Notices
RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots Discuss autonomous and radio control robots and anything related to robotics in here

RC 'Robot' Modular Base construction

Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
VolgClawtooth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC 'Robot' Modular Base construction

Repostying here instead of controllers as Iencountered an post which makes me think this is the better forum to ask in.

Irun a small 'robot' competition at various Sci-Fi Conventions ( http://www.greenemyst.com/critters.html ) where Iallow up to 6 teams to build robots with my largish LEGOcollection. Currently I use 3 LEGOFMRCbases and 3 LEGOIR RC bases.
The FM RCbases can power the LEGO5292 RC Motor ( electronic specs 9v 3.2Apeak draw (stalled), 160mA draw (no-load) -source: http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm ). The IRbases have much less powerful motors builtin to the ir bases. This puts latecomers at a further disadvantage as they only have a 4 hour build session to begin with. So I'm searching for an alternative, cheap as Idon't make any money off this and don't want to be strung up by the wife for letting someone trash a couple hundred dollars of RC electronics. I'm considering the HK-T6A-M1(https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...x_%28Mode_1%29 ) and Ibelieve I'll need some Electronic speed controllers to drive 1-2 of the LEGO 5292 RCmotors per channel (Max config, Iactually expect most times it will be 1 motor/channel). Given I'm trying to go cheap, what ESC would be recommended and how many should Ibe obtaining for each base? The motor outputs wil be getting wired to standard LEGO brick electrical connections.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM
dknovick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC 'Robot' Modular Base construction

ORIGINAL: VolgClawtooth

Repostying here instead of controllers as I encountered an post which makes me think this is the better forum to ask in.

I run a small 'robot' competition at various Sci-Fi Conventions
Cool!

Would this TX/RX combo even work?
As far as I can see, it should be fine.

Will the receiver run off the same batteries as the motors?
technically, yes. You will need a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) to drop the voltage down to 5-6V. This can be a separate piece, or built into the ESC

Do I need one ESC per motor output?
typically, an ESC can only control one motor, so if you want to be able to control two motors independently, you will need two ESCs
You might be able to find a dual h-bridge that you can run from a RX output.

Do I need separate battery packs for each ESC?
You shouldn't as long as your battery can supply enough power for everything (ESCs, receiver, etc.)

and it looks like 8-AA for the TX

-Dave