Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

new and need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:58 PM
87duker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new and need some insight

I am new to rockcrawlers and been looking into them some but really would like some insights from you guys. I have found alot of used ones on craigslist and some custom ones i like but im just going to screw around with it so not sure what to look for or if there is a kit that would be better. would like to keep under 250. Also if i were to build one how much do they run to build a running custom thats not all out crazy? Let me know also if u have some forsale let me know thanks.kris
Old 11-16-2009, 12:20 AM
87duker

Default RE: new and need some insight

Also would it be possible to put some wide more floatation tires on for winter as i live in northern MN.  Also i havent seen it yet but anyone make like matt tracks for rc?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:24 PM
andybenton

well i run competition ax10s but as far as tires go the stock 2.2s that are pretty standard on most crawlers will allready litterally float the crawler in water. so as far as your tires go you should be good.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:24 PM
jsowens

It really depends on what kind of crawling you're planning to do. If you're just planning on doing some backyard crawling you shouldn't have an issue staying under the $250 mark. If you're thinking of sticking with 2.2 rigs my suggestion would be to pick up a venom creeper rtr kit A on ckrccrawlers. You'd have a solid starting base, with ok electronics to get you started.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1464

It's not far above your budget...or you could pick up the creeper kit for $125, then add your choice of electronics.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 PM
andybenton

my issue with the creeper is that it has a lot of bells and whistles that arent needed. the dig has a lot of binding issues, and the axles are prety much junk the ax10 rtr is the best bang for your buck. good and durable nothing really to complicated for a new guy. great rig, and if you spring for the artr its comp ready after you add your electronics
Old 11-17-2009, 11:41 PM
adale4130

the only bells it has that are not needed are the axle lockers in my opinion,, And you can mod those to stay locked at all times.

Otherwise the axles are awesome. They had quality control issues at the beginning with over heat treatment, but thats been worked out and they are tough as nails. Ive abused mine and they wont give up.

If you must have a axial,, go with the RTC, not the RTR. big difference.. the RTR will have to be upgraded throughout to make it a worthy crawler. Spend your money wisely and its money saved.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 PM
87duker

right now im looking at a Axial AX10 Crawler RTR that is on a TCS scale chassis or a RCP wreckluse tuber jeep AX10 Scaler 2.2 to be built. Any advice on either? I thinking i will be spending closer to 300 to 350 from what i been seeing. please let me know before i make a choice.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 AM
cubnpede82

I have a heavily modded AX10RTR, or what used to be one, I have replaced all the electronics and most of the parts..........
and am thinking about TCS x-trailing mine, or SCX10 frame and custom links or a long body for a revo 3.3........ I'm getting an SCX 10 next spring and wanna make my AX10 a 2.2 scaler I have a JL10e comming that will have an SCX10 kit body on if the wheelbase is close. and hopefully will build a trailer for my comp rig and scx and a boat trailer someday.......
If you wanna crawl competitively, get an AX10 ARTR or KIT, or a LOSI COMP 1/10 if you can $$$ wise.
If you want it for fun and camping trips and trails... etc.... get an SCX10 or a AX kit and frame rails
MRC's are awetome, and tcs has a scale mini chassis now........... 239 RTR with 2.4

Don't buy a RTR thinking you'll be using the electronics forever....... but if all you can afford is that I'd go SCX10TR or RTC not rock racer
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
87duker

99 % chance it will be just to screw around with but i have found out about a group somewhat local that compete so would do that sometime possibly but if i got into that i probably see what they all run and see whats most common and used. The ax10 im looking at is mild scale so think it would do ok. not sure how the electonics are one it as i would upgrade over time and do few things to it. From what i seen there is a lot of ax10s for parts new and aftermarket so that looks good and money isnt a big issue but dont want to dump alot as not sure how much i will like it