Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

RC multihulls?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

RC multihulls?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:51 AM
tricat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC multihulls?

Hi!!!?I don't know where it went to. so I will have another go.I hope it lands in the boats/sailing video section.It appears Christmas
was a bit heavier than I thought !!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Idealist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For now pics have to be good enough -...-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69860.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	592775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19181.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	592776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32896.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	592777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24311.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	592778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37180.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	592779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm82567.jpg
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	592780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xa54937.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	592781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig23508.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	592782  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu30831.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	592783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se35305.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	592784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy98904.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	592785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi41959.jpg
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	592786  
Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Idealist

And two more general views of the Tri, showing the shroudangles when the mast is straight up and when it's angled aftward.

Name:	Ca82851.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	592795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94344.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	592796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44256.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	592797   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54342.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	592798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv16998.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	592799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk77101.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	592800  
Old 01-07-2007, 12:15 PM
martno1fan

tricat i dont think its loaded maybe when you do it again you could check its there then link it? or put it on utube and post a link to it there.
Ernst the pics look good thanks for posting them,what are the benefits of having the mast traight up or angled ?.i cant wait to see her when shes finnished.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:00 AM
tricat

hi guys,yes it's me againI have got my video up on rcu video boats as klingon 5 from cattri.This time I have checked it and it came up OK.Am still having a struggle with it all Cheers
Old 01-08-2007, 11:05 AM
martno1fan

ill try and find it mate cheers!!a link would be easier just go to your video where you loaded it right click on it click copy then come in here and click link then click paste in the box and it will put the link in here for us i still cant find it lol.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Idealist

I found the video at once! - No problem!

Thank you very much for showing it to us!!! [8D]
Old 01-08-2007, 12:20 PM
martno1fan

well ive searched high and low and its not there ?maybe you can post a link. right i finally found it she looked pretty fast in the video any chance of a closer look at her maybe get some closer video of her so we can make her out .thanks for posting it ,heres the link to the vid.[link]http://www.rcuvideos.com/search_result.php?search_id=klingon+5&search_typ=search_videos[/link]
Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 AM
tricat

Hi guys,Have just posted another video for you to look at .It is with the other one at the moment till I get the hang of things.
It should be OK as it shows a close up of it.The name klingon is a nickname as a wood or fibreglass hull will usually slide off another boat ,this one has plastic foam floats and will not let go,maybe its name should be Terrier.Idealist,I like the looks of your latest hulls !
Scotty
Old 01-09-2007, 07:16 AM
martno1fan

thanks for the vids scotty ill check out your latest one ,have you got any more tris in the pipeline? .
just checked it out she moves pretty well what happend at the end did she hit a duck? seemed to stop dead lol!!,she doesnt seem to want to sail on the one float though does she ever sail on just one float with the hull out of the water?.be nice to see that if she does.hres the link to it.
[link]http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=ef8c5a2a076eb250b8f3&page=1&viewtype=&category=[/link]
Old 01-09-2007, 11:06 AM
tricat

hi martno1fan,Glad you can see the old girl at last.At the time I was testing out how flat we could make the rocker on the floats.It was getting near to the limit and made it awkward to tack,a little more rocker at the front did cure it.Hence the sudden stop.Also the wind was light and variable with gusts.You are right about not sailing much on one float.It is the product of flexible cross beams,and a flexy rig,as they both ease the multi along with no sudden shocks.It really comes alive when it is blowing hard a.The mainsail is working like mad,you seem this when it is beating hard,flexing in and out all the time ,yet the centre hull is steady,usually just tipping the water.I have not much more in video,except my mates boat in storm rig [20-30mph gusts]but the video is so bad you can only just make the multi out. Scotty
Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 PM
martno1fan

I supose the boat will be a bit more predictable than a normal tri with the flexable beams?,i have to admit though that the sailing on one hull is what trimarans are all about and thats what makes them so much more exiting than a mono hull.Dont think im critisiszing though as she seems to sail very well ,may i ask where the lake is you were sailing her?is it in or near Leeds?.If you have any pics of her out of the water id like to see them to get some idea of your setup .Every time i see a multi i want to get started on mine but i need to be patient for a while yet ,so ill need to be satisfied looking at all the pics and videos you guys keep posting thanks again mate , Mart.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 AM
tricat

Hi guys,The Leeds/Bradford Airport is about 100 yds to the north of the lake,and it is known as Yeadon Tarn or dam.It is a public recreation water with car parks and the town is about 1/4 of a mile from it,and it is all FREE !!!!!!!!All car parks are right next to the lake.Have a look at these 3
photos from 2005 to get an Idea of what the multi is like.

Name:	Pn36547.jpg
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	594819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12508.jpg
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	594820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84304.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	594821  
Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
martno1fan

thanks for the pics mate and the info on the lake ,its a few yrs since ive been to leeds i used to be there every saturday as a lad .those were the days lol Clark,Gray,Lorrimar,the list goes on.seems like a long time ago now watching them perform with the muppets they have now !!..well at least i have my boats to keep me going .
Old 01-16-2007, 12:16 PM
martno1fan

any news on the builds guys? cowana hows the ghost train coming along?,do you have any pics of her yet id love to see them.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:02 AM
martno1fan

well nothing to report on my boat yet funds are a bit low at the moment so it will have to wait ,hows things with your builds guys? .heres a video of one a mate has built its the snap dragon she sails well but he did pitch pole first time out oops no mast buoyancy either lol.
[link]http://www.durnfords.co.uk/Snapdragon.wmv[/link]
Old 01-29-2007, 11:51 AM
tricat

Hi guys !It's post christmas there is not much spare cash around yet,cheer up This is the time for
thinking ,designing or researching.My tri is in many bits having a refit,I found my rudder post had got knocked rather hard and come out of the hull despite a good solid mounting [So I thought !]
It is back in position now with a different method of fixing,and has been left to cure till March.
Sorry could not run the video,but at the moment my mate has found out that the swing rig sometimes drops off and hangs by the sheet.As it has to be windy to capsize him,the multi floats in
about 150mm of water,which the wave action with luck and the wind action on the hull drags it all within reach from the shore[I do admit that is not always how it ends if there are any branches in the
water !]Otherwise our dumpy style rigs are just about a metre tall.Will dig out a photo if I can find it.
Cheers all !Scotty
Old 01-29-2007, 05:44 PM
martno1fan

video works fine scotty if you have windows media player? your not kidding moneys tight lol .
Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 AM
martno1fan

another vid for yaa hehe talk about a butt clencher[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN7qNMWywSE&mode=related&search=[/link]
and another of a tri setting a record of 47 knotts !![X(] this boat is sure to beat the fastest speed recorded ever by a sail boat as its only in the trial stage,speed record is a little over 48 knots i beleive.
[link]http://www.hydroptere.com/index.php4?lang=EN[/link]
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 AM
tricat

Hi guys,I can't afford the kit for the 47knt multi,but I'll go for the 4.7knts that's easyHey it's using my dumpy rig !
Old 02-01-2007, 10:51 AM
martno1fan

lol my dog swims faster than 4.7 knotts!!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Multiman

Oh dear, oh dear!!! Your dog swims at 4.7 knots? I bet it ceratinly doesn't!!! But we are not here to discuss the swimming capabiltities of our 'mutts'!!! I do know that dear Tricat's Tri certainly does more than 4.7 knots though!! Hi folks!!! Just joined on here thanks to my friend Tricat!! Look forward to joining in soon!! Been sailing Multihulls since 1994, and in particular Cats!! Have produced GRP Tris and Cats commercially, so I have 'some' knowledge of the problems of buoyancy and speed!!
I have sailed a number of different MINI40 Trimarans, including a GHOST TRAIN, which to me suffered form a lack of total buoyancy, and that in the wrong place for the Class. Buoyancy can be designed in anywhere down it's lenght, and when constricted by a Class Ruling that all hulls must fit inside a 'measurement box', then you have to have your buoyancy as far forward as possible!!!

With regards to overall performance of any individual design being better than another, there really is not that much difference! What is very important and critical, are it's sails, and how they are trimmed!!! This FAR outweighs any design discrepancy, and you can swap boats from one design to another, and the better sailer will always beat the other helman's!! This I have proved by three friends, one of which was a female skipper, all rotated their boats and sailed a race around the same course, race after race. Two were Trimarans and one a Cat, one a GHOST TRAIN, one a MACHETE, and the other a CHEETAH Mk II Catamaran. The Catamaran is a stranger beast than a Tri, and took more time to get used to. The result overall though was that in medium winds the Cat was best, and nothing to choose between the two tris in Light winds, but in the heavier stuff the MACHETE was more stable, due to the amount of buoyancy, and where it was!! The GHOST TRAIN is mostly Epoxy/Carbon Fibre, and the MACHETE is all CSM Glass Firbre and Polyester Resin, and has NO Carbon it it at all, except the mast and booms! The earlier MACHETEs were quite heavy at around 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 lbs(sorry not metric!), but the later ones had different Beams and Lay-ups and the weight was the same as a GHOST TRAIN!! The CHEETAH Mk II weighs only 4 1/4 lbs, and uses ordinary Aluminuum beams and no attempt to make it lighter!

The problem for Cats is in Light winds and heavy winds!! In light winds they sit bolt upright and you have problems in 'laying' the sail where a Tri will always tilt over at around 10 degrees. In the heavier stuff, they are so light and they can literally take off from the water!!! They DO out accelerate a Tri though, and in the three boat sail-ins would just go around the heavier tris in the lighter flukey and occasional gusts! (I will soon put on some pics to show this!!) Catamarans are far easier to construct, but more difficult to sial properly. Tris are heavier by the very fact of an extra hull, and usually having to have stronger beams. Overall, the Tri is definitely for beginners in my opinion, and if you want a Challenge, then the Cat is your beast!!!
The MINI40 Class has virtually died out in the UK, and the new trend is towards bigger 2m, or the smaller M1M. (Multihull 1 Metrte). This smaller Class has no rules, except that all the hulls are no more than 1M long, and the configuration of any number of hulls is Free!! This allows the freedom of using and experimenting with any idea, without the contriction of silly and usually financial reasons of restraint! Without a Doubt, Mutlihulls are totally different in their use and sailing needs, and CANNOT be controlled in the same way as a Monohull (YAWN!!!) is!! Try calling 'STARBOARD' or 'WATER' when there are 15 Multihulls all charging for a single bouy in heavy winds!!! Their very nature of speed and acceleration does not allow for such niceties, and is certainly not for the faint hearted!!!

The new M1M Class can be so easy and cheap to get on the water, and be so utterly rewarding in performance just using a 1Metre centre hull and two 'Foamy' floats as Tricat does with a mutual friend. Straight Carbon beams and even using the ordinary 1M sails will get you started and enjoying this Class!! Certainly with any Multihull, Low Aspect Ratio sails are far more in tune than High Aspect Ratio as in Monohulls(Yawn!)!! Like the buoyancy, the Centre of Effort MUST be kept as low as possible, and also as far back as you can get it!!! Again the efforts of Tricat and Mr X have proven that this is the way to go, along with some efforts of my own in using my CHEETAH Cats!! Cats in particular need to get the bouyancy, stability( the overall beam) and Centre of Effort just right or you will capsize!!

The use of Tail foils for some reason has not made the effect you would imagine though! For a start, and depending on not only the size but the negative angle, the Tailfoil on Rudders only works at a given speed! Speed is the amount travelled through the water, and so they are certainly no good if you are struck by a sudden gust! On my Cheetah, it would lift a hull until it got to a certain speed then suddenly slap the other hull down in the water and shoot off like some tied down Roller Coaster car!! It certainly acted as a foil should! Having said all that, I was sailing one day with Mr X(our mutual frined) and a resevoir on a very windy and gusty day!! Such were the gusts that my dear CHEETAH took off as I was about to tack, rolled sideways up the bank breaking off the Tailfoil, the next gust bowled it back into the water, and UPRIGHT, and the thing screamed off up wind without any problem despite the lack of the Tailfoil ! When I did manage to turn it back on a Broad Reach(as NO Multihull should be sailed straight down wind!!), it only finally capsized when again hit with another gust! With the amount of wind, unless you had very large foils all the way around the boat, was it ever going to stay upright!! Also in the Sail-ins, it was not proven that having a Tailfoil on in very light winds made any difference in drag either!!! It would seem therefore that you either like them or not!!! All I can say in my own experience is thay are at best DRAG!!

Enough rambling for now! All the best to one and all!! Multiman.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
martno1fan

multiman if you had a sense of humour im sure you would have realised i was joking with tricat but not about the dog lol!!! as for your post thanks for sharing your thoughts yawn i think the lack of volume on the ghost train has been mentioned allready if you care to check the rest of this thread also.you say you have produced boats comercially so can you tell us what boats? when where and can we see a pic of one?.in other words let us know who you are?.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Multiman

Sorry to be so boring, Martno1fan!!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM
tricat

O-oo-ps guys !?OK martno1fan ! your right on the button my vet has warned me not to try and race my two cats 'cos he says they do not like water! Any rate the fur causes too much drag !!!?? 4.7knts would be a bit much till they hit dry land.Well my latest venture is
down the lane of crabclaw sails on a catamaran,I have a few photos of it but not sailing,as the experiment I was trying was a 100%
failiure/disaster !I could not get any directional speed to the hull and therefore could not get the sail setting[much to my embarresment
not even downwind !!!!?]I am at the moment going to use a front steering rudder and foils[Two old CD s]stuck through the foam outriggers.I know that it will work when I start to get some form of control of the hull and the sail.In other words if I apply a bit of common sense instead of mucking about,but the trimaran is top of the class for me and must come first.I will get the photos of the cat with crab claws{a multihull Mr Vet}sail on my profile.Cheers guys welcome aboard Multiman ! Scotty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.