Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

ORIGINAL: Car-Boy

I'm using the clutch right now. Man, did it make a good improvement on my launch. It's a great upgrade for your money. I have been using the HPI racing clutch and flywheel and now I feel like I have been wasting my time and money on that junk. But this Buku, is awesome even when I use my high speed gears (37/41 spurs) the launch is still great. I can still dragrace with this gearing along with this clutch.

But.... If you are using a short shaft on your engine like I am on my pullstart 18tz, Buku will have to make you an adapter to make the clutch fit on your shaft.

Next I think of purchasing the pipe.

Thanks for the info on the Buku &the short shaft engines.. Iwas going to drop an OS 18tz into mine that Ihave been holding onto the last couple of months.. Not sure what motor still to go with though.. But Ifor sure want to try out a Buku Clutch &pipe..
Old 12-10-2011, 05:22 AM
brakes940

My RS4 Evo 3+ RTR with the Camaro Body and HPI Mesh Wheels 3mm offset.

Completely stock. Took out the rotorstart and replaced it with pullstart. The location of the rotostart is really close to the suspension spring and the shaft ate it up after a while.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52906.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1697966  
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 AM
illestrolla

Having some issues with my RS4 and wondering if anyone else has any suggestions as this seems to be the place to come!

I picked the car up second hand, spur gears were eaten up....no big deal, replaced them with OEM parts, now I find that one of the screws that holds the engine in place has been stripped out.

I figure the engine came loose, gears lost mesh and just ate eachother up as the pinions are metal and the spurs are a composite IIRC.

So now im here with 1 stripped mount hole on the engine, any suggestions?

Possible to tap it out to a larger size? ik that would require drilling the chassis too which isnt a huge deal, just dont want this engine coming loose anymore and eating gear.

Any suggestions would be great! the car is like new and I really don't want to replace the engine at this point.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Car-Tune

I've ran my car with 3 engine screws under the chassis. Just use threadlock.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM
illestrolla

ORIGINAL: Car-Boy

I've ran my car with 3 engine screws under the chassis. Just use threadlock.

I had them snugged with red loc tite previous, thats when they came loose again and I found the one stripped

Old 12-14-2011, 10:14 AM
illestrolla

Seems like they like to come loose quite often from the torque from the engine, how often are you guys finding you have to snug them up and reapply thread lock?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
bigeye

Or try to mount engine mounts. I got it this way so on 8 screws. No way it will loosen up.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM
FastRS4s
My Feedback: (2)

When i had my t3.0 on my rs4 they rarly came loose...and i didn't even use loc tite...after a few runs i always just put the screw driver to it to check them to make sure...never had any issues..

Have you checked your bearings in the motor?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
illestrolla

ORIGINAL: bigeye

Or try to mount engine mounts. I got it this way so on 8 screws. No way it will loosen up.
Curious as to where to find these mounts/which ones people use

Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 PM
illestrolla

ORIGINAL: FastRS4s

When i had my t3.0 on my rs4 they rarly came loose...and i didn't even use loc tite...after a few runs i always just put the screw driver to it to check them to make sure...never had any issues..

Have you checked your bearings in the motor?

The car had a torn exhaust coupler when i got it, everything was soaked in fuel, so I doubt the Loc tite held well. Could be why it kept coming loose

As far as gettign into the engine, I have not taken it apart, what would checking the bearings accomplish?

I appologize for being a rookie with these questions but im new to the whole RCscene, are we talking like main bearings for the crank?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:05 PM
FastRS4s

Yea the main bearing for the crank...if they are bad or going bad they will cause your crank to no be balanced causing excessive vibration...if you take the clutch assembly and flywheel off and check for any shaft play/movement...to check the other one inside the motor, i would take the other side of the motorpart to actually see inside the motor...then check for play. If the guy before you ran itlean you could easily burn up those bearings...btw, this is worst case.....if i just got a car, i usually will take the motor off, and spray it down with brake cleaner to get all the crap off of it...i'd also spray brake cleaner in the screw hole and blow them out with air right after...that way i have a nice and dry clean hole....cause if you have alot of vibration, having a hole thats coated in oil/gas won't hold for long....as for your striped hole, i would try and find a slightly bigger standard screw, and drill and re tap...

The engine mounts can be found on hpi's site....if this were my car i wouldn't put the mounts on...as you have to set gear messto where the holes under the motor set the prefect gear mess no matter what.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
illestrolla

ORIGINAL: FastRS4s

Yea the main bearing for the crank...if they are bad or going bad they will cause your crank to no be balanced causing excessive vibration...if you take the clutch assembly and flywheel off and check for any shaft play/movement...to check the other one inside the motor, i would take the other side of the motorpart to actually see inside the motor...then check for play. If the guy before you ran itlean you could easily burn up those bearings...btw, this is worst case.....if i just got a car, i usually will take the motor off, and spray it down with brake cleaner to get all the crap off of it...i'd also spray brake cleaner in the screw hole and blow them out with air right after...that way i have a nice and dry clean hole....cause if you have alot of vibration, having a hole thats coated in oil/gas won't hold for long....as for your striped hole, i would try and find a slightly bigger standard screw, and drill and re tap...

The engine mounts can be found on hpi's site....if this were my car i wouldn't put the mounts on...as you have to set gear messto where the holes under the motor set the prefect gear mess no matter what.
will do this tonight, thanks for the insight man, I have built full size cars for years, insane how small this stuff is.

Im willing to bet the loctite didn't hold as the engine was all gummed up and greasy ect ect.

I will tear it all down when im home tonight!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Andyjk

Thought you guys might be interested in this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZc55dpb9ak[/youtube]
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM
bclong211

I am about to sell a couple of rs4 nitros I've had sitting around for a while and thought I'd see if anyone here was interested before putting them in the fs thread. I have a vette and a stang that are brand new never opened. They are the 09 models just before they released them with the 2.4 radio system. I will entertain reasonable offers- just saw the new ones on eBay for 379.00 plus shipping. I would like to find these a happy home so make me an offer! Vette is black and stang is metallic blue.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
mtz57

i hope this thred is not dead no one has posted in a year. anyway i am about to get a evo and want to know the diff gears setups is there a cheat sheet for dif set ups for longer or shorter tracks?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 AM
FastRS4s

Theres only 2 set ups with diff gears...the one that is stock in the evo and then theres the MT, which has a taller gear set.

You can also get a locked front diff.

This thread isn't dead, just no body post on it, but i always have an eye on it...
Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 PM
mtz57

man thats not cool i have the mt gears but that is way to tall for my liking i cant belive the have only those two gears. the orignal rs4 and rs4 2 has like 6 or 7 that i know of.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 AM
FastRS4s

Wait a minute...are you talking about the SPUR gears and/or PINION gears? The diff gears i am talking about are the bevel gears inside the gear boxes.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
AutoXRacer943

Alright, I ain't reading 226 pages... lol :P

I did skim through and read about OS18TZ, OS18SS, T3, and .15s...

I need to buy a new engine... Iam really not looking to do 100mph or even 70 mph... How do you guys control those darn cars at that speed!!! I got trouble with a worn out .12 motor with 2 speed... LOL

Anyway, I am looking for something bolt on... Of course I would like something dependable, easy to tune/stay tuned, etc... Just looking for something fun.
I was told the T3 engine is great and that it was the last engine to come in the RS4s...
If I went with a T3 from an original .12 engine, are there any mods Iwould have to get to make it work; engine mount, manifold, etc...?

Thanks for all the help...

And on a side note, I went to my local hobby shop, he was telling me that nitro cars are no longer the hot ticket!!! That electric is the top dog now. Is this true!!??
When I was a kid and racing electric, I always wished for nitro... 20 yrs later I am messing around with an old RS4 EVO and think its the best thing since slice bread...to just now tell me electric is the greatest... sigh

I'm going to be looking for something versatile, 1/2 on-road 1/2 off-road just to have fun with and not worry about terrain. Seems like I'll be going electric... sigh
Really wanted nitro... :-/
Anything you guys recommend?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Car-Tune

What I'm using on my rs4 is an os18Tz Drops right in but you will need a rear header and possibly engine mounts.

Electric is kicking butt. I disliked it till I bought a LiPo battery for my sons Sprint 2 flux and it is a beast. The nice part about electric all you do is plug your battery and switch car and remote on and GO!!!
Now with nitro. It kind of sucks having to carry glow plug igniter, fuel, starter box, remote and lets not forget batteries. Tune your engine and adjust your shifting from 1st to 2nd. But I still love my nitro listening the engine rev and the gears shift. Electric cant do that.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 AM
AutoXRacer943

What would be the difference between the T3 and the OS18TZ...?

What is a rear header? Right now, my .12R engine has a forward routed manifold/header.
What kind of engine mounts? Different from the RS4 ones?

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 AM
Car-Tune

Well if youre using a starter box you will need shorter engine mounts. Rear header is the exhaust manifold that comes out from the back of the motor. HPI stock engines have side header, which comes out the right side of the engine.

I will have to look into the T3, I don't know what that is. What company makes the T3?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 AM
AutoXRacer943

No, I am currently pull start... sigh

The T3 is the latest HPI engine they put in the RS4s... I believe its rated to 2.2HP.
I figured it has to be an upgrade from my .12R engine...although, truthfully, that engine is plenty fast for me... I can't control the car as it is... lol
The only issue I have is that its worn out and I can get it tuned for wide open throttle...it chokes or something.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM
FastRS4s

the t3 he's talking about is the T3.0....they also have a G3.0

The t3.0 is a great motor. compared the the .18tz....well..the os tz will win everytime...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 PM
FLoJo
My Feedback: (1)

Hey all , could really use some help .. Ive looked at all the differnt RS4 versions and cant figure for life of me which one it is . Also like a dum noob i messed witht he 2 speed set screw becuase now i dont see anything in there and dont kno which one to buy to replace it .. Im guessing its the screw with spring and ball but im not sure dont want to put somthing in there without knowing what supposed to go in there . Here is some pics of it . TIA

Also how she looks with this Zonda body I just painted for it and added some LED's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.