Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

DH 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: DH 2

Art,

Very exciting project!!

If you guys are interested in adding a small detail to youe DH's that won't take much $$ or time: I had Vikie @ GetStencils.com make up the Airco strut decal. She made them as a rub on type of decal, are proportined correctly, and use metalic ink (copper and gold) per the originals.

I would post an image but RCU is broke I think...

John
Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: John Cole

Art,

Very exciting project!!

If you guys are interested in adding a small detail to youe DH's that won't take much $$ or time: I had Vikie @ GetStencils.com make up the Airco strut decal. She made them as a rub on type of decal, are proportined correctly, and use metalic ink (copper and gold) per the originals.

I would post an image but RCU is broke I think...

John
Good idea! I had her make dry transfer logos for my Nieuport 28 and they worked beautifully.

Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 AM
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right "Frick and Frack"....

That " pocket protector wearing, pole dancing, smartie pants Greg" MADE ME throw down with you guys on the 2012 ODP deadline!

So Jim I expect you at Art's x-mas party because we (you and Art) have alot of stuff to help me work out! LOL

HPA
Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 AM

Art,

Where did you guys find the Alan Morgan plans source? And just curious but how do you reach in to flip the prop on a beast like a DH2?

Dave<br type="_moz"/>
Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Horsepoweraviation

All right ''Frick and Frack''....

That '' pocket protector wearing, pole dancing, smartie pants Greg'' MADE ME throw down with you guys on the 2012 ODP deadline!

So Jim I expect you at Art's x-mas party because we (you and Art) have alot of stuff to help me work out! LOL

HPA
Maybe I'll bring mine with me, if I can convince my wife that we should take the van. The plane should be mostly framed up by then. Art's should be too. BTW, did he fall asleep? He hasn't posted any pictures for a while!

Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: semeraro

Art,

Where did you guys find the Alan Morgan plans source? And just curious but how do you reach in to flip the prop on a beast like a DH2?

Dave<br type=''_moz''/>
I'm using an engine that has an electronic ignition. It starts easier than a magneto engine. I'll be wearing a leather glove and hopefully it will not be too hard to reach over the boom and flip the prop.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Art,

Dave<br type=''_moz''/>
Dave, I'll be using an engine with a spring starter. In this case, the magneto engine, IMHO, is a better choice than an electonic ignition engine......for me it definately is!
I have no idea where the plans came from - Barry was the culprit that introduced them to the groupl

So Paul, does that mean you will have a 1/3 scale AND a 1/2 scale DH2 ready by next year's ODP?

Just asking.....no pressure you understand.

No Jim, er, I mean I'm awake now.[8D]
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: R/C Art

Art,

Dave<br type=''_moz''/>
Dave, I'll be using an engine with a spring starter. In this case, the magneto engine, IMHO, is a better choice than an electonic ignition engine......for me it definately is!
I have no idea where the plans came from - Barry was the culprit that introduced them to the groupl

So Paul, does that mean you will have a 1/3 scale AND a 1/2 scale DH2 ready by next year's ODP?

Just asking.....no pressure you understand.

No Jim, er, I mean I'm awake now.[8D]
No... Art......... that means I will have the BUSA 1/3 scale Camel and the 1/2 Scale DH2 ready for ODP 2012!

(I'm hoping that 2 extra prop tips and 3-4 extra cylinders will help me start mine)

HPA
Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Don't get me wrong, build what you like, but am I the only one who thinks the F.E.8 looks better than the DH2?

J
Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: jtisch

Don't get me wrong, build what you like, but am I the only one who thinks the F.E.8 looks better than the DH2?

J
I just don't quite [:-] understand ........they are BOTH ugly as hell[:'(] and I still don't don't know why I am building either one of them.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:00 PM

R/C Art, you just made my day.

J
Old 10-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J
I just don't quite [:-] understand ........they are BOTH ugly as hell[:'(] and I still don't don't know why I am building either one of them.
I looked hard at doing a 1/6 scale DH1a vs. a 1/6 scale FE2b. The DH1a has a certain elegance, but I kept coming back to the FE2a precisely because it was UGLIER! It's an awkward, misshapen beasts but is seriously loaded with FUNK!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well at least with the DH2 if the motor caught on fire or blew hot oil out it would be BEHIND you..and of course if it went in nose first you could always STEP OUT of the plane just before it HIT !
Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 PM

J

Jim forced you at gun point!.........remember?[X(][X(][X(]

HPA
Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Horsepoweraviation

J

Jim forced you at gun point!.........remember?[X(][X(][X(]

HPA

Oh yea, I seem to recall something of that nature taking place.......[X(]
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 PM
My Feedback: (14)

focus........boys..........FOCUS!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 AM

Steve,....we do.....every 5 minutes we......Oooooh shinny.... focus on something new......squirel!!..
Old 10-06-2011, 02:48 AM

ORIGINAL: vogel605

Steve,....we do.....every 5 minutes we focus on something new..

I've noticed!!!!

BTW.... Whats the scoop on the BUSA Camel you keep talking about????

steve
Old 10-06-2011, 02:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZw3o...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uTKcQZ1p0Y&NR=1

here's some inspiration
Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 AM

They're BUSA Pups bashed into Camels......they will be interesting with the HPA upgrades.....or maybe entertaining is what I'm looking for.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:08 AM

Ian Redshaw, WWI scale modeler extraordinaire, makes puppets for a living! Now there's a life! [8D] Gives you a new way of looking at RC models!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Vogel I would LOVE to see any pics of the camel versions of the 1/3 pup.. A friend of mine is considering doing that to a partially built pup he has...

Since I am SLOWLY finishing my pup, he wants a camel.. Is there another thread I have missed with any info?

Didn't mean to sidetrack/hijack this thread.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:08 PM
My Feedback: (4)

DH2, to me the 2 stands for 2 many wires, it is a neat airplane, I like the pusher setup, then there is all those wires.
I'm not building one but I live about in the middle of all those that are so I'm sure I'll see some of the progress in person,
(that should make the heckling a lot easier), did I mention there are a lot of wires I HATE WIRES

As far as focus, this group, come on, lets get real now............ I'll be watching the progress, that is if I remember to......[8D]

Del

Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM

On the topic of Plug-in Wing panels, this was a subject of some limited discussion at Hoosier Dawn Patrol. I would like to revisit the topic to get the ideas out on the table... Here's what I recall:

One method is attractive for it's simplicity: wooden dowels protrude from the center section which go into corresponding holes in the ribs of the outer wing panels (reinforced with plywood bushings). With the lack of a guide tube, the dowels are typically not more than 2 rib sections long. Easy to make & proven effective, but it does rely entirely on the flying wires to carry the flight loads & to retain the dowels in their respective holes.

Another idea mentioned was to use aluminum tubing on the center section (male) & cardboard tubes (female) on the panels. Because of the cardboard guide tube, this system could span several rib sections & would seem to be stronger for supporting flight loads than the short wooden dowel method, should the flying wires ever fail. A little heavier, a little stronger, a little more work to make.

There's also the aluminum joiner bracket system. Sig makes one, I've seen others on RCU make these out of just strips of aluminum stock. Basically an aluminum joiner strip on one end goes into a C-channel bracket mounted in the wing panel & is captured with a socket screw. This would be very strong, provided the C-channel brackets were supported by enough wooden structure in the wing to distribute the loads. This would be the heaviest option & so maybe it wouldn't seem as attractive for the smaller 1/4 scale DH2.

For the aluminum / phenolic tube system, do people typically drill a hole through the cardboard & aluminum tubes & run a bolt through them to prevent the aluminum tube from backing out of the cardboard tube (should the flying wires stretch)?

Are there any other joiner designs people are considering?

Greg
Old 10-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Greg

I am doing the wooden dowel method.

Each wing panel is built in 2 sections.......the inner wing and the outer wing. Once built, the inner wing will stay assembled to the fuse, along with the first set of struts and all the control cables. With my method the tail booms also stay attached to the wings and fuselage nacelle.

Field assembly will consist of plugging the outer wing panels into the inner wing panels, attach the wires and go fly. Much like the BUSA 1/3 Pup.......quick and simple.

These pictures show the upper right wing panel (s). The inner wing panel will plug into center section, then the outer into the inner.....and the wires hold it all together.

The last 2 pictures show another right wing panel under construction. Normally 2 right wing panels meant that you had screwed up.......not on this plane, because the top and bottom wings are built the same.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42884.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1671028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31904.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1671029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58958.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1671030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20986.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1671031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69250.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1671032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54556.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1671033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90739.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1671034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70791.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1671035  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.