Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Dave Johnson 1/4 scale Albatros DIII

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Dave Johnson 1/4 scale Albatros DIII

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 AM
feep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Barzini, I found the the article. It's for a 1/3 scale but it will come in handy.
I'm still investigating the engine. right now I am leaning towards a DLE 35A. Any thoughts ?
Old 11-26-2014, 03:12 PM
barzini
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the same engine recommended by the designer.A Cheetah 42.I just could not mount it upright and cut up my Mercedes D3 dummy engine.I dwelled on this for weeks than I saw Balsa U.S.A. came out with the 1/3 scale DVA and the engine was inverted! So I inverted mine and it worked out great!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:57 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by feep
Thanks Barzini, I found the the article. It's for a 1/3 scale but it will come in handy.
I'm still investigating the engine. right now I am leaning towards a DLE 35A. Any thoughts ?
How much will it weigh, and what is the wing area? Those are the keys to figuring out engine size. I am going to guess that the 35 is small. I have a 55 DLE r in my 1/4 Fokker DVII and it is perfect. Had a G38 in it and removed it as it was underpowered.

I have a DLE 35 R in my 1/4 DR1 tripe, and I think it is perfect in that plane. It is smaller than the DVII or the Albatros though.

Keep in mind, that these WW1 models like to have a bigger prop. It really has an effect when landing, as the extra air over the tail really help out on touchdown. The DLE 55 really improved the landings on my Fokker DVII. In fact, I was able to pull off a perfect 10 score on one of them at the AMA Nats this last summer. The engine had a lot to do with that, as much as that may surprise some.

In my opinion, you are better off to have a little more than you need than not enough. The 55cc will spin a 22"-23'" prop, while your 35 will be in the 19" range. That is a big difference.

Last edited by vertical grimmace; 11-26-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:22 PM
barzini
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take into consideration that the DIII has a narrow cowl and a 55 probably will not fit.My engine had a rear muffler which was a big plus.The 35 might be light and you will have to add weight to balance it.My 42 balanced the plane perfectly.It has a jump start on it so I do not have to use a starter.Where are you getting a spinner?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:24 PM
feep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VG, that's very interesting about the G38 in your D7. I had the same setup and it was perfect. I never flew at more than 1/2 throttle. In fact, i had my D7 set up to choke out the engine with full down throttle and down trim and if I was landing and forgot to trim down the throttle a little the plane would float and over shoot the runway. I like a little extra power as well.

barzini, I am going to investigate the Cheetah 42.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:28 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by barzini
Take into consideration that the DIII has a narrow cowl and a 55 probably will not fit.My engine had a rear muffler which was a big plus.The 35 might be light and you will have to add weight to balance it.My 42 balanced the plane perfectly.It has a jump start on it so I do not have to use a starter.Where are you getting a spinner?
I will bet that the DLE 55 will fit, if you choose the rear exhaust version. I have flown my DVII at many different altitudes, but I fly primarily at 5200'. That may be the difference in our experience. Plus, I will bet my G38 was not performing optimally, as I used the stock muffler, and not sure I ever got it propped down correctly. That being said, the large diameter prop is a blessing.