Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

noob with a Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

noob with a Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:01 PM
fux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob with a Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho

Hi everybody,

as for title I am a noob with a Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho. I never have drive a "serious" RC car but I am very much fascinated by rock crawlers so I decided to go for this purchase. My question is: apart from what I could or could not find in blogs, is there anything I need to know on how to get started?and is my purchase appropriate in your opinion?

CHeers
Old 10-01-2014, 06:33 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great choice! Its wildly customizable with it being scale u can make it look how u want.
Of u can go ahead and get the link kit. The wheelbase is 12.3" its like 70$ and well worth it, or u can do what I did and gut a couple old airguages and slide the tube part over the rear links so there's no axle twist.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1412216963245.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2036622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1409019695262.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2036623  
Old 10-01-2014, 06:37 PM
zackS30

What else would u like to know? As u can see I have a honcho
Old 10-02-2014, 12:47 AM
fux

Cool thanks, I guess I have made the right chocie then! My god they are going to deliver it to me in ONE HOUR!!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 AM
fux

I guess my question is if there is anywhere a good tutorial of the basics such as set up, explaining the different parts etc etc thanks for the reply anyways!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:23 PM
nitro stan

rccrawler.com
Old 10-02-2014, 03:39 PM
fux

Thanks. I took it for the first ride today!AMAZING crawling skills! One thing I noticed though is that two tires are already slightly bent, is this normal?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:53 PM
RustedRC

Not sure what you mean by slightly bent? did you make sure the wheel nut has not loosened up a bit. some times on a RTR you have to go through and make sure all the nuts, bolts and screws are tight. don't over tight just snugged up so they don't come loose when on the trail.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 PM
zackS30

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/
Like rusted said. Make sure ur wheel nuts are tight. You'll round off the hexes if they aren't tight.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:31 PM
nitro stan

wheels probably wrapped, iv got a few axial wheels that dont roll true
Old 10-05-2014, 11:56 AM
zackS30

I guess the foams in ur tires could bhave shifted. The foams in my wraith with Baja claws shift and make the tires roll weird. Massage them back to normal and when ur not driving it out something under it to keep the tires off the ground.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:48 PM
jackripped

I have several crawlers and the scx is my fav, I have 2 of these one is a crawler and one is set up for MUD !
Very reliable truck, very tough truck, very authentic scale design, one of the best out there.
You will love your new truck. If you want to see what its really capable of, go and google RC.SPARKS videos on utube and watch it eat the mud !
Old 10-05-2014, 04:56 PM
RustedRC

yes go on youtube and watch it. i think iv'e seen all his vids and they got me started in the trail truck/rock crawler hobby. the trail vids are the best IMO!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM
fux

GUUUUYYYSSSSS

my first incident!!! basically I was crawling around and after I finished the Y bar holding the front wheels popped out. Problem is that I popped it back in but now when I am steering all the way left or right the axle bounces a bit!!! but it seems like everything is in place I don't know what to do!!

HEEEEEEEELLLPPP
Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 PM
zackS30

The axle bounces? If they Y link in the front came out I assume u mean the | part of the y not the V part? Its a screw and a spacer that is connecting that to the axle.maybe u lost the spacer?
Its a black tube about 6-8mm long that is at the end of the | part, ur box should have came with spare parts and there should be some in it.
Sorry for the late reply.
The main thing I've noticed about the scx10 is the wheel nuts coming loose, BLUE locktite. Fixes it nice.
Also the ripsaw tires are actually some of the best. I still have mine handy however I replaced with axial 8hole beadlocks and proline super swamped tsl xl. They r awesome.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:52 PM
fux

Thank you so much I will have a look today!!
Old 10-18-2014, 01:07 PM
zackS30

Anytime
Old 10-19-2014, 08:18 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fux
I guess my question is if there is anywhere a good tutorial of the basics such as set up, explaining the different parts etc etc thanks for the reply anyways!
tough question, the list of possible mods is huge.
My suggestions:
1) drive the truck stock. It has limitations but is a very capable rig. Try it in different places, loose dirt, mud, mild rocks, hardcore rocks, loose rocks, sand ect. Note where it does good and where it has limitations.
2) now begin the most common and basic mods:
Upgrade the steering servo. the stock one gets the job done, but there are servos with much more torque and that are metal geared.

Upgrade the steering linkage. the stock linkage is plastic and can flex to save the stock servo from damage. if the wheels are against a rock the linkage will flex when you try to turn. over time, they start to wear out and flex even more.

Add weight. Not just anywhere tho, to the axles or wheels. you can remove the wheels by taking off the bead lock rings. Then you can wrap the rim with lead solder wire. There are also lead stick-on weights you can use there, or on the axle's housing or the servo. Adding weight aids traction and gets the center of gravity lower. most add more weight to the front axle than the rear.

Cut the wheel foams. under the tire is a foam support. You can cut a gear pattern into the foam, which will let the tires flex more and grab the rocks better.

Those are the best starting mods. The only other one, and this will depend on where you drive most, is using lower gearing or a higher turn motor. the stock motor and gearing are "all around" use. On tougher rocks, the gearing is a bit too high causing the motor to sometimes stall out as well as run hot. The truck may even come with a smaller pinion gear for you to use. again, depends on where you prefer to drive it.

After those things, then it gets down to suspension. there are many different shocks, shock setups, and linkages. You can change the wheelbase length, run hi-clearance suspension links, use shock towers that will allow you to adjust the ride height and much more. But there is no need to mess with this stuff until you have done the more basic mods and gotten used to how the truck runs and drives as it is.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:23 PM
zackS30

Holy hell nitro! Nailed it!
All I've done is added weight to my wheels, new wheels/tires, made the rear links stronger with a home remedy, got a new hitec 645mg in it. Its not been used yet though its sat for 2 months now damn wraith lol.