Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide!!

Okay so Christmas around the corner and holiday bonus coming up at work....

Too many things I am itching to buy...

I live in Houston,Tx so keep in mind the nearest large scale track is about 30-40 min drive away. Which is why I made my own crawler course in my backyard and have a few 1/10 touring cars and a 1/16 erevo vxl to keep me occupied with the nearest small track about 15 min away.

I've been wanting a waterproof scaler rig on forever now and since Axial just released the Honcho kit Iwas leaning on that idea but I already picked up a real good deal on the Summit so that handles my water/mud fun.

Now after looking at my current fleet of cars/trucks I really want something that I do not overlap in terrain/track ability.

1. DF-03Ra (waterproofed)
2. TT-01E
3. T-Maxx 3.3
4.Revo 3.3
5. 1/16 E-Revo VXL
6. Summit
7.Axial AX10

I am looking at the SCX10 Honcho, CC-01, High-Lift, or CR-01...

I have been dreaming of the Baja 5b SS forever now...so which way to go...baja or scaler rig?

What will be my total start up costs on a Baja 5b SS and scaler rig? Also maintenance costs?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Help me decide!!

I'd go with a scaler,but that's just my personal preference. You have to decide for yourself which you want more.

While I love the cr01, I would take it off your scaler list since you already have a crawler and looking at scale appearance, the cc01, highlift or scx10 would be more realistic. The high lift would be the most scale with a multi function unit.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

Really depends on what sort of crawling you want to do... if it is just tooling around your homeade rock pile you may just want to build a scaler your Summit is very similar to a scaler... I would say go with the Baja or maybe build an AX-10 Comp crawler... Baja will run you alot more in the long run, a comp crawler is generally expensive initially if you mod for comp crawling, but is going to be bullet proof after you are done... I have aboy 1200.00 into my axial, but all told the only parts I ever end up replacing are the delrin links that break once in a blue moon during a hard tumble...
Old 12-18-2009, 06:40 PM
alexchen86

I have an AX10 which I am always modding up right now and a Summit already. Which is why I am looking for something different.

With the Baja 5b SS kit around $850 and a nice radio set around $300 I am assuming it will be about $1200-$1300 with tax and whatnot to get started right?

However the space to run a Baja will be in question and how often will I get to run it would be about 2 times a month versus getting a scaler rig I will use about every weekend just like my AX10 and Summit.

I guess I will get the new SCX10 Honcho after Xmas or before....I already have an extra XL-5 and Traxxas 2075 waterproof servo laying around and with 1.9"s I think that servo will do just fine....I just want to have a scaler that I can do mud runs with and fully waterproof.

Will a 2075 servo be overloaded as I already blew one out running it on my AX10 if I decide to run 2.2"s on the SCX10?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 PM
jtnktz
My Feedback: (4)

That baja is an amazing car and a blast. Next to no maintenance on it and they are really fun cars.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:37 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: alexchen86

Will a 2075 servo be overloaded as I already blew one out running it on my AX10 if I decide to run 2.2''s on the SCX10?

Not sure, since I've never run a traxxas servo. Trail running and scale crawling aren't as hard on servos as full blown rock crawling, though, so it might be alright.