Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
vicious-peanut
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Hey everyone I am buying a WK tomorrow and was wondering how much I can extend the wheelbase (I only want 11.5) without needing to get new driveshafts?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:47 PM
s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: learning2crawl

Dude,
How come you have the lower arms on the outside of the chassis? What I did when I stretched mine is get some 4/40 screws,lock nuts,aluminum tubing. Put the lower arms inside the chassis put screws in from outside through chassis than through lower arms top off with lock nut. After you have both sides done measure for the aluminum tubing from lock nut to lock nut.( dont trim down screws they will be covered by tubing) Cut tubing, back screws out place tubing in (get rid of the plastic spacer). It looks great and you don't have anything hanging off the side of the chassis. The E-Max body looks sweeet......... Check out the 72 chevy body by proline, they show it in the March 2008 issue,,,,swwwweeeetttttttt..........
i just didnt feel like cutting the plastic brace inside and it didnt really bother me enough to change it. eventually im going to make a skid plate to go over it anyway so it wont even be visible[8D]. thanks for the comment about the emaxx body. i am going to get one for the king pretty soon. im thinking of a jeep rubicon or a f150 painted the same as my 1:1 f150. if you havent noticed, im a ford guy lol[8D]
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: vicious-peanut

Hey everyone I am buying a WK tomorrow and was wondering how much I can extend the wheelbase (I only want 11.5) without needing to get new driveshafts?
Not much... the splined part of the stock inner drive shaft is only about 3/4" long. the gap stock is what, 1/4"? so that would only leave 1/2" inside the outer shaft in stock form.... so the max you could extend it would be about 1/4", and even that would be pushing it. It wouldnt even be worth the work.... The T-maxx shafts you need to extend the wheelbase are only $8.00 for the pair, part # 4951X, you just reuse the stock output shafts.....

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1
if you havent noticed, im a ford guy lol[8D]
That's OK, we wont hold it against you....

The body does look nice though...
Old 01-19-2008, 01:08 AM
s7jstep1

thanks lol
Old 01-19-2008, 08:11 PM
vicious-peanut

Well, I got my WK. I've been having a blast with it. The ESC seems to be a weak link however, with normal driving it doesn't get hot but with slow speed and alot of reverse and crawling it gets pretty hot huh?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:20 PM
learning2crawl

The Wheely King is a great truck... Congrads...... Wait till you get some minor mod's....Awesome.... I fried my ESC within the first week...... I am now running the Rooster..... Going to convert over to brushless soon.... Again congrats and enjoy... Stock 1 st thing you can do with no cost is reverse tread pattern... Flip the tires around it will give it a better bite......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51059.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	855426  
Old 01-19-2008, 08:42 PM
vicious-peanut

Yep, I flipped the front tires and removed the rear brace. Lifts that left front like crazy now! lol

The ESC thing seems common over on rccrawler too so when it goes I'll just get a waterproof one.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:47 AM
dacaur

Set up a little computer fan to blow on the ESC, that will stop it from shutting down and extend the life of the ESC by keeping it cooler.
Flipping the front tires may give it a little more traction, but in my opinion looks really dumb... I laugh every time I see it...
Old 01-20-2008, 03:25 AM
s7jstep1

yeah, im probably just going to get some moabs for mine
Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
RCminded

What ever you do don't try a 3 cell lipo on it because all your other batteries are dead and you still want to run. If you do you will probably experience magic smoke loss like I did.[X(]
Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
vicious-peanut

That sucks. I know the stock ESC doesnt even put up with 7 cells well at all.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 PM
s7jstep1

i only put my stock esc into thermal shutdown twice with the stock motor. thats about all its good for
Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
makoshark2006

Hell yea!! I found the body That I wanted to use form the start! the Proline muscle 2.0. Im still trying to figure out why they discontinued this body.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 AM
makoshark2006

Wheelie King

Name:	Ca80685.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	860311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58976.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	860312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30675.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	860313  
Old 01-26-2008, 12:11 PM
rc monkey

Can anyone with a Wheely King please take a measurement for me. I want to know the width of a WK axle from stub axle to stub axle (see picture if you don't know what I mean)

Thanks

Name:	Db84709.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	861504  
Old 01-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Neverdone

Has anyone ever built a four link suspension on their Wheely King Crawler? I Have my wheely King modified and I am still using the three link but would like to change to a four link but am not sure how to do it. Any advice?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very common to do a 4 link set up
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM
dacaur

My first question is, Why? In the full size crawling world, the only reason (other than personal preference) to use a 4 link over a 3 link are strength and ease. A three link puts more stress on a single point of the axle than a 4 link does, and its easier to weld two brackets to an axle and use 2 straight upper links than it is to build a wishbone upper link. Look at the full size rock crawling world and you will see plenty of each. Those 2 problems (strength and ease of building) dont transfer down to rc scale, in fact at our scale its usually easier to build a proper 3 link than a 4 link. That's not to say that one is better than the other. Both can be equally good when properly set up. And thats the key, proper setup. A leaf spring setup will crawl better than a poorly setup link system.
A lot of people set up a "sort of" 4 link as seen in post 11 of this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6028160 . Technically though this is still a 3 link, if a floppy one. A much better setup is the one seen in post 22, or just a rod extending the stock upper link, though this still allows a small amount more flex than a whole new solid upper arm. if you really really want a 4 link, you can do like in post 11 but rigidly attach the metal part the links are attached to to the axle rather than using the stock ball in the socket, or just remove the mount completely and fab up a new mount with points to mount two links, though doing so could make the situation worse by allowing flex. Also the further apart you mount the links, the less triangulation you have, less triangulation means a greater chance of the axle moving side to side. Think about this, you cant get more triangulated than a 3 link....
Old 01-28-2008, 01:22 AM
Neverdone

OK so maybe the four link is a bad idea then..... The other thing I was looking at was changing the shocks to one with a longer stroke and changing the mount location to get better travel. I have a set of shocks from my savage and was looking at using those. Good idea or bad? Also I have weighted my front tires using stick on airplane weights. I put 6 ounces in each front wheel is that enought or should I put in more?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:52 PM
rc monkey

ORIGINAL: rc monkey

Can anyone with a Wheely King please take a measurement for me. I want to know the width of a WK axle from stub axle to stub axle (see picture if you don't know what I mean)

Thanks
Can someone help me please? I need to know how wide the axle is to see if I can use WK axles in a project.......
Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM
broncobill
My Feedback: (11)

Thanks
Can someone help me please? I need to know how wide the axle is to see if I can use WK axles in a project.......

9-1/4" from outside of each stub axle. Give or take a very small amount.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM
tmaxx_man87

just ordered a wk from tower!! what should be the first mod except locking rears??
Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 PM
dacaur

flip the chassis around... then stretch the wheelbase/move steering servo to axle....
Old 01-30-2008, 08:21 PM
tmaxx_man87

thanks, i ordered mohabs, axial beedlocks, 15tpinion gear also to go with it... i was going to order the aluminum tubing from tower also but i figured it would be cheaper to use arrows... i already have tmaxx axels, and tmaxx rod ends..will tmaxx rod ends work?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Sunny_B

Sounds good. You might look for a 96 t spur because the 15t pinion will not fit to the stock spur. Not enought adjustment slot available.
Sunny_B

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.