Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
maoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

In response to rroberto1, the T3.0 is an .18. If you wanted to drop an O.S. .18, look it up at towerhobbies.com. Type in the motor and it'll pop up along with what kind of engine mount and exhaust manifold that you need to do the conversion listed below the motor. Can't help u with the shift point though. Try emailing hpi for that. I don't know if they'll reply though b/c their support kind of sucks unlike other companies.

Hey ferrarimk13, I'm ordering the diablo .15 engine. I was wondering if I needed any engine mounts because the diagrams doesn't show if the base already has the mount holes that will fit my rs4 evo. You said that it should just drop right in?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
rroberto1

maoy: thanks for the reply. I was getting worried no one was going to answer. I appreciate all the help. Cheers!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
ferrarimk13

well, if you're getting the pullstart, you would need the 20mm engine mounts which are like 10 bucks, but when you get the engine, just see if it doesnt have the mounts already, you most likely will need it though, sorry i didnt tell you before, lol. but anyways, is it a standard shaft and are you using the stock clutch?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 PM
silverj

An easy way to identify the correct set screw to adjust your shiftpoint, look for the one that is at an angle relative to the housing!! One goes straight in the other is slightly angled, the angled one is the adjustment screw!!!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 AM
rroberto1

ok guys, took my car out again and tried adjusting the shift point...i tried, 1 turn out, 3 turns out, 5 turns and 6 turns out...still no shift...i took it apart and took a look at it and cleaned it, and it seemed looses so I shimmed it a bit to tighten it up.

Anyways, the car is performing ok....already ruined the stock tires that came with it...HOWEVER, the HSN needle is set RICHER then the break-in setting....if I try to lean it, at WOT it cuts out!? Im wondering if maybe it wont shift because the engine isnt leaned out enough and its not hitting the RPM needed to shift....? Anyways, has anyone else had this problem? I just dont understand why it runs so rich....seems like the engine may have something wrong with it?....your thoughts? Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
maoy

ferrarimk13, I'm using stock clutch and it's a standard shaft. Damn, I have to wait probably a week. I wanted to know to convert from a threaded shaft to a standard shaft, do I have to actually play with the motor and cut pieces of it off until I get it to the length I want?

rroberto1: If the engine is set richer than the stock break-in, the engine won't work properly. I had sort of the same problem but it was due to the rislone after-run oil that I used. This problem kept the car from shifting into second gear and I normally have to run out like a tank or two before the car can run properly. You can try setting the high speed needle back to flush and screw it in 1/2 of a revolution. This should set the engine to about 210 degrees or middle.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 AM
rroberto1

maoy: Thanks for your reply. Actually, today I went out and picked up the OS .18 CVRX, engine mounts, and screws. By the way, is there anything special I need to know about swaping in the OS . 18 CRVX? I hear its just basically a drop in type install. The guy at the lhs, mentioned that I might need to shorten the shaft?...i guess we'll see. But if theres nothing you can tell me about this install, let me know. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 AM
HeLLsGoD

You will need to cut off part of your diff casing/support because the pullstart unit will hit it and engine wont fit in. Abit of a pain to do but worth it in the end

No, you dont need to cut off the engine shaft at all. It will go straight in regarding you did get the standard shaft version of the engine
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 AM
rroberto1

hellsgood: I got this engine right here... http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=OSM18CVRX, im pretty sure its the right on.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 AM
HeLLsGoD

yeah thats the correct one. Now you just too cut bits of plastic off
Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 AM
rroberto1

sweet, again I appreciate the help....now I just have to find some tires that last....

Oh and I will be using the RD Logics pipe with the OS CVRX, hopefully that will make for a powerful combination.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 AM
ferrarimk13

yeah, itll be pretty good once broken in and everything, that pipe is good. Do you need to cut the diff casing for the .18tz too? Also, for the rear exhaust engine, does the manifold fit over the tire?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:09 PM
nitrors43
My Feedback: (1)

im getting ready to go to college so i took my r s 43 ss w/ .12R to the shop to get it tuned and running good, turns out ive been having a hard time starting it cause the head seal was bad, the flywheel was loose and the coller was shot and i burnt my piston sleve, soi got it tuned, bought a seal, machined flywheel, fuel bottle (6 bucks and it works better than my honemade one), some glow plugs, gallon of fuel (that was bad too) and now its good, all ive got to do is mess with the shift point. im also missing 70 bucks. at least its all ready to go and ill just be back for christmas to get the piston sleve replaced.

here som,e pics too:

Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
ferrarimk13

nice, driving at college, that sure will wake up your roomate, lol
Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
HeLLsGoD

Umm you will need to cut off the diff casing too for the 18TZ. I know the rear exhuast header for it has problems clearing 30mm foams... maybe some headers might fit better?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:26 PM
ferrarimk13

yeah, im running 30's in the back, so thats not good, and i would need a new manifold for my pipe, which would be stupid because i just bought the side exhaust.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:36 PM
HeLLsGoD

You can buy a different header aslong as it uses those 3 small springs.. Vantage sells seperate headers aswell.

You can use wheel spacers to try and clear the manifold from touching the tyres. It would affect the cars geometry a little though
Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 PM
ferrarimk13

yeah, i know, ill try to find a side exhaust legal engine
Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 PM
rroberto1

Guys! I need help fast. Im installing my OS.18CVRX and I have no idea how to install the flywheel and clutch system onto the new engine? I took the strange little flywheel off the OS and proceeded to install the collet/washer, then tried to put the flywheel on with the screw from my T3.0 engine....what im curious about is, there are 2 small flat areas on the OS's shaft and nothing grips onto that? Im really confused....please help! show me some pics if possible!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:15 PM
HeLLsGoD

Umm heres how it goes, i hope you got the right shaft version of the engine:

When you first get the engine there should be a nut and a big washer covering the shaft (which u take off).... Collet slips into the shaft then the flywheel ontop of it then clutch nut

I dont understand what you mean by 2 flat areas, can u take a photo
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM
rroberto1

Yup, thats exactly what I did...guess I was just worrying it was wrong. But once I swapped all the parts off of the old engine onto the new one, I realized that all was good! I thought for a second, there needed to be something that slips onto the 2 flat spots on the shaft. Sorry I cant take a pic because I already installed it all. And yes, I got the right engine. I got the one with the standard shaft. It was a quick learning curve I suppose. Everything is good now! Thanks for the quick reply though.

By the way, what tires do you recommend for parking bashing? I already fried the "vintage" wheels and tires...i just bought new hpi rims with super radials (apparently good tread life) which cost like $70 bucks CAN (which I knew was a rip off but I bought them anyways).

here are a couple pics of my RS4 Evo, stock then with the new Toyota body and rims. I painted the Toyota body to match my Toyota FJ Cruiser!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 PM
savage haley 14

does anyone want to buy my rs4 3 18ss 170$
Old 08-09-2007, 12:57 AM
rroberto1

Just one question about the 2 speed. How should I set the 2 screws? I did it as per the manual, but it still wouldnt shift. How should the set screw (the one that doesnt set the shift timing -the one in the centre of the hole) need to be set? Tight? middle?

Right now I have the shift screw set to 3 turns out and the other screw is set in the middle of the 2 speed casing.

please help!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:57 AM
maoy

rroberto1: Hey, 4get the stock clutch. Switch to the racing clutch, here's the link: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLW03&P=7, you can also get it from your LHS. They should most likely have it. My buddy told me that the stock one sucks compare to this one.

One question, what's the difference between the threaded and standard crankshaft? Isn't it the same? The O.S. .18 TZ has a threaded crankshaft, I was thinking shouldn't it be the same as the standard.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM
rroberto1

maoy: what is the difference between the racing clutch and the stock one? Will is just have better bite for acceleration?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.