Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Kyosho Rock Force

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Rock Force

I'm looking at the Kyosho Rock Force for my next truck. I've had several crawlers over the years (mostly scale) so I don't have a problem with the apparent lack of articulation. I was just wondering if anyone has bought one already and what they think about its performance and durability. I plan to use it as an overall truck (like the Summit) for light bashing and light crawling.

Are there any obvious flaws/weaknesses in the design or materials that make it unlikely to serve my purpose?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90982.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1111529  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
K_B

Default RE: Kyosho Rock Force

The Kyosho is designed specifically as a crawler. Even by crawler standards, it's slow. Many are upgrading to the high speed gearsets. So if you plan on bashing with it, I would expect you to be quite dissappointed. If you're looking for something like a Summit, get the Summit. The quality on it is good; it's Kyosho. All of their competition level stuff is top notch as far as fit, finish and durability. For the price, I would look elsewhere if you're not gonna be competing.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Krazy Chicken

dont get it, it has the worm gear drive, so when you let go of the throttle it stops, if im wrong some one please correct me
Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
K_B

Yup... You're correct. A good point. Not a very bash-friendly characteristic.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Alpha Male

Thanks for the input. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] I had read about the worm gear a while back , but it slipped my mind. I'm sure you're right that it is not good for much other than crawling....oh well. [&o] It is still cool-looking.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM
K_B

With all that said, in the end, it's about what YOU like, not what a bunch of strangers on the internet think you should get. When I looked it over at the LHS, I went nuts for it (other than the price).
Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Alpha Male

Well, one thing that attracted me to the Rock Force over the Summint is that the RF uses one battery. I could get the same run-time out of one battery and have another ready to go, rather than waiting for two to charge. I may get the RF anyway, just because I like it.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The worm gear drive is definitely un-bash friendly. It is, however excellent for climbing. The owner of my LHS assembled one and we were messing around with it, we didn't crawl per se, but we climbed straight up some very steep rocks and ditches with ease.

It's excellent for its intended purpose, but definitely no basher.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: Alpha Male

Well, one thing that attracted me to the Rock Force over the Summint is that the RF uses one battery. I could get the same run-time out of one battery and have another ready to go, rather than waiting for two to charge. I may get the RF anyway, just because I like it.
then try the ax10 rtr, it has the servo saver, and a slipper clutch
Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: sheograth

The worm gear drive is definitely un-bash friendly. It is, however excellent for climbing. The owner of my LHS assembled one and we were messing around with it, we didn't crawl per se, but we climbed straight up some very steep rocks and ditches with ease.

It's excellent for its intended purpose, but definitely no basher.
I think the "Worm Gear" Set up is the wave of the Future, as far as Crawlers go.....Mark my Words..

Worm Gear is WAY more efficient (for Ultra Low Gearing) than a standard Diff (locked or otherwise), and I Predict that a LOT of other Companies are going to jump on That bandwagon......

Heck....I bet Modders are Buying Just the Axles (Kyosho and Losi) as we Speak and Custom Making their own Crawlers!