and I sucked up a bunch of info in a short period of time. They all have very fast cars and know their stuff. I can get really good running with them.

Honestly man I was so caught up in the excitement I forgot all about the camera till I was leaving. I had the radar as well and never pulled it out. Some guys had hit the boxes down the track for the speed, so it didn't register on the print out. I will get some video this week if we get the warmer temps, so you guys can see how the car runs. I need to get some tanks through the engine so it can loosen up and I can start to lean it out. Temps still around 200%, but I didn't wrap the head. I also ran without the body which was crazy, but the tires kept rubbing.

What does Trap MPH mean? Also, if you got any info on the shift spings that would help.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
nitrohead5300

Brent with all those monsters of horsepower you may want to consider mounting your own foam to your rims . I believe that the kawahara rear tires are 37-40 shore I think this maybe a little too hard now if you had some 35-30 shore I believe your rear end would not be so loose. Might check with kawahara to see if you could just buy the rims and buy some 30 shore unmounted foam from someplace else like CRC racing. That is what I used to do with my fusion I p;urchased rims from CRC Racing and glued on 30 shore foam trued the tires down to size ...maxiumn traction. Another possible fix for the loose rear end is to go with a softer shock spring and shock oil to increase traction.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Over_revO

Thats awsome,

you know what, i was a little lazy this weekend and just begun to fit the Kawahara body, still need to work on it, and i will wait to get all the parts for the car before doing any work on it, i dont want to have parts laying around lol

I already have the Jato disassembled , and the revo.

If Nitrohouse can get the parts that are backorder ill be able to work on it!![:@].

I also need to get my new tuned pipe, waiting for some news on it, if it take too long ill just get another 086 pipe.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 PM
RUSTYREVO

All i can say is tighten up. This .18 is a super freak, I mean she so nasty. race a true dragster a rail. and dude couldn't do nothing with me. ran a 2.3 on a very, very rich engine with stock .12 pipe and gearing. also took out majority of the stall it made the car stoy on the ground. After i raced the guy with the rail he got mad cause he go out performed by a heavier touring car, dude packed up all his stuff and took the ticket. I ran the 2.3 with a .662 reaction time and i had to let off the throttle at mid track to keep from hitting the wall. Dude was running a .21 on his rail i believe.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Brent Davis

Yeah Over_revo I hear you man. I guess it's best to wait until all your parts get there. Keep us posted.

nitrohead, yeah I have thought about the foams that can be installed on rims but man I got waaaay too many projects as it is so I will just have to make due with what I got.

Rustyrevo, who better tighten up? I got the same .18 TZ you got and trust me bra, it aint gonna touch a properly tuned .21 That guy didn't have something right at all because a dedicated .21 in a rail has been 1.33's and normal 1.5's all day long. Don't get me wrong, your 2.3's are FAST for a street car true dat but that guy definately had his chit screwed up. Here at Hollywood were we run our Pro-Mods, rails and some Pro-stock cars, the rails and Pro-Mods run as quick as 1.65 and as slow as 1.9's with the little .15 engined cars. We need to all hook up sometime. Calvin told me that the .15 was having issues so it was a wash for that. You guys got nitrorevo hooked now.....lol.

nitrorevo, man I don't know of any other springs to get because my springs are still the stock OFNA springs that I just tightened up a little bit.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 PM
nitrohead5300

brent when you wear all the foam of the rear kawahara rims send them to me and I will mount and true you some 30 shore foams.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 PM
nitrohead5300

Brent your tz .18 has been ported and has a 7mm carb in it right?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: nitrohead5300

brent when you wear all the foam of the rear kawahara rims send them to me and I will mount and true you some 30 shore foams.

You got it bro.

My .18 TZ has a larger carb than what it comes with and also ported by RBmods. In fact if someone needs a brand new, never ran .18 TZ carburetor, I have one sitting in my tool box. Oh it runs VERY well but there's no substitution for displacement, especially one that is tuned right. I am NEVER satisfied and always looking for more power. More fuel/air = more power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.