Community
Search
Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

Toy robots this year?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy robots this year?

Has anyone else tried any of the different Wifi-enabled camera-bots that are pretty new this year?

I just picked up the Erector one discounted, built it up, left off all the extras like the arms and legs... what a bunch of sheer gimmickry, they don't move or serve any actual purpose other than making it top heavy, anyways, it took me a while to get it to work properly over the 'net, used a portscan to find what ports it used, so I could bypass their service altogether and connecting to it directly (normally you have to connect to this thing by registering at their website and then going through their website).

Anyways once I get everything figured out, it works pretty well, you can drive it around your house, play with the pets, etc., all during lunch hour at work. It has a 'docking' station for recharging and an auto-dock feature that works pretty well. I wouldn't buy this for full price, but I'm pretty happy with it, seems pretty stable, I just wish it had more functionality.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Toy robots this year?

Sounds extremely interesting! My I ask:

- What model robot did you get? Is it the Spykee? I know they were supposed to be available for a while but they were hard to find.
- How did you get it discounted? Ebay or something sim?
- I have wanted to look into robots for some time, so any info about how you determined the way to access your robot over the web would be mouch appreciated.

Thanks!...Chris
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM
astroboycp

Any pictures? How is it comparable to Hitec's Robonova?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Access

No, this is much more toy-ish (vs. 'hobby' grade).

To access it over the router, you just need to open up ports 9000, 9001 for TCP/UDP, point them at the robot's IP address, which should be fixed by the DHCP server when it identifies the robot's MAC ID. Then find your IP addess in the router's data, run the Spykee console on any computer connected to the internet and enter that IP address in the remote field.