Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
 OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD >

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL WHEELY KING CRAWLER THREAD

LOL... Yea I was all over the place.. My wife was sick of it to and thought she would decide for me. So whats the first thing I need to do? How do you flip the chassy? Any links on things I should do at first? I know the HPI site to extend but what else. Give me a list. I need things to do for the next couple of months since I'm having knee surgery on the 19th. Thanks guys
Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 AM

go to rccrawler.com and look around, i just made a widow chassis tonight, i made it from a 3$ cutting board from wal mart, all i used was a dremel and a drill, it turned out pretty good so far ill prably work on the braces and stuff a little tomorrow before work, i should have it done by monday or tues... ill post pics asap
Old 02-16-2008, 01:06 AM

here it is, its wb is almost 14' i need to fix that, it has tons of torq swist and idk why but the axles arnt straight with the frame... everything mesures straight... any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49625.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	879945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99259.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	879946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88737.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	879947  
Old 02-20-2008, 04:33 PM

Shorten your links and find some shorter shocks. Right now your shocks lay down so much they barely do anything.

I finished my servo mount. If anyone knows how to upload stuff so that anyone can print it at 1:1 I would be more than happy to make some templates.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:10 AM

thats looks super strong, mines junk, i made it from 22ga steel and that was waaay to thin, it bends all the time i ordered 2 of them from rcguy so that should fix my prablem, btw i said the heck with the widow and went back to the regular chassis, i tried everything and it wouldnt work...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:26 PM

Its pretty sturdy indeed. I tightened the screws with my thumbnail (just to mock it up) and even then the servo wouldn't budge. It should work nice when I get some 2/3A cells on the side of it.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey everyone, I've been enjoying my WK but have a question. Anyone else's only crawl forward (like 1mph) after driving through water but reverse is still fast? Forward comes back to full speed after like 10 seconds. I guess the ESC has to dry or something?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Dude,
Not waterproof electronics. I hope you have put your esc in a ballon and wrapped your reciever as well. Also stock servo not waterproof either. If none of these things have been done you should go out and buy a lottery ticket. Traxxas makes waterproof servo's and there are many ways to waterproof the stock one. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I know it isn't waterproof, I haven't submerged it or anything. Wrap the ESC? It already gets WAY too hot, so I'm not gonna wrap it in rubber....
Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM

I have't driven mine through water yet...soon though. I have switched over to the waterproof traxxas servo when I did the axle mounted servo. Next I want to go with a brushless motor with a waterproof esc and reciever. This will make it a sub. The guys at the local hobby shop said to wrap electronics with a ballon. I have heard other people doing this as well, so it must work. I don't know how much heat the balloon will actually hold in. The stock esc does have a thermal switch in it so you wont hurt anything to try it.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:22 AM

I have a quick question about the WK with no electronics. Does it come with an ESC? Hpi's site and towerhobbies have conflicting info and it isnt clear if it does or not. I hope to get into the crawling world with a WK so any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Racer Man, No ESC at all, No electronics at all.

Hope that helps
Old 02-24-2008, 11:39 AM

I purchased the servo mount by Mico Engineering to place my servo on the front axle of my Wheely King Crawler. I have 2 problems: (1) I see no way to connect the stock linkages with this mount. I can't even see a method to install different linkages due to the low position of the servo arm. (2) The right front knuckle assembly hits the mount restricting it's travel decidedly. I could use some help perferably with picks on how to install these linkages. Thanks.
Sunny_B
Old 02-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Its not an RCguy mount but low similar to yours..

The links are carbonfibre arrow shafts. the mount was made by me.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38322.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	887369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26835.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	887370  
Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

I finished my servo mount. If anyone knows how to upload stuff so that anyone can print it at 1:1 I would be more than happy to make some templates.
What type of file do you need uploaded? I have a site that can host it (and then post a link here) if you can email it to me. That way, it will be available to all.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:26 PM

I have the same servo mount from RC GUY. I am using some of the stock links. You have to rotate the shock mounts. Put the links on the inside of the mounts and the shocks where the links were. If you do it the other way around your shocks will end up binding. I'll post some pic's for you later. Also if you have already extended your wheelbase that needs to be modified to. Just the upper link to get the axle to line up for the drive shafts.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 AM

Here is the link to the .pdf:

[link=http://www.knibbet.com/wk_servo_mount.pdf]WK Servo Mount[/link]

Nice work! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM

I don't expect too many people to make one, but if you do you must turn off all page scaling and print it as a landscape to keep the correct scale.

Thanks again for hosting it Reiko.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 PM

alrighty, it's time for me to get a WK. I have held off on getting one for a while and i refuse to wait any longer, but i need a little help. up to this point i have only worked with nitro cars/trucks so the whole electronics and ESC stuff is a whole new set of jargon. Anyways, i was planning to get the WK with no electronics. I have a Tx and Rx for it already but am curious about ESC's. Would the Associated A.I. Quantum Runner Reverse be an ok/good choice. It was on tower's site as a "customers who bought this also bought yada yada" so it must be somewhat popular. plus it's waterproof. Next on the list are batteries, I have a charger that i use for my Rx packs so that should cover charging, but any suggestion on battery packs would be greatly appreciated. Also, is the motor included? Thanks for all the help everyone, i'm looking forward to this weekend!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 PM

where do you mount your links?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 PM

how come you people say the wheely king isnt water proof, look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUFnTavAL8Y
Old 02-27-2008, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

some people get lucky, thats all. there are plenty of people with wheely kings that were not so lucky....
Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: dacaur

where do you mount your links?
I was thinking of using longer back screws and bolting them to the bottom of the plate, but you could also add some suspension stays to the bottom if you use countersunk screws.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: dacaur

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

some people get lucky, thats all. there are plenty of people with wheely kings that were not so lucky....
I bet many of them were inspired by that video. That was one of the first WK videos and I think the first of a 4x4 WK. Its actually two 2x4 WKs that were put together to make a 4x4. This was before HPI released the 4x4 or the parts to do a 4x4 conversion.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 PM

LOL thanks for that fun fact Hands!!![sm=50_50.gif]

I bet many of them were inspired by that video. That was one of the first WK videos and I think the first of a 4x4 WK. Its actually two 2x4 WKs that were put together to make a 4x4. This was before HPI released the 4x4 or the parts to do a 4x4 conversion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.