Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

HPI RS4 EVO + Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM
200MPH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI RS4 EVO + Upgrades

Does anyone know a good place to shop chassis upgrades for my HPI Mustang? Day 2 and I have been run over by a Savage X. Bent my chassis plate, broke my engine brace, broke my throttle linkage. I am mainly interested in carbon fiber upgrades and am curious what options I have for the baseplate. I can straighten the stock one out, but I'm not impressed with how soft the metal is....looking for something more durable. Appreciate any links you can provide. Please save your "dont play with Savage" comments.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:41 PM
somerenegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI RS4 EVO + Upgrades

Ebay is a great place to look for parts. The RS4 EVO is basically the same as the RS4 RTR 3 aside from upgrades to the engine, drivetrain and 2 speed transmission. Searching "RS4 3" will bring up more results than searching "RS4 Evo". I don't think I've seen a carbon fiber chassis for the RS4 but there are several options for aluminum. HPI makes one from 7075 aluminum, this will be pretty expensive. GPM makes one from 7075 aluminum and offers 2 thicknesses in 6061 aluminum, 3mm and 4.5mm. The GPM 3mm chassis (in 6061 aluminum) is gonna be the cheapest and I've seen one from a seller in Canada going for around $30 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GPM-Alloy-Main-C...item3a5a189f7d

Ebay is your best bet for price and availability. Overseas sellers are pretty solid, 1/10 purchases I've had to contact the seller for a missing item. That's why I linked this Canadian seller.

You can get a carbon fiber upper deckorwoven graphiteupper deck which adds to the overall stiffness of the car. The HPI upgrade (woven graphite) requires the use of a 5 cell flat pack battery which can be both good and bad. Good because you don't have to replace any batteries, which can be a pain with the way the batteries are held on with the carbon fiber deck. Bad if you don't have a charger or a 5 cell flat pack which will be another $40-50. I havehad both options butI'm not sure you will be able to find the carbon fiber upper deck (mine was from hot bodies). However they both stiffen the chassis and look pretty sweet..especially withan upgraded aluminum chassis. Hope this helps!