Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Basics of RC Sailing

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Basics of RC Sailing

Old 04-07-2005, 05:34 AM
ICE929RR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basics of RC Sailing

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know any sites that can teach the basics of RC Sailing and the “sailing” terms ?

Pics and videos are wellcome

Tks in advance

ICE

Old 04-07-2005, 05:53 AM
wismerhell

Default RE: Basics of RC Sailing

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/boat_nomenclature.htm

http://www.rcyachts.net/sail_fast.htm

http://www.myrc.org/Library/Library.htm

Google is your friend!

Have loads more..just ask.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:10 AM
ICE929RR

Tks wismerhell
Old 04-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Pecos45

Good sites, W.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:01 PM
pompebled

Hi Louis,

The best way to learn RC-sailing is to get your boat in the water and start sailing her, making your own mistakes and getting better all the time!

I know I do (make mistakes I mean...)!

I made some changes to my jib and was testsailing this afternoon, in the rain, nice hobby we have...!

Regards, Jan.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Lennie

Hi everyone! I just found this site and I think you might have saved me... I would like some advice and help though.

We bought our son a !QUOT!Sea Lite! - (I know not the best model bu it's OK for an eight year old and he is really pleased). The issue I have is !QUOT!setting the sails!QUOT!. We tried today but not a lot of joy...

I do not know a great deal so here goes...

The Main sail does not appear tight enough, (it catches the wind and !QUOT!billows!QUOT!, even when the sail is !QUOT!boon?!QUOT! is tight to the mast; you can adjust the sail and rudder by RC - (and yes it has a silly little engine but that's not part of the issue here - It's a !QUOT!toy compared to most I know!QUOT!.

Anyway, we moved a few things around and with some advice from a guy sailing his boat, we nearly got there. The issue is the boat still turns to the wind and then !QUOT!stops!QUOT!, forcing you to use the rudder and then stopping any speed... Are there any tips or is it just trial and error in setting the sails and we will learn over time?

The god news is he really enjoyed himself, despite the !QUOT!challenges!QUOT!; the bad news is he rather fancies a motor boat !QUOT!they look easy and fun!QUOT!. I know once the sails are set he'll find this is much much better!

Thanks...
Old 11-12-2021, 07:50 PM
CLage

Agree
Old 11-13-2021, 02:00 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
Hi everyone! I just found this site and I think you might have saved me... I would like some advice and help though.

We bought our son a !QUOT!Sea Lite! - (I know not the best model bu it's OK for an eight year old and he is really pleased). The issue I have is !QUOT!setting the sails!QUOT!. We tried today but not a lot of joy...

I do not know a great deal so here goes...

The Main sail does not appear tight enough, (it catches the wind and !QUOT!billows!QUOT!, even when the sail is !QUOT!boon?!QUOT! is tight to the mast; you can adjust the sail and rudder by RC - (and yes it has a silly little engine but that's not part of the issue here - It's a !QUOT!toy compared to most I know!QUOT!.

Anyway, we moved a few things around and with some advice from a guy sailing his boat, we nearly got there. The issue is the boat still turns to the wind and then !QUOT!stops!QUOT!, forcing you to use the rudder and then stopping any speed... Are there any tips or is it just trial and error in setting the sails and we will learn over time?

The god news is he really enjoyed himself, despite the !QUOT!challenges!QUOT!; the bad news is he rather fancies a motor boat !QUOT!they look easy and fun!QUOT!. I know once the sails are set he'll find this is much much better!

Thanks...
Sounds like the centre of effort of the sail plan is too far back. On most small yachts you get round that by causing the mast to lean further forward. Adjust a bit more length to the backstay, tighten the forestay a corresponding amount. Usually just a very few millimetres at a time. Many yachts have a "vang" or "kicking strap" under the main boom to stop it kicking up when the wind hits the sail. On what is essentially a toy, this has probably not been provided.
If its this one -
Amazon Amazon
- there is a vang in the pictures, its job is to make the sail keep the shape that you intended.

Last edited by mfr02; 11-13-2021 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:03 PM
AEK42

It sounds like balance, as mentioned, usually fixed with mast rake for or aft.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:25 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 121 Likes on 115 Posts

Um, guys, just a quick update. This thread was last posted in, prior to last month, 16 years ago
Old 11-16-2021, 06:10 PM
AEK42

We can still have a conversation about the thread
Old 11-16-2021, 07:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 121 Likes on 115 Posts

Didn't say you couldn't. Just making everyone aware that the OP probably won't be getting involved with the conversation
Old 01-10-2022, 11:52 AM
WGNF911

Thanks