Community
Search
Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

Tank Speed Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 AM
elsener

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Speed Control

Hello,

I am currently working on a small scale robotics project involving tank tread steering. I am using an independent brushless motor for each tread. However I am trying to find a dual motor brushless speed control capable of providing one stick control of the robot including forward and reverse. The motors are small so they will pull less than 10 amps. Can anybody provide any hints on finding a speed control that is capable of this?? I have seen dual brushed motor speed controls but I desire the low maintenance and zero break in qualities of brushless motors. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Stefan
Old 01-30-2008, 06:41 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Tank Speed Control

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/RL-IMX1.html + ESCs of your choice.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:06 AM
astroboycp

Take a look at Dimension Engineering. They have some cool esc there.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 PM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use brushed motors in RC tanks because we need the low end torque, not the high speeds. There is a lot of good info on custom electronics in the RC Tank forum on this board. The best boards are being built by Elmod. Run a google search to find their German website. I am using the RC tank platforms to learn about the electronics, radios, servos and how to build custom tracked bases so I carry that over to robotics.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
grumble09

Hi Guys!
I'm basically on the same mission as you! trying to figure out how i can autonomously control an RC HengLong Pershing tank using something like a picaxe or arduino microchip. From what i can gather, trying to run the motors off of a microprocessor board would draw too many amps for the board to handle.

Am i right in thinking that i can use some kind of H-bridge circuit to run the motors, controlled by the microcontroller? i have seen a couple that i think may be suitable, that are rated in the 10A region. does that sound about right?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:07 AM
grumble09

after a wee bit o research and help from some nice guys over in the tank forum, i know know a little bit more about how esc's are implemented in a circuit.............http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8514664/tm.htm this is a thread i started over in the tank room, one guy has posted a basic schematic for an arduino controlling a 4wd setup.....interesting and relevant!

cheers
chris